Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sutton United Ladies put their head above the parapet

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gents (and Ladies) reading some of the responses are we not allowed to have a debate now? (How long before Sir Keir shuts down NSC, after he’s banned fags in beer gardens? 😂)

It came up on my feed this morning, and many on here know boxing is also another sport I love and what went on in Paris was not only farcical but relevant to this subject.

Aside from their brief dalliance with the EFL, Sutton United are one of the most respected non league football clubs in the country, so for this issue to arrive at their door, it clearly will have people talking about (if we’re allowed to 🤷‍♂️)

Well, since you started the thread and want to talk about it and have a debate Lenny, maybe you should say what you think ???

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
3 pages already. Wow. So unfair that biological males feel the need to do this to hardworking female athletes and take their places. So sad that posts like #2 get so many likes on here when they’re nothing to do with the actual point. Nobody is dismissing struggles in life. I’m sure they’re the same people virtue signalling for equality between the sexes in society. Piers Morgan / Sharron Davies etc have this all right - it’s mental anyone can advocate for big biological males to play and potentially hurt females, as well as steal their places in sport. Mental if anyone agrees they should be able to in my opinion. There has to be a woke line even for some of NSC Ffs.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gents (and Ladies) reading some of the responses are we not allowed to have a debate now? (How long before Sir Keir shuts down NSC, after he’s banned fags in beer gardens? 😂)

It came up on my feed this morning, and many on here know boxing is also another sport I love and what went on in Paris was not only farcical but relevant to this subject.

Aside from their brief dalliance with the EFL, Sutton United are one of the most respected non league football clubs in the country, so for this issue to arrive at their door, it clearly will have people talking about (if we’re allowed to 🤷‍♂️)
I'm not sure Sir Kier reads NSC to be honest.

I'm pretty sure we who do moderate it don't really care about Mail articles about mini culture wars controversies one way or another so long as people debate it civilly, Maybe THIS thread will be the one where they do, who knows?!

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Maybe I am recalling it wrongly, but there was often talk of him being on the short side for a keeper..

Even 6ft is 'short' for a goal keeper. Average in the PL last season was just over 6' 2" apparently. The smallest was David Raya who is 6ft and a smidgen. So if Ryan is 6ft - he's short for a pro keeper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As Greavsie used to say “It’s a funny old game“

This one is clearly going to run and run, but as with the recent Olympic Boxing row, there has to be a level playing field, women have to only play against women surely?
It really isn't going to run, let alone run and run.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I hate this issue. Both sides have very valid points and it's just sad for the people involved. The trans woman wants to be a woman, as far as they are concerned they are a woman, and they want to play sport for the same reasons as the rest of us because of the fun, camaraderie, enjoyment, social and physical well being you get from sport.

At the same time people play sport to win, and it's totally understandable they see the unfairness of someone born a biological male lining up against them. If the player was rubbish (like a trans girl in my daughters team) no one cares, but yes, I agree it's unfair. But the individual then gets excluded from sport altogether and that's sad, moreso because they're probably going through a lot in life as it is. There's no winners here, just vulnerable people being used as political footballs.
I think we need to go back to first principles here. Why did they have a separate category for women's sports in the first place?

It was because men have a physical advantage over women. Full stop. Nothing to do with societal or social reasons, but because of the physical advantage. Trans women still have the physical advantage, therefore they can't play women's sport however they may choose to live in normal life. No difficulty at all that I can see. They can still play men's football, of course.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I'm not sure Sir Kier reads NSC to be honest.

I'm pretty sure we who do moderate it don't really care about Mail articles about mini culture wars controversies one way or another so long as people debate it civilly, Maybe THIS thread will be the one where they do, who knows?!
Just because the link in the OP is a Mail article, I don't think it should just be dismissed. And it certainly isn't a 'mini culture war controversy'. Saying that just dismisses the legitimate concerns of women in sport.

Someone else who supports this view is Sonia Sodha - who writes for the Guardian/Observer and is someone whose opinion's I respect.

Another clear example of the failure of international sports bodies to protect women's sport.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
OP in divisive Daily Mail style post shocker. Let's all discuss this tiny tiny issue again that doesn't affect the vast majority of us, that is complex and sensitive and ignore the bigger issues.
Yep, the OP has even chosen to label them 'Sutton United Ladies'. Good grief!

How did the Brighton & Hove Albion Gentlemen get on at the weekend @Lenny Rider?

The armed forces have done a lot of study into hormone therapy treatments and the impact of gender reassignment and surgey on muscle loss and gain. Their studies show and equalling out, but only after a period of 3-4 years.

Studies are inconclusive on time ranges, but it shows that there is an equalling relating to cisgender people.

The question is whether men and women should have the right to have biological categories. That then begs the question of what is a man and what is a woman?

If someone is painfully born into the wrong body, are you going to deny them the right to identify as the correct gender if they are prepared to undergo all the surgery required to reassign.

Also, in society in general - not sport and this thread aside - who cares if someone is a he, she, they, them, cis, bi, gay, trans? At some point in the future, I hope none of us give a toss what label we choose to use.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just because the link in the OP is a Mail article, I don't think it should just be dismissed. And it certainly isn't a 'mini culture war controversy'. Saying that just dismisses the legitimate concerns of women in sport.

Someone else who supports this view is Sonia Sodha - who writes for the Guardian/Observer and is someone whose opinion's I respect.

Another clear example of the failure of international sports bodies to protect women's sport.
I mean, there's horrific wars in Gaza and Ukraine, the change today of our entire school inspection system, our Paralympains having a 'super Sunday' and then there's a ladies non league game getting cancelled due to 'bloke in a dress' concerns.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Yep, the OP has even chosen to label them 'Sutton United Ladies'. Good grief!

How did the Brighton & Hove Albion Gentlemen get on at the weekend @Lenny Rider?

The armed forces have done a lot of study into hormone therapy treatments and the impact of gender reassignment and surgey on muscle loss and gain. Their studies show and equalling out, but only after a period of 3-4 years.

Studies are inconclusive on time ranges, but it shows that there is an equalling relating to cisgender people.

The question is whether men and women should have the right to have biological categories. That then begs the question of what is a man and what is a woman?

If someone is painfully born into the wrong body, are you going to deny them the right to identify as the correct gender if they are prepared to undergo all the surgery required to reassign.

Also, in society in general - not sport and this thread aside - who cares if someone is a he, she, they, them, cis, bi, gay, trans? At some point in the future, I hope none of us give a toss what label we choose to use.

Brighton & Hove Albion Women - good grief!

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 09.46.40.png

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Nobody is 'born into the wrong body'. Your body is what you are born with, what you live with, and what you'll die with, irrespective of how you feel about it, present it, or surgically change it.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I mean, there's horrific wars in Gaza and Ukraine, the change today of our entire school inspection system, our Paralympains having a 'super Sunday' and then there's a ladies non league game getting cancelled due to 'bloke in a dress' concerns.

But this isn't just because of a ladies league game getting cancelled. It's a tiny part of a much bigger conversation that is taking place about protecting women in sport. Your comment about it being due to a 'bloke in a dress' is quite disgraceful to be honest and is quite revealing.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
To play in goal, depends on how tall they are surely? A 24' x 8' goal is enormous compared to your average 5'5" female.
Without weighing in too heavily on such a sensitive subject. Why do we think the average female is in goal for Sutton Ladies?

Look at any elite sport, male or female, and you'll find that those selected are far from the physical average. Do we really think the average bloke could stop 7'4, French NBA superstar Victor Wembanyama on the court? Surely, if we're deciding that a women being six foot is an unfair advantage, we should apply the same to all sport?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here