Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex v Sri Lanka

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
this match would be a good control condition in an experiment looking at the effect on mood of following a cricket match via the internet...

all the same processes of time spent clicking and surfing and F5ing etc but without any of the excitement

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
NASHY STRIKES...!!!!!!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
BarrelofFun said:
:clap2:

Linley seems to have bowled well 1/22 off 13. Looking forward to seeing him bowl.
yes, he seems to be shaping up fairly well... good work from Robbo to take a chance on him

ps
the other Div One games aren't going too badly at the moment - fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Sri Lankans 283/4 (97 ov) v Sussex
Stumps

Sri Lankans won the toss and elected to bat first

DPMD Jayawardene 45*
TT Samaraweera 3*

RJ Kirtley 0/53
LJ Wright 1/43

Last wicket: 268/4 WU Tharanga c Kirtley b Wright 140

From today's Argus:-

Cricket: Let us have one-dayers
by Bruce Talbot

Sussex are urging the ECB to schedule them one-day matches against touring teams in the future after supporters snubbed the game against Sri Lanka.

Only about 500 watched the first day's action at Hove and chief executive Hugh Griffiths says it is unlikely that gate receipts will cover match expenses and staff costs over the four days.

Instead of longer games he wants Sussex to be able to stage more lucrative limited overs fixtures against the tourists, preferably under floodlights.

All 18 first-class counties are asked to state their preference for tourist games before the fixtures are compiled.

Sussex's first choice was a one-day game against Pakistan, who arrive here next month, and their second preference was a one-dayer with the Sri Lankans. What they got was their fourth choice.

Griffiths said: "I'm not criticising the ECB because they have a virtually impossible job of keeping all the counties happy - I don't want to start a slanging match with them.

"But you would have thought from Sri Lanka and Pakistan's point of view it would have been better to get used to English floodlights and the white ball before their one-day series.

"Commercially and from the public's point of view they are much more attractive games for us.

"When we played West Indies in 2004 the ground was nearly full and we sold out corporate hospitality. Commercially a single one-day game is a lot better than four days unless it is against someone like Australia.

"For a lot of our members the tour match is probably below the Championship and all three one-day competitions in their list of priorities and I'm afraid that is reflected in the number of people who come through the gate."

Meanwhile cricket manager Mark Robinson has defended the selection of an understrength team to play Sri Lanka.

Only three of the side which beat Nottinghamshire in last week's Championship game are in action - openers Richard Montgomerie and Carl Hopkinson and all-rounder Luke Wright. Sussex have just one day when they are not either playing or travelling to games between now and June 12 and Robinson says their big names need to rest.

Cricket: Now it's Sussex's turn to suffer
by Bruce Talbot

Sussex now know just how Freddie Flintoff and the rest of the England team felt at Lord's earlier this week.

Sri Lanka's appetite for crease occupation was clearly not sated after they saved the first Test by batting for more than three days.

Sussex's attack stuck to their guns admirably at Hove yesterday but on an easy-paced pitch the Sri Lankan top order batsmen were queueing up to justify coach Tom Moody's decision not to select veteran Sanith Jayasuriya.

A month after announcing his retirement from Test cricket, Jayasuriya was reinstated into the squad at the insistence of chairman of selectors Ashanta de Mel last week to bring his considerable experience to a flaky top order.

He was expected to get his eye in against Sussex ahead of the second Test next week but Moody decided instead to give his youngsters more experience.

It was his way of saying he did not agree with the decision.

Moody was vindicated when opener Upal Tharanga scored 140 - his second hundred of the tour - out of a first-day total of 283-4 from 97 overs.

Solid contributions from Jehan Mubarek and Michael Vandort will have given Moody more selection problem ahead of the Test.

Meanwhile, when he was not straight-batting questions from the Sri Lankan media, Jayasuriya happily spent the day doing 12th man duties.

The pitch is one of those relaid by former groundsman Derek Traill and although there was some occasional steep bounce to contend with at the sea end it played pretty well.

Tim Linley and Ollie Rayner, both making their first-class debuts for the county, caught the eye.

Linley has a smooth, repeatable action and bowled a consistent length. He showed excellent control, particularly in his nineover opening spell when he conceded just 15 runs, and in partnership with Luke Wright helped apply the brakes on after Sri Lanka's openers had rattled along at four an over for the first hour.

Linley's big moment came in his third over when he had Mubarek caught in the covers off a mis-timed drive, ironically from a delivery which he pitched up a bit more than most.

In the 14 overs before lunch Sri Lanka scored eked out just eight runs and Tharanga was stuck on 46 for 37 balls before reaching his half-century with a sumptious straight drive off the first ball after the interval.

