minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Didn't watch as i thought it was a documentary about the middle east. :p

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
A great example of a troubled young footballer surrounded by completely the wrong people earlier in his career. He clearly has a range of mental health issues which should have been addressed earlier but were no doubt not helped by his hard-drinking, boozing hangers on.

I thought his wife came out of last night's show looking good. His step-son was just plain weird with his hero worship and inability to get on with his life.

His biological son was probably the saddest. Not only did he not really want anything to do with his dad, which you can understand when you think he will have seen up close all Gazza but his mum through, but he displayed the occasion ticks and mannerisms of his dad - which makes you think he could have inherited some of his father's mental health problems.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was Iron Maiden.
And none of it was in the slightest bit funny.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
There is never, ever any excuse for violence against a woman in a relationship.

He was a wife beater and should forever be ashamed of that fact!!

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
There is never, ever any excuse for violence against a woman in a relationship.

He was a wife beater and should forever be ashamed of that fact!!

Or domestic violence in general, regardless of whether it is the man or the woman dishing out the slaps.

It annoys me when people get all starry eyed over George Best and Gazza et al. Yes, they were talented footballers. But that alone should not absolve them of their sins as a human.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Or domestic violence in general, regardless of whether it is the man or the woman dishing out the slaps.

It annoys me when people get all starry eyed over George Best and Gazza et al. Yes, they were talented footballers. But that alone should not absolve them of their sins as a human.
I totally agree,it was so depressing to watch last night, here was a man with an undoubted talent troubled with a mental illness and taken advantage of and there is nothing funny about watching a family disintegrate.
along with George Best and Gazza you might like to include Maradona another great player who relied on drugs for to long

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Caught the end and although felt their was a strange element of playing out the scenario in front of TV cameras, I did feel for the kids especially when they had some hope they could persude their dad to get help, only to be told to F off.

If the accounts of Sheryls abuse are to go by he really needs to help. His eldest kid Nathan seemed a good lad and you feel for all concerened in these situatons as the whole process is painfull, destructive and does not look like it will have a happy ending.

Does anyone know how these programmes were funded, I saw a whole segment where they are watching the daily star website. Do they all then get paid for interviews, and would they be paid to be part of the programme. They had a nice house and cars. Gazza must be losing his money at a fast rate and only the eldest lad appeeared to be holding down a job.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You can put a lot of his problems on the alcohol, and perhaps sympathise with him to a limited degree for that.

But on the other hand, you can't simply absolve him of any blame for what he's done to his family. Most people get drunk sometimes, but they don't go home and beat up their partners, or disappear for days on end, or treat their families like crap.

Gazza may not be able to control the alcoholism, but he still has some control over his behaviour, even while completely trolleyed, so he won't get much sympathy from me.

Besides- if he was just some bloke from Whitehawk who beat up his wife, ignored his kids, and went on massive benders whenever he felt like it, I reckon most people on here would be calling him a scumbag. Why are celebrity addicts so often branded "brave" or "demonised" by tabloids, rather than "violent" or "cowardly"? Just a thought, like.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You can put a lot of his problems on the alcohol, and perhaps sympathise with him to a limited degree for that.

But on the other hand, you can't simply absolve him of any blame for what he's done to his family. Most people get drunk sometimes, but they don't go home and beat up their partners, or disappear for days on end, or treat their families like crap.

Gazza may not be able to control the alcoholism, but he still has some control over his behaviour, even while completely trolleyed, so he won't get much sympathy from me.

Besides- if he was just some bloke from Whitehawk who beat up his wife, ignored his kids, and went on massive benders whenever he felt like it, I reckon most people on here would be calling him a scumbag. Why are celebrity addicts so often branded "brave" or "demonised" by tabloids, rather than "violent" or "cowardly"? Just a thought, like.

Totally agree.

I was impressed by the three kids, though. Given the circumstances and what they've endured over the years, I thought that they had turned out pretty good, and talked a lot of sense. They could easily have gone 'off the rails' given their backgrounds, so I really admired their maturity and level-headedness.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Real car-crash TV. It's all been said about Gazza and then some - but for all his obvious faults, weaknesses and in some cases heinous crimes, you did slightly wonder what she was up to with this documentary.

It's not as it it was spontaneous, clearly planned for some weeks and then filmed for several months.

On many occasions she was shown tearily saying "We may not be together but I really care about him". Well, not that much love - I don't think this particular venture did his mental state much good.

And it all smacked a bit of an ex-wife who seriously thinks he is going to end up dead quite soon, and was just making sure everyone knew it wasn't her fault.

All very sad, about the greatest English player I've ever seen play live.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Having seen it last night I'm fairly sure his biological son might turn out to be a bit of a benny.....

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Yesterday, The Times ran with the headline: Israel Splits Gaza In Two. That must have been some weapon to split Gaza in two. What next? Israel Splits Jordan In Two?

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Real car-crash TV. It's all been said about Gazza and then some - but for all his obvious faults, weaknesses and in some cases heinous crimes, you did slightly wonder what she was up to with this documentary.

It's not as it it was spontaneous, clearly planned for some weeks and then filmed for several months.

On many occasions she was shown tearily saying "We may not be together but I really care about him". Well, not that much love - I don't think this particular venture did his mental state much good.

And it all smacked a bit of an ex-wife who seriously thinks he is going to end up dead quite soon, and was just making sure everyone knew it wasn't her fault.

Apparently it was supposed to be his idea and she went along with it for his sake and once he did a runner she was contractually bound to complete it?

She seemed comfortably off and he will still be paying her serious cash as she is looking after the children, so I don't quite see why she needed to put herself through that for her own sake. She has done a fantastic job of bringing the children up through all this, and I don't think she's as bad or manipulative as has been suggested, particulary by some tabloid readers and their ilk, some of whom you wonder if the lift goes all the way to the top floor!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Apparently it was supposed to be his idea and she went along with it for his sake and once he did a runner she was contractually bound to complete it?

She seemed comfortably off and he will still be paying her serious cash as she is looking after the children, so I don't quite see why she needed to put herself through that for her own sake. She has done a fantastic job of bringing the children up through all this, and I don't think she's as bad or manipulative as has been suggested, particulary by some tabloid readers and their ilk, some of whom you wonder if the lift goes all the way to the top floor!

Yes I felt if you took away who they were ,it was a very sad programme about how familys cope (or don't cope) with a family member with, alcoholism, violent behaviour and abuse, and mental illness.

Being a big cycling fan it reminded me of the sad demise of Pantani, locked away in hotel rooms,week long benders, self deluision and unable to take any help without manipulating the situation. Worst off all taken advantage of by people after money until the end.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton

Greatest English player you saw play live, Do you not remember watching Peter Ward at the Goldstone. :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here