Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex release Saqlain Mushtaq

Argus story

Saqlain is quitting Sussex
By Bruce Talbot
Comment
Saqlain Mushtaq is leaving Sussex.

The 30-year-old off-spinner is quitting the county champions for family reasons with a year remaining on his contract.

Coach Mark Robinson explained: "Saqlain's faith is very important to him and he wanted his children educated in a Muslim school and unfortunately there is not one in Sussex.

"He asked to be released from his contract and we reluctantly agreed. Sometimes you have to do what is best for a player and his family."

Speculation that Saqlain was leaving intensified on Saturday when he did not take part in the celebrations which followed Sussex's third title in five years.

The county were hoping that Saqlain would eventually become Mushtaq Ahmed's long-term successor.

They took a gamble on signing a player who had undergone major surgery on both knees and he did not make his first-team debut until the Twenty20 Cup in June.

But helped Sussex reach finals day for the first time and took 14 wickets in three Championship games as well as scoring a half-century in the crucial win over Yorkshire.

However, he picked up another knee injury against Durham a fortnight ago and was unable to play in the title-clincher against Worcestershire.

His departure leaves Sussex with three slow bowlers on the staff - Mushtaq, Ollie Rayner and Tom Smith - the last two still unproven at first-team level.

Robinson added: "Saqlain did brilliantly to get himself fit and he came into the side and helped us over the line in the Twenty20.

"It was fantastic to see him and Mushtaq - two world-class spinners - bowling in tandem when they did and he spent a lot of time with the young spinners on the staff."

Saqlain may base himself in the midlands and is hoping to find another county. He is the third member of the Championship-winning squad to leave after Rana Naved was released and Richard Montgomerie retired.

Tickets for this Saturday's celebration dinner at Hove Town Hall are still available, priced £50. They can be purchased from the club on 01273 827100.

5:18pm today

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
he can barley walk, although he is a great player, maybe it is for the best.
At least he was part of a championship winning team in his only season.

And a beard to rival Mushys, time for OllieRayner to step up i feel

Another good thing is his wages were high, and will release lots of cash for us to sign hamilton-brown and joyce

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
good time for rayner to step up then

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Shame as Mushy won't last for ever.

I can fully understand his situation - Is there not a Muslim School in Crawley?

Oh well, thanks for the (albeit brief) memories.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he can learn how to bowl instead of chucking it.

Yes, he has got a dubious action. I wonder how long before he's called.

He does give the ball a tweak though - deffo one for the future.

I suspect that Will Beer will be given a contract next season; he's taken a few for the Seconds.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Yes, he has got a dubious action. I wonder how long before he's called.

He does give the ball a tweak though - deffo one for the future.

I suspect that Will Beer will be given a contract next season; he's taken a few for the Seconds.

Dont quote me on this, but I think he has been called a few times in club cricket. When he gets sent to prove himself he bowls with a gun-barrell straight arm.

Speaking to friend of mine who played club cricket against him this season he said that some balls were coming out of his hand at eye level!!:eek:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dont quote me on this, but I think he has been called a few times in club cricket. When he gets sent to prove himself he bowls with a gun-barrell straight arm.

Speaking to friend of mine who played club cricket against him this season he said that some balls were coming out of his hand at eye level!!:eek:
CMJ in The Times last week described Ollie as a "young offspinner whose action is still developing...." :lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Saqi leaving to join another club is very bad news... yes, he suffered a recurrence of his knee problem right at the end of the season but prior to that he had been instrumental in our stuffing of Yorkshire and excellent in several limited overs matches... Sussex put huge amounts of resources (financial, physical and emotional) into getting Saqi back to bowling fitness and with his batting ability to throw into the mix he is still potentially a massive player in county cricket - maybe he will / maybe he won't, but I'd have liked him to be at Sussex while we were finding out...

the silver lining is greater opportunity for Ollie and Will Beer

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I cant believe with the muslim population we have in Brighton & Hove that there isnt a muslim school quite frankly in the area!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Saqi leaving to join another club is very bad news... yes, he suffered a recurrence of his knee problem right at the end of the season but prior to that he had been instrumental in our stuffing of Yorkshire and excellent in several limited overs matches... Sussex put huge amounts of resources (financial, physical and emotional) into getting Saqi back to bowling fitness and with his batting ability to throw into the mix he is still potentially a massive player in county cricket - maybe he will / maybe he won't, but I'd have liked him to be at Sussex while we were finding out...

the silver lining is greater opportunity for Ollie and Will Beer

Don't forget Tom Smith. Captained the 2nd X1 to the championship, scored runs and took wickets.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Don't forget Tom Smith. Captained the 2nd X1 to the championship, scored runs and took wickets.

Although in his one first team appearance against Notts in the Pro 40 this season he did not look ready.

With Beer coming through as well, Smith's chances might be limited.

Maybe next season some of these younger lads should be loaned out to a second division side, as is now allowed.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I am saddened by this as I thought Saqqy was quality when bowling in tandem with Mushy. I cannot help thinking that there is more to it than we are being told. Surely he would have known the position about schooing wen he signed. Things could not have changed that much in less than a year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here