Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters Trust ?

Dandyman

In London village.
readingstockport said:
Dandyman, about 4 years ago a bunch of County fans - 20 or so- decided to get a trust up and running. For a long time the people involved at the coal face worked bloody hard, I live a long way away so couldn't really help too much. But their hard work paid off.

As I said we now own the club and no archole will ever be able to take it of us to build a sodding hypermarket.

If you would like I will drop you a line tomorrow with the names of some of our trust guys you can talk to. They are still busy, we only took over 3 weeks ago next Friday, but I'm sure they'll be mor than willing to talk to you and help out where they can.

Reading, many thanks. I have sent you a pm.

Dandyman, it's excellent that this issue has been raised by you again again. I think there has been some preliminary work done on it and it's definitely in the planning/conceptual stages.

The supporters club received a commitment from the club that all A&K money would be converted into shares in the club for the supporters trust. So that's £320,000 of the club that the trust, sort of, already own.

Admittedly there has been little news of the progress of the initiative in recent months because of the reality that a share issue is costly and should not be done lightly. Around the time of the establishment of the Falmer stadium has been mooted as the appropriate time when the ownership of the club can undergo the necessary restructuring. It is then a supporters trust can be launched and come into its own.

It's a very exciting idea and one in which most fans surely will come behind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
munster monch said:
I personally believe that a lot more would have been donated to the A&K fund had a supporters trust fund been in place.

Just my opinion but I am sure there are others like me who would only donate under those circumstances.
Indeed - myself included.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree with London Irish.

I think the main reason why this has perhaps not happened yet is that most fans are so greatful for what Knight et al have done for us that they see the idea of a trust as perhaps something distrusting of the board etc.

In reality it would be a great idea and one I would have thought this club especially would have had years ago.

I guess most of the hard working individuals who would be required to form such a thing are devoting all their time to Falmer.

Simster said:
Indeed - myself included.

Well, that means practically that there will be less shares given to the supporters trust initially. But of course you can do your bit when it's eventually set up :)

Richie Morris said:
I guess most of the hard working individuals who would be required to form such a thing are devoting all their time to Falmer.

I think that's spot on. Once Falmer is given the green light, I would expect all those people who have led the Falmer campaign from the supporters side will turn their attention to the trust and make that a big issue.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
London Irish said:
Dandyman, it's excellent that this issue has been raised by you again again. I think there has been some preliminary work done on it and it's definitely in the planning/conceptual stages.

The supporters club received a commitment from the club that all A&K money would be converted into shares in the club for the supporters trust. So that's £320,000 of the club that the trust, sort of, already own.

Admittedly there has been little news of the progress of the initiative in recent months because of the reality that a share issue is costly and should not be done lightly. Around the time of the establishment of the Falmer stadium has been mooted as the appropriate time when the ownership of the club can undergo the necessary restructuring. It is then a supporters trust can be launched and come into its own.

It's a very exciting idea and one in which most fans surely will come behind.

LI, thanks for that. I have to confess that I did not know of the commitment to the Supporters Club, but it's excellent news.

If there are any more details that you can share, please feel free to pm me.

Dandyman, alas I've told you all I know, but I think a good person to email would be Paul Whelch on pwhelch.t21@btinternet.com - who I think was the guy the supporters club passed the baton to in making some consultations among supporters. If you hear anything new from him on the issue, I'm sure everyone would like to hear it :drink:

Dandyman

In London village.
London Irish said:
Dandyman, alas I've told you all I know, but I think a good person to email would be Paul Whelch on pwhelch.t21@btinternet.com - who I think was the guy the supporters club passed the baton to in making some consultations among supporters. If you hear anything new from him on the issue, I'm sure everyone would like to hear it :drink:

LI, thanks. Possibly something for the upcoming Seagulls over London meeting...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Certainly a good idea.

This may sound a bit contravrsial as well but I think that a Supporters Trust would be an excellent chance to get some 'new blood' involved as well.

I am by no means unappreciative of the excellent job done by those involved with the Falmer campaign etc but I think for many fans it is hard to see where people stop being fans and start being club officials.

A trust would be a chance to get completely new people involved who clearly have no ties or relationships with any of the board.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Dick Knight once suggested at a Fan's Forum that money given to Alive and Kicking could be converted to a Supporters Trust holding in the future.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think that a Supporters Trust would be excellent for the club. While everyone considers it our club, in reality it isn't. A Supporters Trust will cement the relationship between the club and its fans.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
You could just do what we did at Crewe (in the last 6 months). Set up a new supporters group that is not a trust as of yet but its objectives are very much the same. Then gain funding, support and membership (5k+ in bank, 200+ members and we only launched on Saturday). And, coincidentally, someone put 23% of the club up for sale last week which is, itself, an opportunity....;)

Despite all your hopes of an equal Marxist-esque group, you really need one person who is going to get everything started, knows enough people, prepared to put in the work etc. For us, it was/is a bloke called Jules Hornbrook who did the fanzine for 10 years, always involved with supporters group etc. You really need that one person to push it along as sentiments will only get you so far. If you can get 'in' with the club (our hierarchy already hold meetings with the chairman every week I think) then you're sorted. It's a lot of work for the people at the top though as people like me promise a lot and then do f*** all.

If you have no need to take over the club, then do what we are planning which is to try and help increase gates/revenue. Eg - running buses from local areas, free shirts to kids etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here