Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Surely we must have some decent free kick takers in this squad?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, it is true that last season was Dunk's free kick-heaviest (4 in the PL and 4 in Europa League) but otherwise its been quite a steady stream, with the exception for 21/22 and 22/23 when we had Mac Allister.

17/18: 1
18/19: 2
19/20: 5
20/21: 3
21/22: 0
22/23: 1
23/24: 8
24/25: 1

So thats 20 and I'm missing some FA Cup FK or something, but either way: we usually have strikers missing more chances in a game than Dunk does in a season. Its not a great issue.
We at least want something close though . . . Just to be able to collectively go 'oooh'

MAc A vs Leicerstercestcestershyre and Gross Vs Everton are the only two direct free kicks I can remember, apart from JC @ Highbury, but that was before soccer was invented.

LD taking them now is like JC taking them early mid 90's . . . At least the defenders weren't laughing back then

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I try and make watching a free kick a bit more interesting by having a guess if it will go over the bar, hit the wall or go past the post.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The really annoying thing is Welbeck had already gone close so surely he’d earned another go, at least he could get it past the wall

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The really annoying thing is Welbeck had already gone close so surely he’d earned another go, at least he could get it past the wall
Was he on the pitch when Dunk took the last one?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We at least want something close though . . . Just to be able to collectively go 'oooh'

MAc A vs Leicerstercestcestershyre and Gross Vs Everton are the only two direct free kicks I can remember, apart from JC @ Highbury, but that was before soccer was invented.

LD taking them now is like JC taking them early mid 90's . . . At least the defenders weren't laughing back then
Poco at QPR is the only other within the last 10 years that I remember. I has bruises on my shins for weeks after celebrations behind the goal that night.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The best free kick takers score every ~12-15th shot they take from free kicks. Its a garbage way of trying to score goals in general.

Again, Lewis Dunk taking 21 shots from free kicks over 8 years is really the smallest issue imaginable. Its not the reason why we didn't win.
He scored one though didn't he? And two if that ref against West Brom hadn't made such a fool of himself. So - he'll be due another goal in the next 3-9 attempts!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He scored one though didn't he? And two if that ref against West Brom hadn't made such a fool of himself. So - he'll be due another goal in the next 3-9 attempts!
Indeed. He is the all time leading Brighton Premier League free kick scorer along with Gross and Ali Mac.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, it is true that last season was Dunk's free kick-heaviest (4 in the PL and 4 in Europa League) but otherwise its been quite a steady stream, with the exception for 21/22 and 22/23 when we had Mac Allister.

17/18: 1
18/19: 2
19/20: 5
20/21: 3
21/22: 0
22/23: 1
23/24: 8
24/25: 1

So thats 20 and I'm missing some FA Cup FK or something, but either way: we usually have strikers missing more chances in a game than Dunk does in a season. Its not a great issue.
All you're doing here is demonstrating your lack of understanding, caused by your distance and general lack of connection with the Albion fanbase.

No one is suggesting the reason we lost is because Lewis Dunk blasted a(nother) free-kick straight into the wall.

There was an audible groan in the ground when it became apparent Dunk was going to take it. People around me, including @Kuipers Supporters Club and @Mellor 3 Ward 4 were pissing ourselves laughing.

This is just British sarcasm and gallows humour. Nothng more, nothing less.

(There must be someone better though, surely 😊 )

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
All you're doing here is demonstrating your lack of understanding, caused by your distance and general lack of connection with the Albion fanbase.

No one is suggesting the reason we lost is because Lewis Dunk blasted a(nother) free-kick straight into the wall.

There was an audible groan in the ground when it became apparent Dunk was going to take it. People around me, including @Kuipers Supporters Club and @Mellor 3 Ward 4 were pissing ourselves laughing.

This is just British sarcasm and gallows humour. Nothng more, nothing less.

(There must be someone better though, surely 😊 )
Alright.

If you're saying no one was truly angry or annoyed with Dunk taking the free kick yesterday - all those angry shouty tweets and posts were just "sarcasm" in 100% of the cases - then who am I to doubt it?

Case closed then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Alright.

