Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surprise surprise... Daily Mail makes up Amanda Knox GUILTY story, including quotes

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For balance, we should probably also point out that (however briefly) the Sun, Guardian and Sky News also reported online either that they were guilty, or that the appeal had been turned down. Some of that may have been down to the nature of the verdict, where the judge started with her guilty verdict over libel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not quite sure where you get the 'it's all fiction' idea from. I didn't say that. So it's, err, fiction on your part?
No, the 'it's all fiction' idea is my point of view. That story was fiction, and the fact it didn't surprise you that much makes me think it must be quite common.

What they have done is very bad, in my view less so the human error of putting the wrong story up (although that is going to cost them a lot of money, this story is running in Seattle) but the fabrication of reaction. The journalists shouldn't have done it.
Indeed, no one is suggesting that the mistake of publishing it is what's wrong, it's the fact that they make everything up that's wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For balance, we should probably also point out that (however briefly) the Sun, Guardian and Sky News also reported online either that they were guilty, or that the appeal had been turned down. Some of that may have been down to the nature of the verdict, where the judge started with her guilty verdict over libel.
What would be good is if we can see their 'guilty' reports. If they are without the made up quotes etc, then it would show us that the problem is the Daily Mail, and not journalism as a whole.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, the 'it's all fiction' idea is my point of view. That story was fiction, and the fact it didn't surprise you that much makes me think it must be quite common.

Think what you like, but you've lost me. This isn't common at all. I can't off the top of my head remember another instance like this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think what you like, but you've lost me. This isn't common at all. I can't off the top of my head remember another instance like this.
What presumably isn't common, is the fact they published the wrong story, on such a high profile case. You, for example, have never sent the wrong one. But this one time they do publish the wrong story, it's full of complete fiction, which suggests that the stories being full of complete fiction is quite common (if she had been found guilty, this story would have been released, and we'd never have found out it was all made up).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A very easy mistake to make in this case. I was watching it live and if you don't speak Itaian very well, it would be easy to come to that conclusion. Things were very disorganised and the TV interpretters were having problems, the Sky one said initally that the appeal had been turned down, but this was reffering to just the libel - but it was not very clear at all. However, it was obvious to me within a few seconds that the appeal on the murder change had been dropped.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Interesting, US - why do you think that? I tend to agree, but I'm nowhere near as convinced as you!

Just her general demeaner, reaction and her speech yesterday, not to mention the evidence and forensics were absolutely shot to pieces.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Mail has a long track record of hounding innocent people like Colin Stagg so this is no surprise. It keeps the cretins who buy it happy.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It's not really idiotic, I'm sure if she had been found guilty, the 'innocent version' would have been leaked... too

It wasn't leaked. It was bleedin' well published. That's the problem.

It's not a case of making something up, or laziness, as has been suggested. As TG says, when a big story is about to break, the skeleton of a story will be pre-written both ways just to save time when it arrives. It's not a case of the journalist making something up, the problem lies with the sub in the office who pressed "publish" on the wrong one. These days, it's one click and it's out there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't leaked. It was bleedin' well published. That's the problem.

It's not a case of making something up, or laziness, as has been suggested. As TG says, when a big story is about to break, the skeleton of a story will be pre-written both ways just to save time when it arrives. It's not a case of the journalist making something up, the problem lies with the sub in the office who pressed "publish" on the wrong one. These days, it's one click and it's out there.

Quite. And I'm not sure how having to write two 1,000-word pieces instead of one (one of which shouldn't have been seen) qualifies as lazy. Whatever other faults (crass stupidity springs to mind) are on show, I wouldn't say sloth is one of them.

Nick Pisa's career has taken a hammering today. What if he was ordered to write it like that by some faceless senior? Or it was 'tarted up' by an editor afterwards before it went online? Both common scenarios. What the journalist writes is not always what appears. And that's even before he finds the imbecile who actually put it online, where it should never have been. That is going to be one tense exchange.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you use Twitter, check out the #MailHistory hashtag today :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here