Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2024 edition

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think most of the test ground counties play at least some of their one day games at outgrounds for that reason.

I keep meaning to get over to Sedburgh for a Lancashire game but they're seemingly always on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
I think they played there this week.

If you use FB there is a county cricket fans page which is quite good. Someone posted some amazing pictures from there.

It's full of moaners about how cricket has changed for the worst. So you can see why I'm in there.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think they played there this week.

If you use FB there is a county cricket fans page which is quite good. Someone posted some amazing pictures from there.

It's full of moaners about how cricket has changed for the worst. So you can see why I'm in there.
Yeah, the other reason is that I reliably forget about it until the day after the match has happened.

On the plus side, I just noticed that Yorkshire are playing Sussex in York next Wednesday. Which nicely combines being probably my most convenient first class ground to get to with being a ground I've never been to.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The batsman's....

Screenshot 2024-07-25 195249.png

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Was it Brian Johnson who had the immortal line? - The bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey - I can’t remember.

i also wondered whether we could ever have had Lillee c Willey b Dilley

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Was it Brian Johnson who had the immortal line? - The bowler’s Holding the batsman’s Willey - I can’t remember.

Perth- December 1979

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'm not sure it was ever uttered. Johners himself said he had no memory of it.

Obviously, I didn't watch tonight's Humbug, but please, please, someone must have said it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
…..or there is this

Apparently Johners was furious with Aggers after that and wouldn't talk to him.

I heard it live on the day, it's taken decades to lose its edge.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone here play Cricket Captain on their phone/laptop? Excellent for long train journeys. Currently leading Sussex to D1 glory and Alsop is the best batsman in world cricket :lol:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I'm not sure it was ever uttered. Johners himself said he had no memory of it.

Obviously, I didn't watch tonight's Humbug, but please, please, someone must have said it.
I've always hoped that former Lancashire 'keeper/batsman Warren Hegg would have faced Surrey off spinner James Boiling at some point in his career

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I think the line was actually fictitious and never uttered by Johnners or anyone else for that matter, unfortunately

Personally I’m always disappointed we’ve never had an opportunity for Stokes c Foakes b Woakes

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks fellow cricket lovers - I am happy to confirm I shall not watch one ball of the rubbish that Sky and BBC are gushing about currently, nor am I reading any reports of it.
Test match td though and following us in the ODC(sounds a bit like our new winger)
I can also confirm that Holden/Willey thing was a screen grab from elsewhere and my television was off last night.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Does anyone here play Cricket Captain on their phone/laptop? Excellent for long train journeys. Currently leading Sussex to D1 glory and Alsop is the best batsman in world cricket :lol:
yes I do, still playing last years one though and I'm about 12 years in

The awesome foursome of Orr, Haines, Clark and Alsop have provided me with a lot of glory over the years

generally only sign youth players and somehow unearthed a lad who is now the number 1 ranked bowler in the world (of course, basically never plays for us). Also generally go for 2 all rounders for my overseas players

it fuels my hatred for the Hundred of course, as I'll lose half my squad overnight once a season

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
yes I do, still playing last years one though and I'm about 12 years in

The awesome foursome of Orr, Haines, Clark and Alsop have provided me with a lot of glory over the years

generally only sign youth players and somehow unearthed a lad who is now the number 1 ranked bowler in the world (of course, basically never plays for us). Also generally go for 2 all rounders for my overseas players

it fuels my hatred for the Hundred of course, as I'll lose half my squad overnight once a season
Is Alsop doing the business for you? I knew I was into a good’un when he averaged about 80 in D2 :lol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Is Alsop doing the business for you? I knew I was into a good’un when he averaged about 80 in D2 :lol:
yes he certainly is, although I'd say of the 4 Orr is probably the most consistent overall (does get called up by England a lot though). Haines is probably marginally the best in the 4 day stuff as an opener. Clark is very good in the one day stuff and seems to avoid getting the Hundred call up.

most disappointing one is Archer who I just can't seem to get much out of at all for some reason

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here