Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex senior cup final at the amex !!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm actually MORE lkely to attend this (if the Albion get there) than any 'high-profile' friendly, against some Premier league side's reserves.

At least it is a competitive match. My two young kids would love to watch the Albion in a cup final, whatever the status of that cup.

Hope they get to the final now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Agreed 100%. I wish some of these posters on NSC would realise the importance of a good non league set up in Sussex which the Amex and success from Brighton would achieve. Sadly there are many on here who are totally ignorant to non league, the fact that this cup final was always played at the Goldstone and Brighton will probably be in said final. Looking forward to it personally.

I'll be looking to attend because for me it will be my first ever chance to see inside The Amex-from inside. Maybe we can re-sign Kerry Mayo if the Albion make it to the final...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
10,000 for a Sussex Senior Cup Final match featuring OGH and the Albion ressies would be MINT.

:cheers:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Excellent choice for a ramp up event much better than a low key pop concert of unknown bands. A chance to test out the ground and for the players a chance to play in front of possibly the biggest ever crowd for them although if Albion get there it wont be so for many of the old hands.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
Anyone know about the attendances of previous finals of this competition.
I think to me it is clear that this is a 'business' move as they would get hardly anyone going to this game as I haven't even really heard of this competition or thought it was taken seriously. By putting it at the amex they will be sure to sell out as fans can say 'I was there' bla bla bla. Ridiculous.
Should of been Brighton against a good premiership club or someone who deserves to play in the first game at the amex (or Lazio), now at least one team who doesn't deserve to play there will be playing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyone know about the attendances of previous finals of this competition.
I think to me it is clear that this is a 'business' move as they would get hardly anyone going to this game as I haven't even really heard of this competition or thought it was taken seriously. By putting it at the amex they will be sure to sell out as fans can say 'I was there' bla bla bla. Ridiculous.
Should of been Brighton against a good premiership club or someone who deserves to play in the first game at the amex (or Lazio), now at least one team who doesn't deserve to play there will be playing.

I'm not sure you could cram any more WRONG into a post if you tried.

1. The Sussex SC is a pruod old competition in it's own right.

2. The final of the cup was traditionally held at Albion's ground. It was held at the Goldstone for YEARS.

3. The ramp up events are by DEFINITION limited capacity. Are you really advocating getting Barcelona over, then watching 30,000 people fight for 10,000 tickets?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why should a premiership club have more right to play at the stadium than a team that has won its way through to the major final for all Sussex football at all levels.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008

2. The final of the cup was traditionally held at Albion's ground. It was held at the Goldstone for YEARS.

3. The ramp up events are by DEFINITION limited capacity. Are you really advocating getting Barcelona over, then watching 30,000 people fight for 10,000 tickets?

The annoying thing is i usually am open to people giving opinions and so on but i'm afraid i know i am right on this one.
It is not a big event 'anymore'. It is nothing and i'm sure most albion fans will tell you this and won't recall any famous moments or anything from this 'cup'. And you wont find any of those fans on here anyway.
I do hope the reserves/youngsters don't get there so that Albions first game at the Amex can be decent.
Although all things a side, i would rather just get a first league win there as i see this as the most important thing and would be the better experience.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm guessing they won't be opening all the stands for this game? West Lower, West Middle and North only?

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008

also did a little research to see if i could back up my comment...605 people went last year.
cash from no where for the albion, cant blame them but wasted history!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The annoying thing is i usually am open to people giving opinions and so on but i'm afraid i know i am right on this one.
It is not a big event 'anymore'. It is nothing and i'm sure most albion fans will tell you this and won't recall any famous moments or anything from this 'cup'. And you wont find any of those fans on here anyway.
I do hope the reserves/youngsters don't get there so that Albions first game at the Amex can be decent.
Although all things a side, i would rather just get a first league win there as i see this as the most important thing and would be the better experience.

The SSC might not be a significant competition for the Albion, and for Albion fans, but there are quite a number of fans who follow the smaller clubs in Sussex who do see this competition as important to them. Of course you wont find many of these fans on here anyway - they'll be on their own boards, should they have one.

