Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surnames

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hawker: I'm either the descend of a keeper of birds of prey or a door-to-door salesman. I prefer to believe the former but the latter is probably true.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
forget that, absolute twaddle on my part:blush:

Possibly but I dunno - bearing in mind that the Franks (the tribe) were as much in what is now Germany as what is now France - one man's Charlemagne being another man's Karl der Grosse, for example - it makes sense that the name was also used by the likes of diarist Anne, for example - who originally came from Frank-furt.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My surname Wilcock is originally Anglo Saxon derived from Wilhelm ( resolver or protector) and cock/cox meaning affectionate or "son of"

The first Wilcock family was found in Leicestershire - Lords of the Manor of Knassington, before the Norman Conquest.

You can call me "my leash"

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
My surname is a derivative of Scoville which was a village in Normandy prior to William the C. going on manoeuvres. After filling in Harold he moved the inhabitants of Scoville to the Isle of Weight (the heartless bastard), where my great great great grandfather originated from.

So alas I'm French scum ......

I am a mis-spelt suburb of Nottingham, which is pronounced differently anyway.

The family originated in the East Midlands and were never Lords of any Manor. Generations back, they were mostly Frame Work Knitters, in the Hinckley area, where the industry was first established.

My great great great grandfather's half-brother had NINETEEN children - so it became quite a common name in the area.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Mine's a very attractive valley in Norway which I visited a while back. I'm told that Viking migrants tended to use the names of where they came from. I'm not THAT into raping and pillaging these days, just deploying a very occasional pint of Rohypnol top.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
According to Google my surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin and is a locational surname deriving from either of the places called "*******", in Suffolk, West Yorkshire or in Shropshire.

Very dull

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Our family surname is quite easy to trace even though it's nearly 1000 years old.

The surname is O'Loughlin but the title is 'O'Loughlin of the Burren'.

We are fortunate that we know exactly the chap from whom the name started in around 940AD because he became the head of the clan and the name spread on from him.

We know this because thanks to those dedicated little monks who put the Annals of the 4 Masters together its documented in there.

Pays to be a blue blood ;)

Last edited:

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I am a mis-spelt suburb of Nottingham, which is pronounced differently anyway.

The family originated in the East Midlands and were never Lords of any Manor. Generations back, they were mostly Frame Work Knitters, in the Hinckley area, where the industry was first established.

My great great great grandfather's half-brother had NINETEEN children - so it became quite a common name in the area.

As a former resident, I can state with some authority that it's not so much a suburb as a crime and drugs ridden inner city ghetto hellhole :thumbsup:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
crapthreadao0.jpg

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mines a town in italy apparently hitler had his 1st man on man experience there with a bavarian midget :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here