Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Supermarket fuel.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I use to fill up at Morrisons Leek unleaded and apparently Morrisons have sold off their fuel ⛽ station arm of the business ? Now until late August i have had no issues with supermarket fuel until my last purchase. Unfortunately that purchase has cost me a fortune to put right, the following morning my car really struggled to start so much so i managed to get to our regular service garage and after diagnostic tests etc problem solved by draining the tank and dirty fuel has anyone else suffered a similar fate ?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Morrisons have indeed sold off their petrol stations but kept the branding.

I too used to merrily put their petrol in, not least because I used to live next to one, but also because I never have any petrol in my car to allow me to drive by it to an alternative!

Earlier this year I had a mechanical problem with my car that required plugging in to analytical diagnostic thingys and the first thing they said to me was 'do you use supermarket fuel, if so stop'. Given how much the car cost me to get put right I have pretty much stopped using any supermarket fuel especially Morrisons as thats the nearest one to where I live.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

I too used to merrily put their petrol in, not least because I used to live next to one, but also because I never have any petrol in my car to allow me to drive by it to an alternative!

Earlier this year I had a mechanical problem with my car that required plugging in to analytical diagnostic thingys and the first thing they said to me was 'do you use supermarket fuel, if so stop'. Given how much the car cost me to get put right I have pretty much stopped using any supermarket fuel especially Morrisons as thats the nearest one to where I live.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
read similar from time to time, shunned super market petrol for while too. thing is all the petrol comes from the same half dozen refineries, and in a given region probably from one. supermarkets shouldnt have any different fuel, except they dont put in same additives. but the stories persist.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Pretty much every time you drive past or to a supermarket fuel station they've got plenty of cars filling up at their pumps.
If the fuel was rubbish you'd see all these cars abandoned at the side of the road all over the place.
Check the Internet if you think your fill up has caused you problems.
You won't be the only one.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Oh come on....you didn't think I was going to let you post on a thread about petrol and let you get away with it did you?

When have you ever done anything merrily? Especially put petrol in your car!?!

When you lived next to said petrol station the other side of it was a cash point. What was your excuse for never having any cash on you?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I used to know the manager of the Alton pipeline (Southampton to London). He explained to me how the fuel would be sold off from the holding tanks. The top 2/3 would be used by the top brand the last 1/3 by the cheaper distributors such as supermarkets. Though all filtered etc the bottom would contain "dirtier" fuel. He also said the top brands would add additives directly into the road tankers prior to leaving the fuel depots. The fuel line could send all types of fuel up to London (LGW and LHR) with bullets between

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have been using supermarkets for fuel for decades and never had a problem.

Decades ago wasn't it Jet that was supposed to have these problems, given their pump price was always slightly cheaper, and everyone thought it was to do with them only buying the bottom of the barrel fuel to transfer to their pumps.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Oh come on....you didn't think I was going to let you post on a thread about petrol and let you get away with it did you?

When have you ever done anything merrily? Especially put petrol in your car!?!

When you lived next to said petrol station the other side of it was a cash point. What was your excuse for never having any cash on you?
The cash point was on the opposite side of the road.

A very busy A road at that.

I couldve been mown down in my prime.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
The cash point was on the opposite side of the road.

A very busy A road at that.

I couldve been mown down in my prime.
Talking of filling up I use either Sainsbury's in Hove or Tesco in Shoreham. Tesco ever so slightly cheaper than Sainsbury's. Drove to the office last week and had to fill up at Sainsbury's at Chichester where it was a whole 6p cheaper per litre. I politely asked how come it's way cheaper here and was advised (off record) that it's kept higher at certain locations in the UK based on demand. Surely that makes a complete mockery of the regulations? Needless to say I will be saving my next fill up for Chichester and not Hove ACTUALLY!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I use the Esso station on the Lewes to Uckfield road. Always cheap and get 36 mpg in my car.
Applegreen in Uckfield state 'Low fuel prices, always' but are more expensive and I would get less mpg from their fuel.
Whilst in Eastbourne last week I found a garage next to the NCP Trinity Place selling diesel 10p litre cheaper than elsewhere. At that price I had to fill up. 33 mpg so far but town driving.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I used to know the manager of the Alton pipeline (Southampton to London). He explained to me how the fuel would be sold off from the holding tanks. The top 2/3 would be used by the top brand the last 1/3 by the cheaper distributors such as supermarkets. Though all filtered etc the bottom would contain "dirtier" fuel. He also said the top brands would add additives directly into the road tankers prior to leaving the fuel depots. The fuel line could send all types of fuel up to London (LGW and LHR) with bullets between
Can you imagine how difficult that would be to organise? Sorry but I just don't believe your manager friend.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I only use E5 petrol which as far as I’m aware is no longer available in supermarket stations. I am very suspicious of long term use of E10 fuel, I tend to keep my cars for years so peace of mind for me.

Only time I’ve had “dirty” fuel was from a country village petrol station in rural France years ago

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All petrol is the same, most of it comes from the same fee places.

the difference between happy shopper and posh is additives.

the lower end of the market may not look after it as well so always go for somewhere with a high turnover.

there are filters and water separators everywhere in the process, and in your car so it really shouldn't be an issue, assuming things are serviced and maintained.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Talking of filling up I use either Sainsbury's in Hove or Tesco in Shoreham. Tesco ever so slightly cheaper than Sainsbury's. Drove to the office last week and had to fill up at Sainsbury's at Chichester where it was a whole 6p cheaper per litre. I politely asked how come it's way cheaper here and was advised (off record) that it's kept higher at certain locations in the UK based on demand. Surely that makes a complete mockery of the regulations? Needless to say I will be saving my next fill up for Chichester and not Hove ACTUALLY!
I regularly drive from Shoreham to Hampshire and that petrol station is always 5/6p cheaper than the ones in Shoreham. It makes a mockery of so called open competition when the Sainsbury’s and Tesco PFS are exactly the same price in Shoreham/Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here