Sussex By The Sea (Again)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Why don't we have the words put on the TV screens. It would be awesome to have twenty five thousand people singing GOSBTS and would really get intimidate the opposing team and supporters. That was how I felt at Stoke when all they're ground sang Deliah.
Maybe we could get the Argus behind and get the message out for all to sing.

This, This, This.

It's the only way it will ever work and if it did work how amazing would it be. You may not need it on the screen next season once everybody has got it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The problem with SBTS is when people clap along, the clapping goes into hyper speed and it falls apart. We need to sing it with no clapping AT ALL. It works at the cricket.

Feb 14, 2010
I think people can sing it how they want and most people seem to want to sing it fast, just like the goldstone days so that's the end of it. If however you want to sing it slow, then sing it slow.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
and LEARN THE WORDS! It's not exactly difficult.

Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay!
Hark to the merry bugle,
sounding along our way!

So, let your voices ring my boys,
and take the time from me,
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea!

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the sea!

Perhaps they could play it a little LOUDER until people get it!

Always seems a little daft singing about winning a cup at a league game.

Change that line to 'tell them all that we stand or fall' might be better.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
and LEARN THE WORDS! It's not exactly difficult.

Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay!
Hark to the merry bugle,
sounding along our way!

So, let your voices ring my boys,
and take the time from me,
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea!

Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the sea!

Perhaps they could play it a little LOUDER until people get it!

As an Albion fan of over 40 years I've never heard anyone sing the first two verses you state lets face it no one is going to start singing about merry bugles etc , ( la la la la la la maybe) - a football song needs to be simple and thats why the final verse is sung.

It is a brilliant and unique song for us - probably the only one that other fans comment upon and say sounds good - so lets keep it going and get it right. I am sure the North Stand can work out how we want to sing it and the rest will follow - However keep it simple and slow

"all together now"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
a football song needs to be simple and thats why [only] the final verse is sung.

It is a brilliant and unique song for us - probably the only one that other fans comment upon and say sounds good - so lets keep it going and get it right. I am sure the North Stand can work out how we want to sing it and the rest will follow - However keep it simple and slow

"all together now"
Completely wrong but unfortunately the prevailing view.

Did you hear the Birmingham fans sing their anthem on Saturday? Or the Liverpool away fans sing their song about Tommy the soldier on MOTD...? Nothing simple about those and all the better for it.

If you asked the Birmingham fans about the Brighton walk-out anthem on Saturday then most of them would say "I didn't realise there was one - just a lot of clapping..." ... the football nerds among them might say at a push "I guess it was 'Good Old Sussex By The Sea' but to be honest you couldn't hear any of it" ...

not exactly YNWA is it?

as for "the North Stand" they are precisely the group that have ruined SBTS with their duh-duh hyperspeed clapping approach... if they were to follow the people singing the words at the right speed then we might get somewhere...

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Don't tar all the North Stand with the same brush. I absolutely, utterly and completely f***ing hate the way we disrespect the ONLY song we have that is completely unique to us.

The club play the music and we can't even sing and clap in time to it. It's pathetic to be honest.

I would love us to sing the first verse, in time with the music and then launch into a massive 'and we're going up etc.etc.'

I do fear that the speed merchants will prevail and this great, great song will be lost from our repertoire.

Please let that not be the case.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The club play the music and we can't even sing and clap in time to it. It's f***ing pathetic to be honest.

Nail. Head.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately we are in a very small minority of Albion fans who are bothered about it...! I cling onto some hope that things might change but the only way that will happen is if the club take the lead.

Could be so easy. Ridiculously the main objection is they want to have live pictures of the players on the screens at the time the music is played - I can't imagine anyone is actually looking at those images anyway but even so it would be a tiny price to pay for putting SBTS properly on the map.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011

Change that line to 'tell them all that we stand or fall' might be better.

Totally agree with this but it has got to be put on the screen and/or handouts to every supporter outside the ground before the matches. I think it would work and it may take five or six matches but eventually it will sink in and become second nature. It would be great if we could get this going properly. Don't think it would cost too much to print these out and put on the screen.

for fuckin hells bollocks, is this a wind up? who's old man told them to "be a Palace fan"? and "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" The population of Brazil might disagree and as for 'forgetting the Birmingham fans were here' There was a thousand of them standing opposite the North Stand, can't believe it for a minute

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
We should also change "Stand up if you hate Palace" to "Stand up if you KNOW why you hate Palace", hasn't that run it's course yet?

Were the West Stand, were the East Stand.......isn't that already a Palace chant so why do we sing it?

Sea, sea seasiders, er Blackpool chant by all accounts.

So, why nick a Pompey one now, can't we make some of our own up............?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
yeah, why not make it the Palace match so we can look a right bunch o grapes, lets have a little white dot bouncing on top of the words while we're at so we don't get lost
Is a bunch o grapes good or bad?

I think it would be brilliant to have c.25,000 Brighton fans singing SBTS properly at the Palace match but it will probably take a few weeks to get right so would be best to start before then.

A white dot bouncing on the words for the first few weeks is a really good idea as people seem completely incapable of staying anywhere near in time with each other or the music at the moment - you could probably get a similar effect by just having the words appear and fade out in time with the music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here