Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2024 edition

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get that. But you could say that about literally any event and/or game of our ground cricket anywhere
Not sure if you are agreeing but the infrastructure is already there at Hove. At Arundel, etc the seats, marquees, bollards! Etc all have to be hired and put in place.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure if you are agreeing but the infrastructure is already there at Hove. At Arundel, etc the seats, marquees, bollards! Etc all have to be hired and put in place.
Tough what a load of crap. I used to be one of the organisers at Horsham. Hove has , what four five beer outlets and this season greatly reduced food outlets. Horsham/Arundel/Hastings/Eastbourne had people bringing their own deck chairs with very few if any staging. So sorry you are very very wrong.

And mobile food outlets like Hove/Canterbury etc shall I carry on.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tough what a load of crap. I used to be one of the organisers at Horsham. Hove has , what four five beer outlets and this season greatly reduced food outlets. Horsham/Arundel/Hastings/Eastbourne had people bringing their own deck chairs with very few if any staging. So sorry you are very very wrong.

And mobile food outlets like Hove/Canterbury etc shall I carry on.
Crumbs, you do seem an angry and somewhat abusive “man” whenever someone takes a different view to yours. I bet the Horsham Committee loved having you on board.😉

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Crumbs, you do seem an angry and somewhat abusive “man” whenever someone takes a different view to yours. I bet the Horsham Committee loved having you on board.😉
Please grow up.

Back in the 80's many people put their own time in to bring cricket to the outlying grounds. As the committee of Sussex CCC become more and more Hovecentric the county suffered. If you have an issue with that then you don't understand the idea of county cricket.

I've hardly been abusive, forthright maybe.

Hove is a hell of a journey for most Sussex residents, the chance to play around the county should be celebrated. The players, and yes I knew most of them, loved going to the outgrounds. Peter Eaton hated going elsewhere, no other reason that he had to bother to work. Yes seen it all over the years, so not abusive, not angry but disappointed by the small-mindedness of those that know better.

It's too late now anyway as cricket has been ruined by real idiots supporting the huge loss making 100, no proper cricket, apart from club players playing 50 over games in the name of counties, being played in the summer. The introduction of the 100 has killed county cricket for so many.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One of the greatest pleasures in life is lying back in a deckchair on the boundary at Arundel....
The Duchess of Norfolk Lavinia games were special. i remember when “the rest of the world” xi played there in the 80s. all of the world‘s best players gathered in arundel . one page of my autograph book has Alan Border, Graeme Hick and Clive Lloyd.
Horsham superb too. Walking from the town centre, past the church, through the woods, into the ground.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Please grow up.

Back in the 80's many people put their own time in to bring cricket to the outlying grounds. As the committee of Sussex CCC become more and more Hovecentric the county suffered. If you have an issue with that then you don't understand the idea of county cricket.

I've hardly been abusive, forthright maybe.

Hove is a hell of a journey for most Sussex residents, the chance to play around the county should be celebrated. The players, and yes I knew most of them, loved going to the outgrounds. Peter Eaton hated going elsewhere, no other reason that he had to bother to work. Yes seen it all over the years, so not abusive, not angry but disappointed by the small-mindedness of those that know better.

It's too late now anyway as cricket has been ruined by real idiots supporting the huge loss making 100, no proper cricket, apart from club players playing 50 over games in the name of counties, being played in the summer. The introduction of the 100 has killed county cricket for so many.
Grow up? My post didn’t start with “Tough what a load of crap”

Can’t disagree with your final paragraph, but you must agree that we’ve moved on from the 80s.

Are you saying that the out grounds have similar standard facilities to Hove such as indoor and outdoor nets, physios and physiotheraphy rooms, static cameras for YouTube coverage, scoreboards with replays, security, rollers, trained stewards, warm up equipment, floodlights?

I’m not so sure that today’s cricketers would be so keen to play around the county. Many are mercenaries who will play for the most money and the least inconvenience. The likes of Peter Graves and Jim Parks are from a bygone era.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
For completeness, Sussex lost by 8 wickets with 126 balls remaining (D/L)

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
The Duchess of Norfolk Lavinia games were special. i remember when “the rest of the world” xi played there in the 80s. all of the world‘s best players gathered in arundel . one page of my autograph book has Alan Border, Graeme Hick and Clive Lloyd.
Horsham superb too. Walking from the town centre, past the church, through the woods, into the ground.
…and the football style chant of “Duchess Lavinia ole ole ole”

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Grow up? My post didn’t start with “Tough what a load of crap”

Can’t disagree with your final paragraph, but you must agree that we’ve moved on from the 80s.

