Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Sussex' mentioned on The Simpsons?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The Canadian Prime Minister lives on Sussex Drive in Ottawa.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
In an American sitcom I used to watch called "The Nanny", the young boy was called Brighton Sheffield.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Re: the sex bit...
why not Essex then?

I think it's because there are several Sussex counties in the US, so there's a degree of familiarity.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Saw a new Simpsons for the 05 Season last night on the U.S. Fox Channel
Homer becomes an ordained minister via the Internet so that he can officiate at same sex marriages for $200 a po.
Just think of Homer in a "dog's collar"

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
Dr Breakfast said:
I think it's because Sussex is one of the few British names they haven't used in America already so when they want to talk authentically about our nation, it often comes up
Useless fact: There are 15 towns (or cities, as they prefer to call them, whatever the size) in the USA called Brighton.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
huddersfield

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Le Premier Cru said:
Useless fact: There are 15 towns (or cities, as they prefer to call them, whatever the size) in the USA called Brighton.

Went to one of the 'Brightons' on the East Coast when over there a few years back in the hope of getting a college style top with 'BRIGHTON' written on it only to blink and miss it. The Brighton in question was a road junction with a church and about three houses!

Downloaded Penguin said:
Re: the sex bit...
why not Essex then?

I heard this reference, too - but the girl they then had on the show appeared to have an Essex accent to me. After all, the implication was that the girls they were talking about were slappers...

I thought it was a cock-up, myself - confusing Sussex and Essex. I expect better of the Simpsons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here