Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Police and crime commissioner election.... A simple mans view.

Liberal Democrat: David Rogers: = Definitely NO - not after what they tried to do to our club. And I don't care if I am tarring them all with the same brush or refusing to let bygones be bygones. Not ONE LibDem of any description spoke out against FPC, LDC or Baker. They can all rot.
I'm somewhat surprised that no-one on NSC has made much of the fact that David Rogers was a leading light in LDC's campaign against the Falmer Stadium. Shoulder to shoulder with the rest of them ...

lewes_district_councillor_ann_de_vecchi_meeting.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Candidates round here are all either failed local politicians or complete nonenties - total waste of time, space and money.

Vote NO.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Voting for the Independent because he's independent. No other reason. He might be a part of the KKK for all I know about him though

Was largely my thinking. Armstrong was independent before being adopted by UKIP though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My Thinking:

Choose My PCC | The following 5 candidates are standing for election in: Sussex police force area

Tony Armstrong said:
I am not a politician. I was a 30-year career police officer until I retired. I believe in what I am doing – I have given up my job, and I am funding the £5000 election deposit myself. I will not make promises I do not know I can keep, but I do promise to be honest with you. At this stage I do not know how much funding for community support groups will be available.

I do not want to increase the police precept unless I absolutely have to.

My priority will be to reduce the effects of Government cuts in Police funding by reducing inefficiency. Although Sussex Police are well on the way to meeting the target they have been set, I will work to ensure that the available money is spent in the most effective manner.

I believe that it is more effective to reduce the number of criminals than it is to investigate, detect, prosecute and imprison offenders who have already committed crime.

Targeting known, active criminals is one way of quickly reducing the number of crimes committed by taking criminals off the streets.

Increasing the number and strength of Neighbourhood Policing Teams is another. These officers work closely with the residents of a small area and integrate with them. This is a return to old style policing.

I shall invite community groups to make a one-page request for funding, summarising how much funding they need, what they will spend it on and evidence that their project will be effective.

I shall also endeavour to ensure that Victim Support funding is not reduced.

Please read more details on PCC Sussex.

For the victim, not the criminal.

Address prepared by my election agent, Chris French

Pros: Career police officer,
Cons: Representing UKIP and I struggle to take UKIP seriously

Katy Bourne said:
MY EXPERIENCE

• A commercial background which includes building, managing and selling my company and investing in start-up businesses
  • A public service background as school governor and local councillor – I understand the importance of community engagement and accountability which will be vital to this role
I believe my combination of commercial experience and public and voluntary work has equipped me to undertake this role with a delivery-focussed and financially-disciplined approach.

MY AIMS

• To be highly visible and a strong voice representing local people in the fight against crime
  • To work hard to identify waste and inefficiencies so that savings are reinvested into frontline policing
  • To put a Special Constable in every rural village to reconnect the public with their ‘local Bobby’ thus allowing the police to concentrate full-time resources in those areas that require more attention
  • To give victims a strong, local voice for the first time and by funding services to help those who are affected by crime thus placing victims back at the heart of the criminal justice system
  • To support community safety partnerships and programmes that tackle drugs and alcohol misuse to prevent crime
  • To prevent offending by working with all agencies to achieve a targeted approach – preventing an escalation of early bad behaviour represents commons sense, both financially and for society
  • To focus on rural, business and serious and organised crime
I want to enable Sussex Police to drive down crime, tackle antisocial behaviour and domestic abuse and provide visible, effective neighbourhood policing to the standards that residents of Sussex expect and deserve.

My vision is to ensure that we are all Safer in Sussex.

This form has been prepared by my Election Agent Ginny Heard
www.katybourne.com

Pro: The only minority standing so might be more alert to the needs of minorities, despite standing as a conservative
Cons: No experience as police, lists commercial experience as a qualification for policing and I don't see that, puts a lot of focus on rural policing and villages lots of 'I want to do this' but very few 'I aim to achieve this by...'

Ian Chisnell said:
Election statement:

“Preventing crime” is at the heart of my approach to this exciting new role.

I have a successful track record of working with people in all parts of Sussex. These include projects to reduce crime and support people in ways that official initiatives alone cannot achieve. I have lived in Sussex for 34 years. I have worked with businesses, charities and individuals throughout Sussex for over 20 years, in both rural and urban settings. For over a decade I served as Chair of a multi million pound social work charity working with disadvantaged young people.

I was an Independent Adviser to Sussex Police for eight years and understand their strengths and weaknesses. This post demands strong leadership, a quality I have shown over many years in a number of roles; the Police and Crime Commissioner must also work in partnership with a range of organisations in Sussex, many of which I have current experience of. I have considerable experience of managing volunteers to resource many organisations in the Criminal Justice System. As residents and workers, we can all play a valuable role in keeping our workplaces and neighbourhoods safe from crime. Particularly those crimes which matter most to many of us, such as car theft and anti social behaviour. This depends on being adequately supported by professionals. If elected I would focus on some specific themes:

• addressing the fear of crime
  • providing adequately for victims of crime
I wish to pay particular attention to crimes of:

• domestic violence
  • hate crimes
  • people trafficking
recognising the suffering these unleash on their victims.

