Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Derby next season?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
the teams around crawley all have games in hand over crawley.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Personally I'm finding it hard to give a flying monkey's arse about Crawley. There'll be nothing particularly exciting about playing them. True technically it should be a derby-what with them being the closest league tam and also from sussex-but there's no history there. No rivalry, no animosity, nothing. At least for me.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I disagree on two counts: firstly it would NOT be good to see another FL club in Sussex. We get a lot of support from mid-Sussex and I don't want to lose any of that to another FL club.

Secondly if the day ever dawns that we have Crawley as our local rivals as opposed to Palace or Portsmouth I'll know that we are truly non-league.
Indeed. Playing Crawley in League Two next year is a nightmare scenario.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Would always prefer a team with a league sized fanbase to go up - Oxford, Wrexham, Cambridge...

Crawley's manager has always come across as a bit of a tosser to me.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I think Crawley will just come up against what Lewes have found this season, in that they can't just magic up another 2 000 fans out of nowhere, if they get promoted

People have their own affinity with teams and most don't jump ship just because there is a team down/up the road

:albion2:

Oct 25, 2003
I think Crawley will just come up against what Lewes have found this season, in that they can't just magic up another 2 000 fans out of nowhere, if they get promoted

People have their own affinity with teams and most don't jump ship just because there is a team down/up the road

:albion2:

exactly, it's not like they'd be getting promoted to the premiership

games against accrington, dagenham and darlington are hardly going to see the crowds flocking to the broadfield

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its happened before elsewhere - Look at Port Vale, came up from nowhere went above Stoke for a season or two and now look as they are heading out.

But...... for a few seasons they did take fans off Stoke and it did split the city. Prior to that some people used to go to one week Stoke, one week Port vale but the rivalry stopped a lot even splitting some families.

How would you feel if Crawley went above us and then had bigger crowds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here