Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supervolcano

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone watch this last night? I was looking forward to it but found it ultimately disappointing. The actiing was wack and it didn't leave me feeling at all worried like a decent Natural disaster drama should.

I will be watching tonight but am not expecting much.

The fact about the crater of the Volcano being 30 miles in diameter is pretty mad tough, apparently during the last earthquake there and whole range of mountains was swallowed up.

:ohmy:

*bang*

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I watched it, does go on a bit, waited a whole hour for the eruption - special effects look quite good for a TV programme.

It was encouraging to see that the top volcano bloke sent his wife and kid to London.

If you look through the crap of the programme though, the fact that all the facts are true, that the next super eruption is overdue is a bit worrying though, although when you put it into perspective its just as likely to happen in two years time as it is in 2,000 years time.

Know what, it'll be sods law that it happens the day after Falmer is approved.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I logged back on with the express intention of posting a thread on this, but you beat me to it.

Anyway, I agree - I am actually expecting a LOT more than was offered yesterday. So far very disappointing.

I did enjoy Casenova on BBC3 though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was watching Help, which was very good again.
Not too bothered about scientists so bored they have to invent things like this. Like dark matter. They just invented it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit to flicking onto 'Help' throughout the second half of Supervolcano and found it to be very amusing.

The Magician who feels like a fraud because he can actually do magic was really funny.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Thought it was good entertainment. This is no real reason to think that a SuperVolcano will errupt anytime soon, but it kept me and the missus interested enough to want to watch the second part tonight at 9pm

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I watched it and thought that it was ok. I've been to Yellowstone so could say "ooh I've been there" as they showed various bits, the mrs didn't seem to give a toss.

The US geological have a direct response to the program on their website

USGS

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Scottish bloke looked strangely familiar. Was he in Casualty? The Bill? Heartbeat? Emmerdale? All of 'em?

Get the feeling that any realism/suspense built up in the first part will go completely to pot in the second part. Like the park rangers will probably just get on abandoned motorbikes, skeedaddle out of Yellowstone, weave through traffic and out-run that pesky supervolcano to highish ground just like that kid did in the film about the meteor that hit the earth. Hoorah!

Bit lucky that eruption pinged exactly in the same direction as those bits of bridge tho? What's the chances of THAT happening ???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
The Scottish bloke looked strangely familiar. Was he in Casualty? The Bill? Heartbeat? Emmerdale? All of 'em?

He's been in a few things, most recently Gangs of New York.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wasn't he also that dancing boy's Dad, set up north, can't think of its title

(Wife's comment whilst watching not mine)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Think they could have shown a bit more of the suffering. Since they implied that millions died, yet you did not really see any of it. Also it would have been better if they had shown some of the "Walk to life" people.

All in alll a good program just let down by it's budget.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hate disaster movies. (Just thought I'd share that with you) :wave:

larus

I watched only the second part last night, and the one thing that left me astounded was the implication that the death toll from the eruption, be that thr pyroclastic flows or the ash cloud would be huge.
However, they failed to follow up the implications of the drop in world-wide temperatures of say 15C, and snow on the ground in most of the northern hemisphere for the next 3 years or so.

Now, call me picky, but how the f*** would humanity survive in our current structure with the loss of crops/livestock caused by a permanant winter of 3-4 years.

IMO, the death toll from this would dwarf that from the direct causes of the eruption. Perhaps I missed something.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here