Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex CCC v Lancashire CCC (Official Thread)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Gotta get Brad Hodge early tomorrow and then we might have a chance of skittling them out for around our score.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A decent little fightback. I wouldn't want Lancs to score anything more than 250. We must get Hodge out early. It will be a real feat if we can beat them, as they have a superb batting lineup. Well done Mushy :clap2:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
In need of some more Mushy magic this morning

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still can't see us winning this. We have to hope to keep their lead to under 50 but that still means we have to score at least 220 in the second innings to have a chance; none of our batsmen have caught fire this year so that looks unlikely.

Two of our batsmen scored a century on a shirtfront in our opening game and since then we've had the grand total of one ton in five and a half games - that's pretty poor by any standard.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Gwylan said:
I still can't see us winning this.

Don't be so pessimistic! I think this is very much in the balance, with this morning a crucial session.

If we have a great morning, and bowl Lancs out for less than our 218, we get a psychological edge (if not necessarily a winning position) - and go into the seocnd innings with everything to play for.

If Lancs score more than us but still under 250, then the game is still very much open, and could go either way.

It's only once they start getting past 250 that we need to start worryng that a win is out of reach.

Keep the faith!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gwylan said:
I still can't see us winning this. We have to hope to keep their lead to under 50 but that still means we have to score at least 220 in the second innings to have a chance; none of our batsmen have caught fire this year so that looks unlikely.

Two of our batsmen scored a century on a shirtfront in our opening game and since then we've had the grand total of one ton in five and a half games - that's pretty poor by any standard.
agreed... unfortunately Robbo's general inexperience, and specifically his naivety in the close season transfer market, appears to be coming home to roost now - it was imperative that we sign someone with a track record of scoring regular centuries and his failure to do so will probably cost us not only any chance of the title but possibly our place in the top flight...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
agreed... unfortunately Robbo's general inexperience, and specifically his naivety in the close season transfer market, appears to be coming home to roost now - it was imperative that we sign someone with a track record of scoring regular centuries and his failure to do so will probably cost us not only any chance of the title but possibly our place in the top flight...

But Robbo is very much interested in bringing the youth players at the club through and this has certainly worked with Hopkinson who is starting to look the part (and is one of the best fielders in the country) and Nash and Rayner are now being brought into the side. I imagine if they can't break throguh this season we'll see measures being made to fill the gap left by Ward. We have also been very unlucky with Kirtley's troubles.

Plus Monty hasn't found any real form again.

I dunno, one defeat and a semi-poor day and it's all doom and gloom. When Arafat arrives and Yardy's finger gets better we'll be in much better shape.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Moshe Gariani said:
..but possibly our place in the top flight...

I think that's a bit unlikely. We should finish in the top three or four this year. But I think we're a batsman short of winning the title.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gwylan said:
But I think we're a batsman short of winning the title.
we may be we may not be...

this season so far has been one of the most remarkable two months in the club's history - incredible stuff...

warm congratulations to Robbo (a superb coach and leader), his dedicated and talented backroom staff (nb Grubby), and of course to all the players - clearly the Pakistani legends have grabbed most of the headlines but every other player has made crucial contributions to the team success

this group of coaches and players earned my loyal and unwavering support a long time ago

we are up against a top side in Lancashire and our first innings total was a major disappointment - a long way to go in the game though... no reason why we can't stay close enough on first innings, bat well second time round, and then bowl them out for a low score in the last innings on a dry outground...

GOSBTS

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I hope someone hits Chapple in his stupid face.

chapplenogetty0crop-14137.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
excellent start to the day...

Come on Sussex!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Moshe, I'm confused.

You say that we are at risk of going down, but then don't agree that we are one batsmen short of winning the title.

I think we can win the title. Looks like Monty may have found a bit of form, we could with Yardy coming back to give the middle order some steel, but we can score runs all down the card.

I think you Seagulls fans have caught the doom and gloom disease

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Moshe, I'm confused.
sorry Hatter - just being mischievous with the genuine gloom and doom merchants...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here