Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex offer Adams extended deal

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/sussex/7009080.stm

Sussex captain Chris Adams is poised to sign a contract extension after leading the team to three Championship titles in five years.
Adams, who will commit himself to the club until 2009, believes their latest success is the best so far.

"They've all been different - the first was just momentous, the second was just gruelling and a relief to get there.

"This is perhaps the most satisfying because we've done it against the odds," Adams told BBC Sport.

Interview: Sussex captain Chris Adams

"We've had four players called up for England and we've had to deal with injuries to key players - and we only operate a small squad."

Sussex's triumph was confirmed on Saturday when they beat Worcestershire by an innings and 14 runs and rivals Lancashire lost to Surrey after a brave attempt to score 489 for victory.

Adams could have left last winter when he was offered the chance to become director of cricket at Yorkshire, a post he initially accepted but then rejected after a change of heart.

"It was two hellish weeks of my life - but I think both clubs have done well out of that little equation.

"Yorkshire offered me a very tempting position but I knew it would be horrendously difficult for me to play alongside other players in another team. I couldn't do it - that's the bottom line, " the 37-year-old said.

"I'm delighted Sussex were able to keep the door open and I've had a great year with the bat and enjoyed the contest more than any other. It's been awesome."

Adams has promised to sign the contract extension but admits he continues to think about the next phase of his cricket career.

"I'm just about complete the level four coaching certificate and it seems my future will be in a position of director of cricket at a club.

"When the right job comes along, I'll put my name firmly in the hat. If that position is at this club, then that's perfect," he said.

"If there was a wish-list, I'd have this job [captaincy] forever, but I know that age means these things come to an end."

Sussex have yet to decide on who should captain the team next summer, but Adams insisted he was happy to play under someone else.

Meanwhile, he reserved special praise for leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed, who was again a major contributor with 90 wickets - 13 of them taken in the final game despite bowling with a knee injury.

"There was nothing left, and I felt as a captain I'd overstepped the mark - asked too much of one player, but as always, he delivered.

He has been fabulous again, and I salute him. Shane Warne, (Muttiah) Muralitharan - great players. But this guy knocks spots off them. "Give me him any day of the week over all of them," Adams added.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
good news all round then

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Smashing news. A gallant man on the field and an integral part in our transformation into the team of the noughties.

Just imagine if we were able to 'afford' Stuart Law to bolster the ranks...!

Success breeds success.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He's older that Monty, I suppose if he keeps fit it will be ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here