It might come as a bit of a surprise, but football in Sussex does not begin with and end with the Albion. BHA has links with a number of local clubs, which has been of mutual benefit to both over the years. The stadium needs a ramp-up event; regulations mean that the club can't start with a big match. This is an ideal match, as it salutes the traditions of football in Sussex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think that you are 100% wrong on your theory. The major event for every club within the county FA structure is The County Cup so much so that under FA rules EVERY club in the country has to take part including all of the premiership clubs unless like Crystal Palace used to with Surrey FA, they did a deal to obtain an exemption. The clubs all play in either the Senior Cup, Intermediate Junior or Lower Junior depending on their status in league so it is befitting that the Senior Cup should be played at the club ground of the most senior club in the county. The prestiuge that goes with this fixture should never be underestimated nor diminished

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
also did a little research to see if i could back up my comment...605 people went last year.
cash from no where for the albion, cant blame them but wasted history!

You are UTTERLY missing the point.

This is not about making money, regardless of what you may think. The club has to hold these events to test the facilities, and get a safety certificate granted.

The SSC has always traditionally been played at the best club ground in the county. Traditionally that was the Goldstone. In the Withdean years its been places like Eastbourne. To NOT invite the Sussex FA to hold it there would be arrogant of us, and disrespectful of Sussex football in general.

I'm guessing you are about 17.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ticket prices when announced, will answer the question of whether 'STD's (nice acronym btw) whiny theory holds any water.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
The SSC might not be a significant competition for the Albion, and for Albion fans, but there are quite a number of fans who follow the smaller clubs in Sussex who do see this competition as important to them. Of course you wont find many of these fans on here anyway - they'll be on their own boards, should they have one.

It might come as a bit of a surprise, but football in Sussex does not begin with and end with the Albion. BHA has links with a number of local clubs, which has been of mutual benefit to both over the years. The stadium needs a ramp-up event; regulations mean that the club can't start with a big match. This is an ideal match, as it salutes the traditions of football in Sussex.

it is brightons stadium...end of argument.

i have been a season ticket holder for the past 6 years and follow the albion all round the country and stick to my family roots of being born in brighton but growing up in slough all my life i guess i just dont understand the big deal of this cup.
but im sorry if it offends you but i feel it should be brightons day as its our stadium, i dont care about the rest of the teams in sussex or any other team apart from Brighton.
i feel strongly about this opinion and i'm sure most albion fans will be disappointed by this news. it wont affect anything though and as i've said the biggest game will be the first league game even if we do get barcelona for the first game :p ...(or Lazio)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The ignorance of those that know nothing about the non league football on their doorstep is quite staggering. With a successful League club the non league is an important step for youngsters coming through the ranks. I find the arrogance because of our gleaming new stadium quite unbelievable. The SSC is older than BHAFC itself and since the pre-war years has also been playing the cup final at the premier Sussex ground, namely the Goldstone. In the days of 1,000 plus crowds in the non league the SSC final used to generate crowds of up to 20,000, so this won't be the biggest ever attendance for an SSC final. It is a perfect opener for a ramp up match, involving Sussex teams and Sussex players on a reduced capacity for those at the club to monitor how matchday operations go. It is also refreshing to see those posting on here who have a knowledge of the non league history and it's importance to non league clubs, heads up to you guys.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
You are UTTERLY missing the point.

This is not about making money, regardless of what you may think. The club has to hold these events to test the facilities, and get a safety certificate granted.

The SSC has always traditionally been played at the best club ground in the county. Traditionally that was the Goldstone. In the Withdean years its been places like Eastbourne. To NOT invite the Sussex FA to hold it there would be arrogant of us, and disrespectful of Sussex football in general.

I'm guessing you are about 17.

20 actually :p i guess you are about 60 and living in the past??
anyway banter a side i respect your opinion but this is a bad call.
anyway just got back from a hard nights work, off to bed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Then possibly you should attend the Berkshire Senior Cup Final which will probably be held at the Madjeski Stadium. Without local football there would be no League or Premiership football.

You are wrong in your assumption that you are speaking for most BHA supporters I would think. Most of thejm realise that we have to have these ramp up events and this is an ideal opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here