Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Survivors

thought it was alright, worth catching the second episode.

but they overdid the isolation bit. virus "only" knocked out 90% of the population, so you wouldn't have empty hospitals and prisons - if my maths is correct, there would be more than one or two people left alive in the building!

It would be patchy geographically, almost 100% fatalities in most areas with the majority surviving in the rest. I didn't think it was as good as the BBC production of Day of the Triffids; I was disappointed they didn't make very much of the consequences of such a holocaust - plenty of scope for different scenarios there. Hopefully Tuesday's will be better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/triffids/realmedia/daytriffids.ram

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
But as my lad pointed out if only 90% was wiped out potentially that would leave 1,200 in Worthing alone, surely there would be a lot more people knocking about?

Did the girl from Dr Who die or is she going to end up on this motorway they all seem to meet on?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
But as my lad pointed out if only 90% was wiped out potentially that would leave 1,200 in Worthing alone, surely there would be a lot more people knocking about?

Did the girl from Dr Who die or is she going to end up on this motorway they all seem to meet on?

Think she died. Her friend who was a dr would of noticed

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

The BBC paid to close that road and they we damn well going to use it! Even if it meant playing football on it!!!

Assuming Worthing has 120,000 people and not 12,000, if 90% of people died, there would still be 12,000 knocking about. Mind you, a lot of crumblies in Worthing - maybe they suffer more!

[Just checked SE Statistics online and Worthing has 97,000 population. So still around 10k people left. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/45uh.asp - have a look at teh chart with the UK average age as a blue line - pretty top heavy on oldies in Worthing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wasn't the 90% morbidity figure just an early projection released by government boffins? Could easily have turned out to be worse than first expected with the resultant Withdeanesque atmosphere...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
90% wipeout was only a guesstimate, and thats on the WORLDS population.
The UK could have been harder hit perhaps ? After all, we're basically an island full of inbreds.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm not sure whether I'm reassured or deeply scared by the knowledge that there'd be thousands of survivors from Worthing...

But as someone who was a huge fan of the original series until it ran out of steam (coincidentally at about the same time that I realised I was far too young to be staying in watching telly when there Brighton outside ready to go wild in) I was never going to miss this remake. And remake it is given the almost identical cast of characters who have, so far, behaved very similarly to their predecessors. So trust me, there's going to be something horridly obstetric about 3 episodes down the line...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have NO IDEA what obstetric means. Still, it keeps the SUSPENSE going.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
....... And remake it is given the almost identical cast of characters who have, so far, behaved very similarly to their predecessors.

don't want to be some kind of anorak but wasn't Tom Price (Max Beesley) some skanky smelly dumb arse Welsh bloke (are there any other kind?) in the original? also i remember Abby Grant being a lot better looking than Julie Graham (although I was only 10 at the time) and don't get me started on the
diffrence between the two Greg Prestons....

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
They're all a bit clean and neatly turned out aren't they?

We've already established that the water mains have gone off, and no one seems to have it hit on the idea of washing in the rivers yet. So how are they doing it?

Everyone I know (including me) looks like shit if they don't wash for 24 hours.

What IS missing from the story is any sense that there are emergency planning procedures that would kick in during a crisis like this one.

Even during the Black Death, with fourteenth century infrastructure, the authorities collected the bodies up and buried them.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Does anyone remember a TV programme a few years back, called The Last Train

It was pretty much the same story line, but some people were on a train that crashed in a tunnel, but when they get out, they had been stuck in the tunnel for YEARS and the whole world had been wiped out, when they get out the tunnel it was much like Survivors is now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What I find difficult to believe is that one evening a few people had a fever and the following morning 90% of the population is wiped out. Eh? In past holocaustal plagues, I'm fairly sure they got a bit more warning than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here