Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Sussex Senior Cup, Semi Final 03.03 -19.15 KO, Brighton and Hove Albion v Worthing***

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A right old moan up from the commentary team, not exactly impartial. Making fun of Yapi, or his name and accusing the ref of being from Bognor?
It did sound like we missed a host of chances and should have put the game to bed before extra time....but a win is a win:albion2:

Worthing hate Bognor with a passion.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That was a good game. Both teams played well. There are some good players coming through. No idea if they'll make the massive leap to the first team. Good turnout from Worthing youth behind the goal. All enjoyed themselves. Very enjoyable.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Worthing were a younger team than I expected. I'd thought it would be some non-league journeymen against our delicate academy kids but wasn't like that at all. Good match.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
That was a good game. Both teams played well. There are some good players coming through. No idea if they'll make the massive leap to the first team. Good turnout from Worthing youth behind the goal. All enjoyed themselves. Very enjoyable.

Next steps would be loan experience. Both Jordan and Archie Davies look good. As do O’Horo, Yapi, Richards and Tojal on tonight’s performances.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Wicked deflection for the winning goal, I thought they deserved to take it to pens on the balance of play.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The chants tend to refer to Rebels rather than Mackerels, although you’ll occasionally hear a “comon you Mackerel Men” shout, probably from an older chap.

As a kid I used to go and see Worthing before I started venturing across to the Goldstone, and I am sure they were the Rebels then.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Worthing were a younger team than I expected. I'd thought it would be some non-league journeymen against our delicate academy kids but wasn't like that at all. Good match.

Probably shouldn't be surprised, given that former Albion academy coach Adam Hinshelwood is manager. They have a lot of former Albion pros/academy players in their ranks. Of their starting XI, Jesse Starkey, Danny Barker and Reece Meekums are all former Albion pros; Jasper Pattenden and Ricky Aguiar were in the academy. On the bench, Budd is a former Albion pro and they also have last season's scholar Cam Tutt in their ranks who wasn't involved tonight (and former Albion U-16 Callum Kealy, who is currently on a dual-registration with Sutton United). Even their sub Connor Hunte, who is on loan from Dulwich Hamlet, had a trial with Albion, playing for the U-21s against Swansea City in March 2014!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Next steps would be loan experience. Both Jordan and Archie Davies look good. As do O’Horo, Yapi, Richards and Tojal on tonight’s performances.

Richards was always looking to make something happen. He hits his passes quickly and accurately. I'd add Roberts to your list. He always looked as though he had time. And the No 2 was swift. Blimey. Yapi showed potential, just too many touches at times.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Probably shouldn't be surprised, given that former Albion academy coach Adam Hinshelwood is manager. They have a lot of former Albion pros/academy players in their ranks. Of their starting XI, Jesse Starkey, Danny Barker and Reece Meekums are all former Albion pros; Jasper Pattenden and Ricky Aguiar were in the academy. On the bench, Budd is a former Albion pro and they also have last season's scholar Cam Tutt in their ranks who wasn't involved tonight (and former Albion U-16 Callum Kealy, who is currently on a dual-registration with Sutton United). Even their sub Connor Hunte, who is on loan from Dulwich Hamlet, had a trial with Albion, playing for the U-21s against Swansea City in March 2014!

And Finn Stevens was in Arsenal set up for years until released about a year ago

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Thank you for your knowledge! Always interesting to see that even if a player is dropped from the academy they can carry on enjoying football.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Cracking game last night, really enjoyed it. The Albion just seemed to have a little more about them in the end but Worthing gave them a really stern test. Yapi the stand out player for me, totally electric pace, if only his head could keep up with his feet. I think the term raw talent was invented for players like Yapi, if you can harness that speed and get some real production out of him there will be a hell of a player there. I kind of wondered if Lamptey could offer the 1st X1 something similar.

Was supporting the Albion last night, but as I am missing out on Wolves Saturday I'll be at Woodside Rd Saturday to cheer on the Rebels.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So Eastbourne in the final, was that not the very first game at the Amex the Sussex Senior Cup Final v Eastbourne and Gary Harts last game, that was a lovely day if I recall.

Where and when is the final this year ?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
So Eastbourne in the final, was that not the very first game at the Amex the Sussex Senior Cup Final v Eastbourne and Gary Harts last game, that was a lovely day if I recall.

you are correct, Brighton U23's (or maybe it was 'Development Squad' at the time) vs Eastbourne Borough was the first game at the amex

the final is always at the amex now but not sure when it'll be

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Most the finals in the past were at the Goldstone, since the AMEX was built they have all been played there.

Normally they are played around the first two weeks of May 5-12th however I am sure some have been played as late as the last week of May.

Brighton with the second highest wins (14) in the competition (excluding Brighton Rangers) play Eastbourne Borough 3 time winners, however if you include all the Eastbourne clubs they have won it a total of 23 times.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

the final is always at the amex now but not sure when it'll be

Most the finals in the past were at the Goldstone, since the AMEX was built they have all been played there.

Normally they are played around the first two weeks of May 5-12th however I am sure some have been played as late as the last week of May.

Dates of the last few finals:-

Tuesday May 7 2019
Wednesday May 9 2018
Wednesday May 3 2017
Friday May 20 2016

The first five finals at the Amex were on Saturday afternoons, but the last four have been evening matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here