Sussex CC Plans given the OK

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great news, I thought they were going to say no. :drink:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think after the Falmer campaign local politicians have realised it is ill advised to go up against local sports fans!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Bladdy MARVELLOUS.

Let's hope no Nimby tossers take it to court in a SWEAT style.

I might just get one of those Johnny-come-hardly, out-of-towner, still-have-to-pay-in-but-you-can-sit-next-to-Brenda-if-you-want fifty quid MEMBERSHIPS this year. Excellent.

Cricket's BRILLIANT. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cricket objectors dismissed by council
By Rachel Pegg

Sussex County Cricket Club has been told it can move forward with plans for a major overhaul of its historic ground.

Brighton and Hove City Councillors today defied their officers to give preliminary approval to a complete renovation of the southern side of the club's Eaton Road site in Hove. The decision, which has been welcomed by thousands of fans, should secure the club's future in the city. The club had said if the application was refused it might have to look for a new home elsewhere.

Speaking to The Argus immediately after the decision, Gus Mackay, the club's chief executive, said: "We are absolutely delighted with the outcome. We would like to thank the planning committee for their support in what will be a major improvement for the city. "We will work closely with council officials to resolve issues surrounding the conditions."

He later thanked the 227 fans who wrote letters of support to the council, from as far afield as Australia and Pakistan. Mr Mackay said: "We have been an integral part of this community for 167 years and we really did not relish the idea of having to move due to development restrictions. The council's decision has ensured that the most successful cricket club of recent times can now remain in its true home and I am sure that this will be greeted with delight by all our members and supporters."

The development will bring two new stands, a landscaped entrance, a club shop, offices and nine flats at the top of a six-storey block on the south west side of the ground. Apartments will have balconies overlooking the cricket and the penthouse flat will be decked out with have a roof garden.

Council officers were unhappy about these commercial interests, but the club said they were necessary to keep it afloat. In the last five years, despite enjoying its greatest ever sporting success, the club has made operating losses of nearly £1.9 million.

Eleven out of 12 councillors on the planning sub-committee voted that they were minded to approve the application, provided the club met conditions including contributing to a public transport scheme, funding public art and tackling privacy issues where homes in Wilbury Road are overlooked. Only Coun Roy Pennington abstained, saying the club had not provided enough detail for a decision to be made. He said: "This scaremongering about the cricket ground is outrageous. There is no chance of the cricket ground being lost to housing."

In a poll on The Argus website this week, 83 per cent of people thought the club should be given planning permission. Thirteen per cent voted against and four per cent were undecided.

Speaking after the vote, council leader Simon Burgess said: "I'm really pleased this has been passed - I didn't want us to lose the club from the city and I'm glad their future is now more secure. Sport is really important to the city - I'm desperate to also see Falmer get the go-ahead urgently."

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Now comes the many years of court battles and wankers with nothing better in their life other than to cause hassle, playing the delaying game.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Fantastic news, bloody hope it does'nt turn into a Falmer fiasco though...bloody NIMBY bastards :angry:

screw the new stand anyway....its all happening at the DECKING this year :thumbsup:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Hang on.Weren't the local LibDems going to build a duckpond?Isn't this area of Hove an AONB? Won't there be litter? Has the park and ride been sorted? When is the appeal? When does the Planning Inquisition begin?

No,Bangla Desh will win the world cup first.

Oh,and why develop a ground when the average attendance on all match days is only 342 (rounded up)?

AND most fans aren't under cover.

Never been the same since Lord Ted and Jim P.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Trigger said:
D'ya know, I think I might just pop down there later for a spot of sun. :bowdown:

may join you later mate, you still got the same mob number?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
It was never really much in doubt tho was it ?

I'm DEFINATELY having one of those flats when they go on sale:clap: :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here