Are you saying that the out grounds have similar standard facilities to Hove such as indoor and outdoor nets, physios and physiotheraphy rooms, static cameras for YouTube coverage, scoreboards with replays, security, rollers, trained stewards, warm up equipment, floodlights?

I’m not so sure that today’s cricketers would be so keen to play around the county. Many are mercenaries who will play for the most money and the least inconvenience. The likes of Peter Graves and Jim Parks are from a bygone era.
Facilities? Horsham's wicket was voted the best in county cricket, fact. It has first class nets, it has professional physio's facilities used each and every day. Cameras attached to the top of the sight screens (takes a step ladder FFS) scoreboards, mobile ones are available it is no more than a billboard!! Security, you mean old men wearing corduroy! And yes they turned up. Rollers, ROLLERS what are you on about, it's not the moon. They even have full covers these days you know. The village up the road even have them. Flood lights, you mean those that even if on, they go off for bad light.

It may surprise you that playing on a perfectly level cricket ground such as Horsham or Arundel may even be a better surface than Hove's narrow, slope of a pitch. Back in the day Dickie Bird and Shep used to request if they could umpire at Horsham as they thought it was the perfect place to play cricket. I used to know them well.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Used to do the scoring for Duchess of Norfolk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
@timbha Spent two seasons as the scorer for the team. I was introduced by Len Chandler the Sussex scorer.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My lad LOVES playing at Horsham & Arundel (his favourite ground) but I can understand why the County game stays where it does at Hove, for all the reasons @timbha states (especially in Arundels case). It would be nice to have a few games elsewhere though - both grounds are lovely to spectate at...and I dont even like cricket!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My lad LOVES playing at Horsham & Arundel (his favourite ground) but I can understand why the County game stays where it does at Hove, for all the reasons @timbha states (especially in Arundels case). It would be nice to have a few games elsewhere though - both grounds are lovely to spectate at...and I dont even like cricket!
I debunked most of the reasons.

The biggest headache, believe it or not, about playing at the outgrounds was moving the advertising boards from Hove. Each year I would help erect the boards at Horsham and then take them down. This took three days either side of the games.

So far as making money, Sussex made good profits, better than if they remained at Hove for those games. They did though become even more greedy meaning Horsham got a smaller slice of the cake.

I will add at both Arundel and Horsham Sussex benefited by having massive car parks which generated even more money. Hove offers no such facility.

However as I posted before it's all futile now as there's little chance of a cricket festival at an outground due to the fixtures being so skewed for the sodding 100.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I debunked most of the reasons.

The biggest headache, believe it or not, about playing at the outgrounds was moving the advertising boards from Hove. Each year I would help erect the boards at Horsham and then take them down. This took three days either side of the games.

So far as making money, Sussex made good profits, better than if they remained at Hove for those games. They did though become even more greedy meaning Horsham got a smaller slice of the cake.

I will add at both Arundel and Horsham Sussex benefited by having massive car parks which generated even more money. Hove offers no such facility.

However as I posted before it's all futile now as there's little chance of a cricket festival at an outground due to the fixtures being so skewed for the sodding 100.
OK, OK...you're right and everyone else is wrong...jeez. 😏

I dont ever remember Horsham or Arundel having massive car parks tbh, but maybe thats because I was only there on days for smaller games which no-one went to, so they didn't use any other available parking? Horsham has always had a small car park iirc, and Arundel just seems to be mostly the grass bank at one end...which isn't massive. You probably know of other parking spots though.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003

I dont ever remember Horsham or Arundel having massive car parks tbh, but maybe thats because I was only there on days for smaller games which no-one went to, so they didn't use any other available parking? Horsham has always had a small car park iirc, and Arundel just seems to be mostly the grass bank at one end...which isn't massive. You probably know of other parking spots though.
Horsham had the small car park behind the pavilion but they used to allow people to park on the grass at the southern end and that was a reasonable size space.

At Arundel, behind the 'mound' end, there was a big field used for car parking - several hundred cars at £10 a go is a nice little earner and required minimal stewarding to organise.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I tried, and tried again but gave up 🤣

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
A bit of a tangent but the wicket and ground at East Grinstead could easily accommodate a county game, lovely ground, pavilion and physio room. Parking might be a slight issue but it’s better than Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here