Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex University Car Park users...

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Any University car park users got any feedback, either good or bad, and either generally or specifically after last night ?

Would be very interested to hear how long it generally takes to get away, which exits are used, etc, etc .

Many thanks in advance folks....

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
We ended up in the very top car park which exits virtually onto the top road that filters out onto the A27 in both directions. Walking back to the car the traffic was minimal and flowing freely with only a few cars coming off the A27 up the slip road and it looked a good route to get from and get straight onto the A27 especially since as you approach the A27 Brighton slip by the mini roundabout it has its own filter lane and you don't clog up the mini roundabout. Unfortunately they had 6 (yes six!) stewards stood by some temp barriers preventing anyone using this route and were instead sending everyone south thru the uni towards the gridlocked southern exit route. I asked the stewards if they were going to apply some common sense and open the route up to reduce the congestion and aggravation but they all just stood there like a bunch of stunned meerkats and the too difficult light came on. 'Club rules sir, we can't do that" and other such comments were made. Can't one of you have the confidence to simply make a decision and open this route up, there is ample capacity to let the cars from this one car park and even some of the others out from there, I politely enquired? Cue uneccessary and aggressive, confrontational response from this bunch of dullards apart from one who did say, "I agree with you I can't see why this exit isn't being used". I simply walked off in despair at this point, got in my car with my passengers, drove to the back of the car park where the road led to an open barrier which led to the top road a hundred yards further back and sailed past the stewards with a cheery wave.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
It works Ok in my experience other than the jams caused by the phasing of the two sets of lights when you exit by Stanmer Park. The second set are set to go green for about half the time of the first set leading to long tailbacks. It would be understandable if there was lots of traffic coming across the lights from the other directions, but there never is. Seems to me the phasing needs to be reset for the hour or so after each game and it would be a doddle. But I assume there is a good reason why this can't be done (although can't see it myself as a mere road user!).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it works fine. I have used it for the two cup games and Blackpool. Averages about 10 minutes to get out I'd say. I left after clapping the teams off for the two cup games and about 40 mins post match for Blackpool.

In response to the comment about the a27 exit the club tried this for the Spurs game and it led to horrendous queues with the Uni car park traffic competing with the a27 and AMEX traffic in general. The club now use the Stanmer Park exit which makes more sense as the point of entrance and exit is well away from the main stadium traffic. This is the right decision in my opinion. I also think the a27 exit is used for the shuttle bus to help mobility impaired supporters to the ground so it needs to be clear of all other traffic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would be understandable if there was lots of traffic coming across the lights from the other directions, but there never is.

I guess the idea is that the a270 is kept free flowing, so you could argue the lights work perfectly? Even with the lights the way they are the car park seems to clear reasonably quickly. Let's not forget it holds 700 cars.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I used it last night, left at end of game, walked back to car and got out in no time at all, parked in car park 3 and only had 2 cars in front of me at the lights. A good system, just a shame I did not bye that season ticket for the Uni!!! back to parking 20 mins from the ground and walking on Saturday!!!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I guess the idea is that the a270 is kept free flowing, so you could argue the lights work perfectly? Even with the lights the way they are the car park seems to clear reasonably quickly. Let's not forget it holds 700 cars.

True...and to be fair I had no problems until Blackpool when it took a while. in the great scheme of things it works OK but regret I am impatient!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is this not the answer to all the problems.

All those who are upset about getting out of the stadium side car parks swap with the disabled fans who need to be close to the ground.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Seems to be working fine for me...last night was the longest wait to get out..10-12 minutes. Yes, did get stuck top exit at the Tottenham game but now go out Stanmer Park way....well worth the investment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True...and to be fair I had no problems until Blackpool when it took a while. in the great scheme of things it works OK but regret I am impatient!

I understand there was a Mountain Bike competition at Stanmer Park for the Blackpool game. This might have affected things.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this not the answer to all the problems.

All those who are upset about getting out of the stadium side car parks swap with the disabled fans who need to be close to the ground.

Would they want to swop now the shuttle bus is up and running successfully?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here