Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
There's an obvious question that I feel I have to ask, if this umpire was relying on feedback from players for edges, how did he know he was getting any of the LBW decisions right in terms of them hitting the stumps.
I'm glad I don't have to talk to you in real life...:lolol:

The obvious point - well understood by anyone who has ever played cricket - is that tracking the path of the ball with enough confidence (inches matter) to make decent LBW calls when no bat is involved is infinitely easier to do than correctly ajudicating whether a batsman has got a feather edge on a ball (visual deviation measured in millimetres). Decent wicketkeepers and batsmen have a much better knowledge of what has happened at their end in these circumstances than the bloke 22 yards away. To suggest otherwise makes someone sound like one of those obnoxious old umpires who merrily make crap decisions and never admit they're wrong about anything.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

The obvious point - well understood by anyone who has ever played cricket - is that tracking the path of the ball with enough confidence (inches matter) to make decent LBW calls when no bat is involved is infinitely easier to do than correctly ajudicating whether a batsman has got a feather edge on a ball (visual deviation measured in millimetres). Decent wicketkeepers and batsmen have a much better knowledge of what has happened at their end in these circumstances than the bloke 22 yards away. To suggest otherwise makes someone sound like one of those obnoxious old umpires who merrily make crap decisions and never admit they're wrong about anything.

I mean, you're not obliged to engage with this if you don't want to. I like talking about cricket. And I'm on train journeys a lot. :)

I've always been of the view that the batsman is the worst person to ask about an LBW, if they had a good idea of where the ball was and where it was going they would have hit it in the first place.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's slightly misleading as Beer's retired - all the others, including the ones I added are still playing.

It's not really balanced as there are two spinners (three if you count Beer) and only two seamers

It's still a lot of departures though and I'm sure there'll be more this winter

Hmm. Rawlins possibly. Who else are you thinking?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seeing Topley failing to run a single for England yesterday, it got me thinking about how many players have left Sussex in recent years... and whether we have enough to form a team:

Any I've forgottten?

Phil Salt
Luke Wells

Laurie Evans

Ben Brown (w)

Will Beer
Chris Jordan
Reese Topley

Michael Burgess
Harry Finch
Danny Briggs
Tom Smith

Who have we go that are worth stealing? Haines? Alsopp? Orr? Hudson-Prentice?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Sussex have been blooding Charlie Tear and are, reputedly, looking to add another Ollie Robinson to the team. It does suggest that Carter may be offski - I can't think why he's not playing.

And Ali Orr has made a few decent runs ... he'd be eyed up by some counties.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sussex have been blooding Charlie Tear and are, reputedly, looking to add another Ollie Robinson to the team. It does suggest that Carter may be offski - I can't think why he's not playing.

He's signed for Durham, I think?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I can happily put you right on the first part - Sid is a gent, and you'd find him good company in real life.

As for the rest of this debate - I'm largely on your side of it. I've always watched, played and umpired the game with the long held principle that 'the benefit of any doubt goes to the batsman'.

With that in mind any discussion off fractional angles / possibilities, is rendered rather moot. Basically - and for me this should be true of all levels of cricket without DRS - is that the umpire gives a batsman out ONLY when he is SURE they are out. That means not raising your finger when you think it would POSSIBLY clip leg stump, or even when you think it would PROBABLY clip a stump.

I despair at some of the LBWs given in Tests to be honest, where the tracking shows it is umpire's call on impact, and feathering the actual stumps. If 5mm of ball is brushing 2mm of bail, there is literally no possibility that the umpire could have KNOWN it was hitting - he's guessing based on probabilities, and I don't ever think that should be the case.

And I type all this as a opening bowler.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

They’ve messed Carter around. He will prosper elsewhere as a middle order bat. I’d guess a move to a Test ground county via a couple of years at a div 2 backwater. We’ve missed out on Robinson.

Hopefully Orr stays longer. I’d say he’s undercooked for Surrey but given how decimated they were after various call-ups, he’d probably be suitable for them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Archie moved on. There will be interest, although he’d have to do time in the stiffs of a Div 1 team.

Atkins is as good as gone if he’s out of contract.

Garton IS under contract but he may want a change after a crappy couple of years. We might get shafted there. Not impossible that Haines will want out, if he loses captaincy . Maybe a swap deal with another county ?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I can happily put you right on the first part - Sid is a gent, and you'd find him good company in real life.

