Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex CCC treated like poo

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it my imagination, or did Sussex's brilliant championship win go almost un-noticed in the non-sporting environs of the county? As far as I am aware, only ex-Sussex players and Dick Knight have come forward with public messages of congratulations - and it was great to see the players at Withdean last week.

The point I am making is that when the Albion won their championships, council leaders and dignitaries etc were falling over themselves to congratulate us, and quite rightly so. However, Sussex have had no such recognition from anyone including city councillors, county councillors or anyone in a position of authority.

Maybe an open top bus around the city was a bit ambitious, but a civic reception or some form of acknowledgement from the mayor, or indeed any mayor or council leader within Sussex would have been appropriate. But no, a stony silence.

I think that the size of their achievement should be appreciated for what it was. Can anyone on NSC suggest anything, and then embarrass the local politicians into action, before the players all disperse for their winter jobs?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah I think (apart from the Albion) the local support was abit crap, this is from the SCCC wesbite:

"We have received so many messages of congratulations; from Mickey Adams at Leicester, David Gilbert at New South Wales Cricket, John Major, Surrey CCC, from fans both here and Sussex and from the four corners of the earth. Thank you for all your kind words of support and best wishes, the Club appreciates every one."

John Major?! he can piss right off but I was suprised and very pleased to see Mickeys name in there!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Maybe our local councillors don't see enough votes in supporting the county cricket team. I don't think the open top bus ride is going too far when you consider the following:
1. County Championship div 1 is English cricket's equivalent of the Premiership
2. This is the first time Sussex have ever won this particular prize in 160-odd years

Their achievement ranks above the Albion's division 2 title in my book, even though I am an Albion fan more than a SCCC fan. Perhaps it's because cricket is not considered as 'trendy' as football by our local bandwagon-jumping vote-grabbers?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There was a small article in the News of the Screws that went something like "Poor old Sussex...win the first championship in their history, look around and find out that no one really cares"

Whilst ther may not be an open top bus parade :nono: I 'm sure I headrd that the Council are going to arrange a civic reception of somesort.

trouble is that a lot of players will be off to other parts
Goodwin to perth
Mushy is in Lahore laready

etc

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
they were on all the back pages of the tabloids the day after they won the championship, but i agree, there should be a open top bus parade or something to acknowledge their acheivements

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Don't forget though, that Sussex CCC are not "Brighton and Hove CCC". I'm not saying that's not an excuse for Ken Bodfish not to have sent a message of congratulation or something, but the people of Arundel, Eastbourne, Winchelsea, Midhurst etc have just as much right to call them their own. Perhaps that's why a bus parade through Brighton/Hove might be seen as a snub to those who live in Horsham or wherever. Which is fair enough IMHO.

Our football club is in a rather odd position in that it draws support from one "county" rather than just a town, city or part thereof.

Sod it, actually, let's have a three-day open top bus tour through every town in Sussex!

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
I think they deserve as much praise as the albion got especially as they won what is the equivalent the Premiership in cricket!:clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Don't forget though, that Sussex CCC are not "Brighton and Hove CCC". I'm not saying that's not an excuse for Ken Bodfish not to have sent a message of congratulation or something, but the people of Arundel, Eastbourne, Winchelsea, Midhurst etc have just as much right to call them their own. Perhaps that's why a bus parade through Brighton/Hove might be seen as a snub to those who live in Horsham or wherever. Which is fair enough IMHO.

Our football club is in a rather odd position in that it draws support from one "county" rather than just a town, city or part thereof.

Sod it, actually, let's have a three-day open top bus tour through every town in Sussex!

This just underlines my original point, we have heard diddly-f***ing-squit out of any of those council leader wankers across the county, especially Arundel and horsham where the club did play this season, and if I am not mistaken, got a couple of fine victories there.

I am going to do something very strong-minded and controversial now. I am going to put something relevant in my signature. Soon. Ish

Seriously though, this is a major and embarrassing snub.:nono:

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

They still have their home in Hove and play the majority of their games there. You can still guarantee that if there were votes in it the local councillors would be sprinting out of the woodwork to call for some kind of parade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here