If you're saying no one was truly angry or annoyed with Dunk taking the free kick yesterday - all those angry shouty tweets and posts were just "sarcasm" in 100% of the cases - then who am I to doubt it?

Case closed then.
I've no idea - I've given up on twitter - you'll note the NSC account hasn't done anything for some months. It's a horrible, horrible place.

All I can say is, from those around me in the ground, and speaking with friends as we made our way home, it was more laughter-inducing than anger-triggering.

You don't understand us - real, live people brought up in Sussex, who've been going to games for decades - regardless of how much you think you do.

When you've been on our journey, having a home-grown England international take a free-kick in front of a home crowd of 31,500 when we're third in the Premier League is really not worth getting upset about.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I've no idea - I've given up on twitter - you'll note the NSC account hasn't done anything for some months. It's a horrible, horrible place.

All I can say is, from those around me in the ground, and speaking with friends as we made our way home, it was more laughter-inducing than anger-triggering.

You don't understand us - real, live people brought up in Sussex, who've been going to games for decades - regardless of how much you think you do.

When you've been on our journey, having a home-grown England international take a free-kick in front of a home crowd of 31,500 when we're third in the Premier League is not worth getting upset about.
Oh yeah, you know, its difficult. Sarcasm is an endemic feature of the British islands and doesn't exist elsewhere, so its a bit of a struggle understanding what is what.

I better learn a little bit then, right?

Dictionary:

sarcasm
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"

Great. All very alien to me of course so I'm going to have to look up the word "irony".

irony
noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Ah. Finally I'm understanding this concept!
As you say, its a little difficult for me as non-English to read the difference between people being genuinely annoyed. Hence believing that one or two of the posts below actually expressed a real annoyance with Dunk taking the free kick. Its my bad not realising they actually can't wait to see Dunk take another last minute free kick outside the penalty box.

Rutter and Mitoma's misses were really really bad. They justify their wages and score, we win.

Disappointed Ipswich grew into the game and we couldn't continue our intensity.

Mitoma got taken on by the full back one more time than he took him on. 0-1. He was better in the second half though.

Julio one class moment. Gave the ball away others.

We really rush things. These one touches just smash into each others shins. CHILL OUT.

I actually think we played well overall though and rather be us than Liverpool tonight. Ipswich will not go down. They defended really well as a team.

For the first time this season, we really missed Pascal Gross. His composure and finishing around the penalty area.

Oh and please for the love of God - Dunk f*** OFF taking free kicks you deluded idiot. You're not Ronaldo, it's not 2007 and it's too close to the goal. Embarrassing that he takes them.

QUOTE="Right Brain Ronnie, post: 11291780, member: 44588"]
I think Dunk pulled rank.
Again.
It's embarrassing.
Absolutely f***ing excruciating.
Has the bloke got no self awareness at all?
[/QUOTE]

I was amazed Enciso didn't take that free kick.

Dunk must have pulled rank there, he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

V poor decision.

Dunk taking (yet another) shocking free kick is actually embarrassing. It really needs to stop.

Embarrassing set pieces really. Was expecting a bit more considering there was a bit of hype about Hurzeler and dead balls. But no, Welbeck and Dunk on free kicks. Shite.

Gone back to trying to walk it into the goal, the last pass should have been a shot, had plenty of these chances in the 1st half.
Back to Potterball again, going backwards, needs to stop that now.
Dunk taking free kicks is an admission of desparation.
Got to stop this whilst still early doors.
Could have been 2nd.

Not the game I saw.

We tried a lot of shots (10 blocked), we weren't trying to just walk it in against a packed defence (a la Potter and latterly RDZ)
The passing around the box was much better than last season.
Towards the end of the game a lot of aerial crosses into the box, to try and mix it up.

Agree Dunk taking a free kick is absolutely mental.

I hope you're benevolent (benevolency was introduced here in 2004 so we foreigners know about that concept at least) enough to see past this cultural misunderstanding and I apologise to the people of Britain for not understanding that all of you.

I'll be better. Once I've had a cold burger while listening to "Freed from Desire" sober at a library in a rural Brighton suburb, my intellectual and cultural capacity will be through the roof, hopefully making me capable of understanding when someone express irony and when someone is genuinely annoyed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here