Finally the impact of drugs and alcohol trigger many crimes, so these deserve priority consideration. This statement has been prepared by Ian Chisnall
http://www.Ian4PCC.com

pros: Prepared his own statement, independent, experience working with police and groups, focus on domestic violence, hate crimes and people trafficking
cons: he looks off (I know that's not a good con, c'mon leave me alone!)

Godfrey David said:
Election statement:

Sussex needs a Police & Crime Commissioner with wide experience of Criminal Justice. Godfrey Daniel was a Member of the Sussex Police Authority for over 7 years and a member of the Sussex Probation Board for 6 years. He has been a magistrate since 1989. He wants to “Cut Crime not Police”.

His family home has been in Hastings for the last 26 years, after moving from Frant (near Wadhurst). He studied at Sussex University for 4 years, living in and around the Brighton & Hove area.

Godfrey has had a successful career in teaching, fostering, residential social work and local government. He is a Hastings Borough Councillor (since 1994) and an East Sussex County Councillor (since 1997). He is the Chair of Planning on both those Councils. He is also involved in the mental health field as an Associate Hospital Manager for Sussex Partnership Trust. He tries to find time to sing in choirs and supports various musical societies.

Godfrey believes that Sussex Police must work closely with the local community to sustain and enhance neighbourhood policing and dealing effectively with antisocial behaviour. His priorities include reducing domestic violence, hate crime, alcohol and drugs issues.

He strongly opposes moves to privatise police services (eg G4S) and cuts to policing.

Godfrey was the Lead Member for Volunteers on the Police Authority, and looks forward to working closely with the voluntary sector in Sussex.

Godfrey Daniel has a lifetime of experience in public service and his knowledge of policing and strong commitment to the people of Sussex is very evident (www.godfreydaniel.org.uk). Godfrey is not afraid of making tough decisions.

Sussex deserves a credible, competent and capable Police & Crime Commissioner. If you agree, please vote for Godfrey Daniel.

Form prepared by election agent John Leahy

Pros: Sussex Alum, supports musical societies. Experience as magistrate and on probation board
Cons: I'm always wary of people who say things like "I'm not afraid to make tough decisions". sings in a choir. Experience as a coucillor

David Rogers said:
Election statement:

David Rogers for a safer Sussex

I’ve lived in Sussex for nearly 40 years, over 35 of them as an elected councillor. My children grew up here. It’s a great place to live. Now I want to make it even better and safer.

I know and understand all parts of our diverse area, as during that time I’ve lived in Brighton & Hove, West Sussex and East Sussex.

My priorities:

• Cutting bureaucracy to help the police spend more time on the streets
  • Giving new powers to communities to tackle anti-social behaviour
  • A new approach to community sentencing
  • Targeting extra resources to cut all forms of domestic violence
As a long-standing member of the Sussex Police Authority until three years ago, including a two-year term as Chair (2001-3), I have a strong track record of working on crime and disorder across Sussex

It is vital that the new Police Commissioner should stand up for a common-sense approach to crime and antisocial behaviour, as many police officers want.

Work together to cut crime

The Police and Crime Commissioner must work in partnership with others, including councils and local health organisations.

• Alcohol is a factor in about 44% of violent crime: I will work with the Accident and Emergency services at Sussex hospitals, and local councils, to address these issues.
  • One million women in England & Wales experience domestic violence each year; health services can help support them to report this.
  • Drug users are responsible for over one third of acquisitive crime like burglary: effective treatment can cut their crime levels by about half.
I hope that residents across Sussex will back me on November 15th to act for them.

For more information visit: david4safersussex.com

Message approved by Robert Banks

Pros: Lid Dem, cutting bureaucracy, common sense approach, focus on domestic violence, drugs and alcohol as causes
Cons: Lib Dem cutting bureaucracy and common sense approach seem the sorts of bland things people just say

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
p.s. I don't have a vote living in London but for what it is worth I think the whole thing is undemocratic and a waste of money. The existing Police Committees remain a better option.

I echo this exactly, except I am in Hampshire rather than London.

The Hampshire candidates are all fairly pathetic. It goes against the grain not to vote, but it seriously might be either that or spoil the paper as a protest against something I don't think should be happening.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The police in this country are scum. In the future this generation of police officers should be remembered in the same vein as the SS and the Japanese death march guards. Murderers.

