Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I understand fans frustrations...but I see all the hard work, time, and sacrifices from everyone first hand - so cant sit here and rip the club...even if they are doing poorly with results the last couple of seasons.

At this point in time Im too close to the action, so to speak, & its beginning to annoy me the constant negativity towards the club & players, so will stay out of discussions about the state of SCCC from now on.
Assume you work for the club so understand you not commenting. Trouble is the paying customers have been told for many years to support the policy of getting rid of established players and playing youngsters. who will come good. How long do we wait ? This is not negativity but facts. This has now been going on for years. Would hope everyone works hard but we pay to see cricketers that are a lot higher than good club standard.
I looked on stream and saw all the wickets yesterday. If we played well in last 3 games outside chance we could get promoted and every bonus point could be crucial. Here we see so many throw there wickets away is just not acceptable.
For a start next season stop bringing in overseas players just for a few games who are just here for the money.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Assume you work for the club so understand you not commenting. Trouble is the paying customers have been told for many years to support the policy of getting rid of established players and playing youngsters. who will come good. How long do we wait ? This is not negativity but facts. This has now been going on for years. Would hope everyone works hard but we pay to see cricketers that are a lot higher than good club standard.
I looked on stream and saw all the wickets yesterday. If we played well in last 3 games outside chance we could get promoted and every bonus point could be crucial. Here we see so many throw there wickets away is just not acceptable.
For a start next season stop bringing in overseas players just for a few games who are just here for the money.
You make some decent points in particular that working hard behind the scenes should be a given, and not mitigation for our crapness.
But you go too far with your last point.
High level international players have better things to do than knock about in the county championship for a whole summer. It’s the same for pretty much every county, particularly non test ground counties. We have done OK with foreign imports this summer. A top level player isn’t coming to Sussex for the summer.
God knows what the answer is for Sussex. It is complicated. Some local decisions have been poor but the club is suffering from wider issues within English cricket too. Anyone who thinks if Rob Andrew leaves everything will be fine is dreaming. That said, the club may benefit from a fresh approach and he should go, along with a few others.
On the pitch, the club has tied itself in knots by giving too many poor players long contracts . We are lucky Finn didn’t sit on his contract for another year. And how did Henry Crocombe get a new deal ? He is so clearly out of his depth. He will take a few wickets but only due to batsemen’s overconfidence.
Our 266 was a good 200 short.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate your points about overseas players. However does nothing for team morale to have players coming in for the money for a few games. The days of getting top players in for the season are gone unfortunately. Therefore look for good overseas players who are just below international teams in test cricket and not on radar of 20/20 leagues. These players would not only be coming for the money (especially SAs who would like to earn £s) but want to experience and improve there game. At the same time becoming part of team for the season. However good or bad some of our young players are can be nothing more demoralising than to work all week and to be replaced for a couple of games by someone who doesnt give a toss for Sussex because they will be gone in a couple of weeks.
I really dont know what route the club is taking now. Especially after signing a 39 year old bowler for next season.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
No, I dont. And if you read what I wrote, I said I see all the hard work etc, so dont feel that I can sit here and rip the club.
You guys go ahead and say all you want to though, as thats your right as paying customers....I get it. Fill your boots.
I wasn't defending whats gone on at the club at all. I find it as frustrating as everyone else, even as someone who hates cricket (so dont even bother talking about the finer points of the game to me...I just glaze over tbh 😴:ROFLMAO: ) - but we all know that sometimes things just dont work out overnight, or even a few seasons in sport. Look at the Albion as a prime example.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No, I dont. And if you read what I wrote, I said I see all the hard work etc, so dont feel that I can sit here and rip the club.
You guys go ahead and say all you want to though, as thats your right as paying customers....I get it. Fill your boots.
I wasn't defending whats gone on at the club at all. I find it as frustrating as everyone else, even as someone who hates cricket (so dont even bother talking about the finer points of the game to me...I just glaze over tbh 😴:ROFLMAO: ) - but we all know that sometimes things just dont work out overnight, or even a few seasons in sport. Look at the Albion as a prime example.
Dont think the Albion is a good comparison. Life is so often about leadership and whatever division they were in or season they had had from the day they got the leadership right ie Dick Knight all supporters knew the right decisions were made. Including changes of managers when team did not perform. Sorry but do feel we could go another 2//3 years with winning very few 4 day and 50 over games and same people would be at the top.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Meanwhile, Durham now have the lead with 5 wickets remaining. Carson has three wickets and Unadkat has his first while also being fairly economical.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We will do well to avoid defeat in this one.
No chance . This was done once our key batsmen threw away the good start . It’s a 450 minimum pitch .
Anyway , no point craving promotion . We’d get destroyed every game .
And we’ve already set the tone for next season with the early signings . Dross.
Plus I believe we have a few strong players out of contract .
Sorry - sounds doom and gloom . We hope for better

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Meanwhile, Durham now have the lead with 5 wickets remaining. Carson has three wickets and Unadkat has his first while also being fairly economical.
When I posted this it was with a little optimism that maybe we could keep in the game. No further wickets taken and 158 behind already means that optimism is now gone.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
4 wickets for 8 runs in about 20 balls has sharpened Crocombe's figures up a bit (17.5 - 1 - 93 - 4 overall)

Durham 505/9 - a lead of 239)

An outside chance of a draw?

jrbha

Nov 18, 2021
4 wickets for 8 runs in about 20 balls has sharpened Crocombe's figures up a bit (17.5 - 1 - 93 - 4 overall)

Durham 505/9 - a lead of 239)

An outside chance of a draw?
No chance. We don't do digging in or showing resilience.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Appreciate your points about overseas players. However does nothing for team morale to have players coming in for the money for a few games. The days of getting top players in for the season are gone unfortunately. Therefore look for good overseas players who are just below international teams in test cricket and not on radar of 20/20 leagues. These players would not only be coming for the money (especially SAs who would like to earn £s) but want to experience and improve there game. At the same time becoming part of team for the season. However good or bad some of our young players are can be nothing more demoralising than to work all week and to be replaced for a couple of games by someone who doesnt give a toss for Sussex because they will be gone in a couple of weeks.
I really dont know what route the club is taking now. Especially after signing a 39 year old bowler for next season.

Just like Durham did with de Leede. Plenty of talent elsewhere.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
8/1 at lunch in our second innings - not a great start for batting out just over 5 sessions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here