Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea (Again)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perfect opportunity yesterday to really belt it out whilst the players were on the pitch having their extended warm up before the second half. But it never played. Instead, we had Palace supporting Faithless' Insomnia booming out. Sounded good, don't get me wrong, but what happened to Sussex By The Sea? I love hearing it.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Agree. Nothing beats GOSBS to make the hairs on your neck stand up!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It would work extremely well if people didn't sing or far to fast even with the music but it's close to being permanently ruined!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It would work extremely well if people didn't sing or far to fast even with the music but it's close to being permanently ruined!

I find it incredible that people cannot sing or even clap in time with the music.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

and LEARN THE WORDS! It's not exactly difficult.

Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay!
Hark to the merry bugle,
sounding along our way!

So, let your voices ring my boys,
and take the time from me,
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea!

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the sea!

Perhaps they could play it a little LOUDER until people get it!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I sing it, and the chap behind me has started singing it too. The revolution has begun! :thumbsup:

Could we not have the longer version before the second half? I know we've had this discussion just once or twice, but the point remains.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Completely agree. It's getting almost embarrassing now when the teams come out and GOSBTS is belting out over the PA and the fans finish singing it about 2 mintes before the music ends.

It's still a spine tingling song, but it could be so much better if we, the fans, can actually stay in time with the music. In fact I think it would be even more spine tingling if sung slowly - a bit like that "Oh when the Spurs" thing their fans do.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Play up Pompey is a great tune for the average fan to sing

-we should steal it- GOOD OLD SUSSEX>>...........BY THE SEA (to the tune of play up Pompey) well? yes maybe not

Ok perhaps a joke there,but GOSBTS does not lend it's self to being sung properly at all..

PUP does and it sounds quality.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You'll be figthing a losing battle with that statement. And rightly so. Wrong, on so many levels.

Take away the Portsmouth element for a moment and cut the tune down to it's core,it is a very easy,very easy to sing and to sing very VERY LOUD tune..that's all i am saying...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
and LEARN THE WORDS! It's not exactly difficult.

Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay!
Hark to the merry bugle,
sounding along our way!

So, let your voices ring my boys,
and take the time from me,
and I'll sing you a song as we march along
of Sussex by the Sea!

Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the sea!

Perhaps they could play it a little LOUDER until people get it!

people know the words but dont want to sing all that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
people know the words but dont want to sing all that.

if the did not do it 100 years ago when it was all the rage,they won't now-its all "as soon as possible" or A_S_A_P or Asap soon to become ap :lolol:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Play up Pompey is a great tune for the average fan to sing

-we should steal it- GOOD OLD SUSSEX>>...........BY THE SEA (to the tune of play up Pompey) well? yes maybe not

Ok perhaps a joke there,but GOSBTS does not lend it's self to being sung properly at all..

PUP does and it sounds quality.

No no no no no no no no no no no

One of the most annoying chants ever - that and ill never sing a chant knowing it has come from that club.

Oh and it probably wasnt played when they came out at the 2nd half as they obviously didnt know when the players were coming back out after the power problems.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Why don't we have the words put on the TV screens. It would be awesome to have twenty five thousand people singing GOSBTS and would really get intimidate the opposing team and supporters. That was how I felt at Stoke when all they're ground sang Deliah.
Maybe we could get the Argus behind and get the message out for all to sing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I can think of lots of songs that we've sung to the tune of the Pompey chimes over the years, not just f*** off Pompey or Pay up Pompey either.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I can think of lots of songs that we've sung to the tune of the Pompey chimes over the years, not just f*** off Pompey or Pay up Pompey either.

Afternoon Ace - agree although it was fun to sing it,i always felt their players might not hear the words only the general vibe and think - our support is loud today-

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Whilst we are at it i will say i also like Palaces "we love you" sorry but another easy to sing tune,that sounds good but because we don't like them we will have too hate it,shame i like it..

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Afternoon Ace - agree although it was fun to sing it,i always felt their players might not hear the words only the general vibe and think - our support is loud today-

Afternoon Gold, yep good point :thumbsup:

Whilst we are at it i will say i also like Palaces "we love you" sorry but another easy to sing tune,that sounds good but because we don't like them we will have too hate it,shame i like it..

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here