No, they are not. They are ordinary men and women, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, doing a dangerous job for a monthly salary. It is the regular and dangerous people they deal with on a daily basis who are the scum.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The police in this country are scum. In the future this generation of police officers should be remembered in the same vein as the SS and the Japanese death march guards. Murderers.

Oh arse. You rumbled me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My thoughts :
Tony Armstrong - career policeman. Not sure he knows enough about policing at a strategic level but his experience has to stand him in good stead.
Katy Bourne - Lightweight, bangs on about her experience of running a business but the police isn't a business and her failure to acknowledge that rules her out (that and the fact that she's a tory and I will never vote for a tory)
Ian Chisnall - God botherer but seems to have some experience and ideas.
Godfrey Daniel - Experience as a member of the police authority, Probation board and as a magistrate. The only one to put a leaflet through my door.
David Rogers - Experience as a former member of the police authority. He's a LibDem though and therefore not to be trusted in any way, shape or form.

It would have been far better if candidates had not been allowed to show their allegiance to, or support by, any political party, having them judged on thier own merit.

I will be voting for godfrey Daniel as my first choice and Ian Chisnall as my second choice.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi Mr Blues rock Dj I still havent forgiven you for selling me that spare ticket against Crystal Palarse last year :lolol:

Here is the link I had a quick read and as like many not got the time to read up on them so made a quick choice on things that jumped out at me.

Sussex Police and crime commissioner election
thanks for posting that. The lib dem one seems to make far more sense. Can't believe people are linking him to bellotti. :facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm somewhat surprised that no-one on NSC has made much of the fact that David Rogers was a leading light in LDC's campaign against the Falmer Stadium. Shoulder to shoulder with the rest of them ...

lewes_district_councillor_ann_de_vecchi_meeting.jpg
Thanks lord B, my previous post now looks foolish, it's going to have to be a spoilt paper for me.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I echo this exactly, except I am in Hampshire rather than London.

The Hampshire candidates are all fairly pathetic. It goes against the grain not to vote, but it seriously might be either that or spoil the paper as a protest against something I don't think should be happening.

That my be so David, but at least we have an Independent ( with only a slight whiff of Conservatism) who has experience in the previous version of the job. All the rest appear to be ex or career Politicians, with or without a stain on their characters. So it looks like Hayes for me.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Its no wonder the country is in such a state when people have such stupid reasons for voting or not voting.

And I count myself in this, because I would not vote Lib Dem if they paid me, all because of a former Liberal MP for Eastbourne.
No relevance to today's politics, or today's PCC elections but fact.

Some other similarly small minded people won't vote Tory because of Margarate Thatcher, others won't vote Labour because of Blair. Mad

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have never spoiled a ballot paper, but today I might. Not voting doesn't say a huge amount, going in and scribbling through your ballot paper is a formal protest as the effort has been made to show your opinion.

This whole process stinks. No coverage, no backgrounds, no campaigning, this isn't democracy, this is again creating jobs for the boys. £75m for this process alone. Total omnishambles. This is The Thick Of It in real life.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have never spoiled a ballot paper, but today I might. Not voting doesn't say a huge amount, going in and scribbling through your ballot paper is a formal protest as the effort has been made to show your opinion.

This whole process stinks. No coverage, no backgrounds, no campaigning, this isn't democracy, this is again creating jobs for the boys. £75m for this process alone. Total omnishambles. This is The Thick Of It in real life.

You have took the words out of my mouth. The Police have a Chief Constable, and I elect my MP and Councillors, so i feel I do not need another politician.

i never thought I would do this as people have died for my right to vote, but for the first time, as a protest I am just off to spoil my ballot paper.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You have took the words out of my mouth. The Police have a Chief Constable, and I elect my MP and Councillors, so i feel I do not need another politician.

i never thought I would do this as people have died for my right to vote, but for the first time, as a protest I am just off to spoil my ballot paper.
I'm weakening a bit. I have voted in every single election and referendum (European, national and local) since I became 18 in 1975. Every single one. It really goes against the grain to boycott this one as my boycott can just be interpreted as voter apathy, so IF I get time today I will go down and spoil my paper. I hope they publish the 'spoil' results.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm really struggling with this. Our candidates in Surrey are similarly confusing, my only criteria for choosing was that they be a) a former copper, and b) independent of a political party. The only two coppers on the list are the UKIP candidate and an independent who failed to get Tory backing (presumably for being too right wing). The only other independent candidate isn't a copper but was the chairman of the existing authority.

I'm a bit stuffed really...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Look at it this way - I support Brighton & Hove Albion, and it's like being told - because my elected representatives said so - that I can't do that because it was originally an arbitrary decision foisted upon me by my circumstances, and must support Chelsea, Portsmouth or Crystal Palace instead. I have no say in this decision to remove something from me, but by the great edicts of democracy - at least I'm getting the choice as to what I can have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here