The 21-year-old accelerated towards his hundred, which came off 124 balls with 15 boundaries, with some crisp strokes on both sides of the wicket as he helped fellow left-hander Vandort put on 113 for the second wicket in 48 overs.

Rayner also impressed in two long spells either side of lunch up the slope. He was not afraid to give his off breaks plenty of air and it must have been slightly galling for him that the partnership was broken not by him but by part-time off-spinner Chris Nash who trapped Van-dort leg before sweeping his third ball.

Tharanga was dropped by Neil Turk off Linley on 106 before departing to the second new ball when he mis-timed a pull off Wright to mid on, having batted for five-and-a-half hours, faced 253 balls and hit 18 fours.

Duncan Spencer was expensive early on but bowled much better when he adjusted his length and he removed the dangerous Kumar Sangakarra after tea.

Skipper Mahela Jayawardene came down the pitch to spoil Rayner'd day by hitting him through the leg side for two fours and a six in successive deliveries.

Ominously for Sussex, he looks to be in the mood to repeat his Lord's heroics where his hundred went a long way towards helping Sri Lanka save the match.

Removing him early today will be key to Sussex's hopes of making sure they avoid the sort of hard labour England's bowlers had to endure a few days ago.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I expect alot of people were put off with the weather and perhaps non members were put off by the £15. Cheap comparatively, I know.

I think one day matches would be much better, although the Sri Lankans do need practice in the 4 day games. Difficult one. Perhaps more ECB funding for the tour matches, to make sure the counties break even.

1066gull

Who needs Flintoff and Hoggard when we have Mushy and Naved what ever it is;) :D

1066gull

BarrelofFun said:
I expect alot of people were put off with the weather and perhaps non members were put off by the £15. Cheap comparatively, I know.
I'll ask if sheebs is going tonight, if he is I'll ask if he can take me down. Wouldn't mind seeing Sussex face the Sri Lankans at that price

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
290-5 Kirtley strikes with the 2nd over of the day.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Batsman Runs Balls 4s 6s
J Mubarak c Heather b Linley 26 52 2 -
WU Tharanga c Kirtley b Wright 140 252 18 -
MG Vandort lbw b Nash 44 152 3 -
KC Sangakkara c Wright b Spencer 17 46 1 -
DPMD Jayawardene c Hodd b Kirtley 45 64 6 1
TT Samaraweera not out 19 61 1 -
CK Kapugedera not out 25 45 2 -
Extras (0b 2lb 4w 2nb) 8
TOTAL: 5 wkts , 111.4 overs 324
Fall of wickets: 1-73 (73 Mubarak, 69 mins), 2-186 (113 Vandort, 167 mins), 3-224 (38 Sangakkara, 51 mins), 4-268 (44 Tharanga, 40 mins), 5-283 (15 D P M D Jayawardene, 33 mins)
To bat: H A P W Jayawardene, K M D N Kulasekara, D N T Zoysa, S L Malinga
Bowler O M R W nb w
R J Kirtley 26 5 67 1 0 2
D J Spencer 18.4 2 65 1 1 1
L J Wright 25 7 68 1 1 1
T E Linley 14 5 24 1 0 0
O P Rayner 18 4 72 0 0 0
C D Nash 10 1 26 1 0 0

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
bollocks...

Yorkshire miss avoiding the follow-on by 3 runs - should still survive with a draw though

Good news from Headingly ...

Lancashire 417/9d v Yorkshire 265 & 177/1d (59 ov) (f/o)
Match drawn

Which means we're still top of the Table.

County Championship - Division One Table
P W D L Batting Bowling Pts
1 Sussex 4 3 1 0 7 11 64.0
2 Lancashire 4 2 2 0 15 12 63.0
3 Hampshire 4 2 1 1 9 12 53.0
4 Warwickshire 4 2 1 1 10 11 53.0
5 Durham 3 2 0 1 10 9 47.0
6 Kent 4 1 1 2 13 11 42.0
7 Yorkshire 5 0 3 2 9 13 34.0
8 Nottinghamshire 3 0 1 2 6 6 16.0
9 Middlesex 3 0 0 3 4 9 13.0

And Nottinghamshire v Durham seems to be heading for a draw.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
brightonfan_86 said:
I think Kirtley will retire at the end of the season, he aint getting used to his new action, and he is getting sick off getting reported for his bowling action.

Think he should retire now. I would not want him to struggle through this season. Concentrate on his fund raising and help the youngsters I say . James has been a great Sussex player and should be remembered as such.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here