Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supergrass appreciation thread

IIFTM is the best album of the last decade.
Nothing threatens it's status, no Nirvanas nothing.
Come to think of it, Nirvana were pretty average, and The Screaming Trees spank them all over Seattle.

For consistently making great records though, Porcupine Tree take the bourbons and the McVitties chocolate digestives (dark).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never bothered before but am going to out of my way now to pick up some of their music.

If I waste money or time on this, someone is going to get my wrath. So there.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I first head Supergrass when i was listening to some BBC world music show.

The commnetator came on and said "And hey here's a great new band out of Oxford called supergrass and this is a single off their soon to be released album I Should Coco"

Then out of the radio blared Caught by the Fuzz and instantly i was hooked.

Waited a few weeks til it was launched in England and went and had it imported.

I thought when i first heard them, Finally, a band that had that madness goofy spirit in songs and stuffin around in film clips that had been missing for along time, well since Madness of the 80's.

I often wonder what would have happened if they accpeted the offer to do a Monkees like show how their music would have ended up.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I've just finished listening to Life on Other Planets at ear splittingly loud volume - what a friggin' ACE album.

Got me thinking - I still haven't got around to buying DIAMOND HOO HA yet. Anyone have it? Is it up to standard?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I've just finished listening to Life on Other Planets at ear splittingly loud volume - what a friggin' ACE album.

Got me thinking - I still haven't got around to buying DIAMOND HOO HA yet. Anyone have it? Is it up to standard?

I have bought it and personally, I don't think it is quite up to scratch. There are some good songs on it and they seem to have developed their music in terms of technology and things, but its not the best album.

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
I love this band. Seen them live a few times (Brixton in about 99 was pretty special) and still play three of their albums loads. Really underrated when you hear people listing the finest guitar bands of 90's and 2000's.

Here's a little theory: one of their earliest singles was a pretty silly ditty, Alright, for which many people will always remember them. I think that single has always held them back as so many potential fans kind of dismiss them as lacking credibility.

If I may venture, just like the Boo Radley's who produced, IMHO, one of the seminal albums of the 90's, Giant Steps, a masterpiece. But they are generally remembered for a similarly inoffensive but bubble-gum pop track, Wake Up Boo.

Mind you, David Bowie's career just about recovered from the Laughing Gnome so it shows what I know. Fack all, that's what.

By the way – true fact. When filming the video for ‘Alright’ they were all off their faces on good quality ecstasy. Look at Danny the drummer if you see it again, his eyes are all over the place.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
Class band, definitley underated. The new albums a good solid album, not as great as their earlier stuff, but still worth buying if you're a fan.

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
I've managed to catch them many times (old enough to have seen them as The Jennifers at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford) and they never dissapoint. Me and Mrs JetLag will be seeing them this very Friday supporting the Foos at Wembley. :guitar:

Having just bunged Supergrass' In It For The Money album on my MP3, I can safely say that it's one of the best guitar albums produced in the UK in the past 20 years - a work of sheer genius.

They went a bit downhill after that but IMHO their first two albums are masterpieces.
603px-In_It_For_The_Money.jpg

True.
I was on their mailing list until I changed my address.
I think 'Mungo', who wrote the mails was one of the band.

Jan 30, 2008
I quite like Supergrass in some ways, but i think i merely smile from a distance rather than really celebrate and listen. If on the radio i won't sneer and launch a poo-poo, but nothing of theirs truly grips my lungs enough to muddy their breath with thrill. So i'll just continue to wave from over here.

I have to try and bring back the feelings or makings of all music i have listened to so currently down They Might Be Giants and get emotional around the soupy intent of Particle Man.
:)
what a load of tosh,get to the point without the drivell

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Been listening to Supergrass is 10 recently again, and yes it is an amazing compilation album.

What other songs would you advise listening to from Supergrass, that aren't on that album (It is the best of 1994-2004 I think)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Stunningly good band. Richard III contains one of my favourite parts of a song, it's the combination of the bass riff and the keyboard in the bit after the second chorus. Love it. Late in the Day, Caught By The Fuzz, Seen the Light, Sun Hits the Sky, Bullet.. also a superbly mellow tune off In It For The Money - 'It's Not Me', the chord sequence is just brilliant.

Definitely one of the best British bands of the 90s. Something about their sound and Gaz's voice just sums up the meaning of that era to me, to a tee.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Like Mr Ball, I've never really felt Supergrass are a band for superlatives. But I admire them because they are the ultimate 7/10 band - all of their albums are nailed on 7/10s, and every time I've seen them live they've put on a good, fun gig without being spectacular. Probably the most consistently non-duff band I can think of, so fair play for that. And Richard III is brillio.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I love em, one of my most played bands of the past few years for me.

Life on other planets an album inspired by Douglas Adams and the french radio station Nostalgic, whats not to love.

Nightclub classic 'can you hear us pumping on your stereo'

I did not like them at first, but quality album release after another made me see they are a class act and excellent live.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else see them live at Arundel Castle with the Lightening Seeds in the Summer?.
Cracking evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here