As for the rest of this debate - I'm largely on your side of it. I've always watched, played and umpired the game with the long held principle that 'the benefit of any doubt goes to the batsman'.

With that in mind any discussion off fractional angles / possibilities, is rendered rather moot. Basically - and for me this should be true of all levels of cricket without DRS - is that the umpire gives a batsman out ONLY when he is SURE they are out. That means not raising your finger when you think it would POSSIBLY clip leg stump, or even when you think it would PROBABLY clip a stump.

I despair at some of the LBWs given in Tests to be honest, where the tracking shows it is umpire's call on impact, and feathering the actual stumps. If 5mm of ball is brushing 2mm of bail, there is literally no possibility that the umpire could have KNOWN it was hitting - he's guessing based on probabilities, and I don't ever think that should be the case.

And I type all this as a opening bowler.

Oh thanks, did you play much this season in the end?

I think at most levels what people want is the decisions to be plausible and consistent. An umpire can tend more one way or another as long as they're the same way through the game. Having said that, I don't think any batsman is ever happy to be given out.

I write that as a former opening bowler, who needed all the help he could get.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hadn't seen Robinson Mk 2 had gone to Durham. I'm pretty sure we were interested in him, which does make me doubt whether Carter will be around next year.

I'd forgotten about Garton, he played so rarely this season. Echoes of Salt and Jordan last year

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Perhaps Garton will give up on Longform.
he’s miles away from the test team.
He was highly-rated in England circles back in the day but he’s dropped pace since then.
Will he fancy the grind of the county four-day circuit? Doubt it.
There’s more money to be made in white ball and Less strain on the body.
Whatever the case, I don’t see him ever being a major player for Sussex. For whatever reasons, it’s never quite happened.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh thanks, did you play much this season in the end?

After we wound up things at Parham, I decided to give league cricket a go, for the first time in 25 years. Invited to join the club local to me, that Andy plays at. Didn't really know what to expect, and told them I'd be very happy to play in the 2s with the nippers and the other old chaps. But ended up opening all season for the 1s.

Picked this up at the presentation this last weekend.

BOTY.jpg

Played 15 games this summer. the most I've played any summer across the last 20 years, is about 8 or 9. Often less.

Absolute pleasure to be honest, to be able to just enjoy playing every week, rather than scratching around for players, begging someone to make teas, worrying about the finances, pitch prep, etc, etc...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Perhaps Garton will give up on Longform.
he’s miles away from the test team.
He was highly-rated in England circles back in the day but he’s dropped pace since then.
Will he fancy the grind of the county four-day circuit? Doubt it.
There’s more money to be made in white ball and Less strain on the body.
Whatever the case, I don’t see him ever being a major player for Sussex. For whatever reasons, it’s never quite happened.

No, it's sad to see. He was so promising a few years back, a left-armer with real pace. Remember that he was called on an Ashes tour as a travelling reserve.

Sussex fancied making him an all-rounder but his bowling's been affected by that and his batting's not quite good enough. Such a shame

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In case anyone had forgotten - such is the lack of interest in the dying of the county season - this game is still going on. Glamorgan 328/6. A couple of wickets for Carson this morning.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Salisbury gone.

"Not part of the business"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63051154

'It is understood the 52-year-old has been placed on gardening leave over the handling of off-spinner Jack Carson. Carson, 21, is highly rated and seen as an England prospect. Born in Northern Ireland, he qualified to play for England two years ago.

He has been on the sidelines for most of the season after undergoing knee surgery, but has also been the subject of a non-cricketing disagreement with Salisbury.'

Hmmm, this is a bit vague

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
'It is understood the 52-year-old has been placed on gardening leave over the handling of off-spinner Jack Carson. Carson, 21, is highly rated and seen as an England prospect. Born in Northern Ireland, he qualified to play for England two years ago.

He has been on the sidelines for most of the season after undergoing knee surgery, but has also been the subject of a non-cricketing disagreement with Salisbury.'

Isn’t it the head coaches job to play the team he wants?

I’m not sure you sack him for refusing to play one player who is coming back from injury.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

What could it be? What could be so controversial that the coach is binned?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here