Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support your local/independent shop

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you're reading this, you're reading a rant on one of my pet subjects. Following on from the David Rose thread, BoF asked what can we do about the onset of the chains and big boys?

I have always felt that if I support my team because of a sense of local pride (as opposed to them not necessarily because being any good), then I can do the same for local businesses; David Rose and Swift Sports being such examples.

This is something generally aimed at town and city dwellers. I live near Fiveways where I shop as much as I can at the local shops employing (usually) knowledgeable people about the wares they are selling. The products are often local sourced, or even made on premises.

For instance, there is an excellent butcher, baker (Ravens - forget Forfars) and greengrocer within 100 yards of Fiveways - all of whom sell fine quality products. I don't need to get in the car and hoy my sorry arse to Sainsbury or Asda, all that I need is on my doorstep. The only thing missing is a fishmonger, get one in there now, and I'm sorted.

It is well documented that supermarkets drive often unfair nasty bargains with farmers in order to buy their products, sometimes leading to intensive farming which has a hazardous effect on the local environment. With your local butcher or greengrocer, the price you pay is more often reflected in a fairer deal for the growers. Not always, but sometimes.

You may feel you are paying more for the products bought locally, but you can generally ensure that the products are of high quality, fresh and, as often as not can be made to order. Those bagged salads in the supermarkets? They are washed with a stronger concentration of chemicals than you would find in a swimming pool, eliminating 75% of the vitamins and goodness in the leaves. Want a cake made to order? Can your supermarket do that for you? Want a goose in the middle of summer? Maybe a recipe for asparagus - Sainsbury charge you extra for a cookbook for that sort of information. And on and on.

I am not advocating boycotting the supermarkets - I go there myself occasionally - but I would say give some consideration to your local business. It's better for the environment (fewer car journeys), often better quality, good for variety of diet, and much better for the local economy.

Support your local business. Go to the local shop.

RANT OVER.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Also the big boys especially on meat products also pump them full of water to make the weight they are advertising so you are not always getting 500g of chicken, more like 350g of meat and 150g of water.

I buy our meat from a local butcher and it tastes far superior to the trash Tesco or Sainsbury's let you buy

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I agree, a fine effort. But can I have an exemption clause for Decathlon? It's fantastic.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We do the majority of out shopping in Shoreham and Southwick!

The staff are more friendly and the products are better quality!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If possible I try to use the butcher for meat. It's usually cheaper and the difference in quality is massive. The only problem is that most butchers only open 9-5 ish monday to saturday. Local shops don't fit in with my lifestyle, unfortunately I have no choice but to shop in the supermarket most of the time, which is a shame because I like eating nice food :(

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I also use a local shop where I can to buy precious things. Tubbs and Edward provide a great service and Hilary Briss' sausages are to die for....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well said, TLO.

I buy very little food from the supermarket: we have our vegetables delivered and buy most other things from the Open Market in London Road - except our wine from Butler's or Sussex Wine Society.

The grouse I do have is that I have to hop on my bike to do this, there are no greengrocers or bakers within two miles of Coldean. I remember when all estates had local shops - there were two greengrocers in Moulsecoomb when I was growing up there.

Support local shops by all means: but some of us don't have local shops to support.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
TLO, well said, I think people are doing this more and more. I live out in the middle of nowhere near Pulborough. There are 5 butchers within 5 miles, 3 farm shops, 2 greengrocers and 2 fishmongers, and they are all busy, all the time.

Tesco and Sainsburys obvioulsy cottoned onto this, as we now have 2 Tescos (1 Express and 1 medium size store) and a Sainsburys, within quarter of a mile of each other. They provide a service, saves me driving to Worthing or Horsham when I need to use a supermarket.

However, the smaller shops remain popular, and I think they will continue to do so, better service, better products, often better prices, and far far fewer miles driven.

Anyone out there who still uses Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys for everything, give it a rest, try your local shops, save some money and get nicer food. And save a tree or two in the process.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gwylan said:
Well said, TLO.

I buy very little food from the supermarket: we have our vegetables delivered and buy most other things from the Open Market in London Road - except our wine from Butler's or Sussex Wine Society.

The grouse I do have is that I have to hop on my bike to do this, there are no greengrocers or bakers within two miles of Coldean. I remember when all estates had local shops - there were two greengrocers in Moulsecoomb when I was growing up there.

Support local shops by all means: but some of us don't have local shops to support.
A trip to Fiveways on the No.46 bus now and again might be in order then. :)

PS, for anyone living in Southwick/Shoreham/Fishersgate area, I can recommend a fine wine establishment for you. www.thewinehouse.co.uk You can taste the wines before you buy, and/or he'll make suggestion for you for any given occasion or to suit anyone's palate - if you ask nicely.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is a very difficult one for the tree hugger brigade, because on the one hand its great to support your local produce man, however, if we all stopped buying supernarked fruit and veg, the third world would be even more impoverished.

personally, this weekend we bought....

kenyan beans
Guatemalan Broccoli
English potatoes ( Jersey anyway)
South African Asparagus
Australian Wine,
Turkish Cherries
Israeli Oranges
French Apples

I think the plastic carrier bag was made in Tillbury:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Right on. In my village on the Merseyside/Lancs border we have an independent butcher and greengrocer and I make sure I go there for me meat , fruit & veg. I'm not saying I never go to Supermarkets; but where I can I always shop local. Now if we had a decent offy.....

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If people need a blindingly state-the-obvious rant to make them realise that shopping locally might be better than buying from a PLC, I humbly suggest they are not going to get it.

It was worth reading for the "tree hugger" verbal excretion from Dave though - a keyboard snapshot of the racist old uncle who spoils Christmas dinner.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We are very lucky in Seaford

Paul's Plaice for wet fish (He and his bro Andy great albion Supporters)
Walbrins the butcher
JJ the green grocer
Health store which has organic fruit & veg
Seaford Bakery (do their own bread making)

plus lots of cafe/coffee type places.

Ah Seaford........................ home of Doug and others

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't forget the off-licence that sells Harveys, Gaffer. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here