Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superb resignation speech by Brown

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I think he is a decent man, his policies are decent too but he just did not have the right 'look'. In a society where politics seems to be more about the person and less about the policies he always seemed to be on to a loser.

Spot on. There is something very unsavoury about the way the press often referenced his looks. Its a shame that in politics often style wins over substance. (I didn't vote labour because of one thing - Iraq).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
7.25pm Thank you, and goodbye

And this is it; the prime minister is en route to Buckingham Palace to resign.

He said this; full version shortly:

"I said I would do all that I could to ensure a strong, stable and principled government was formed, able to tackle Britain's ... challenges correctly ...

"I have informed the Queen's private secretary that it is my intention to tender my resignation to the Queen. In the event that the Queen accepts ... I shall invite her to extend an invitation to the leader of the Opposition to become the prime minister ...

"Only those who have held the office of prime minister can understand the full eweight of its responsibilities ... I have learnt ... a great deal about its frailties and my own ...

"I loved the job for its potential to make this country I love fairer, more green, more tolerant, more democratic, more prosperous, and more just. ... I have always strived to serve, to do my best in the interests of Britain.

"I have always admired the courage of our Armed Forces ... our troops represent all that is best in our country. I will never forget those who have died in honour and whose families live in grief ...

"In this hour I want to thank all my colleagues, ministers, members of parliament, my staff ...

"Above all i want to thank Sarah for her unwavering love and support ...I thank my sons John and Fraser...

"As i leave the second most important job I could ever hold, I cherish even more the first, as a husband and father.

"Thank you and goodbye."

cheers Gordon :)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Agreed - top speach. Shame that an honourable man is lost from the parliament - he certainly will not hang around on teh back bench of opposition.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Incidentally he has been treated apallingly by the press and no more so than the SUN. A senior politician and good friend of Gordon's said the newspaper was 'EVIL' in the way it PERSONALLY ATTACKED him. No dignity whatsoever. f*** you Merdock ****!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's a shame he never really commanded his position on the political throne. All that time the PM-in-waiting, only to be handed the role just before the boom he claimed credit for slumped miserably. If he'd spoken so elegantly throughout his time in charge he mightn't have lost an election to the self-centred brutes of the right.
Good luck to you Gordon. I hope you get a decent Labour leader to follow you who has that mixture of charm and heart needed to take charge.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Extremely dignified.

History will rightly judge him as nothing special in either of the great offices.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
full speech:

BBC

Gordon Brown has announced he is to resign as prime minister. This is his full statement:

As you know after the general election, that left no party able to command a majority in the House of Commons, I said I would do all that I could to ensure a strong, stable and principled government was formed; able to tackle Britain's economic and political challenges effectively.

My constitutional duty is to make sure that a government can be formed following last Thursday's general election.

I have informed the Queen's private secretary that it is my intention to tender my resignation to the Queen.

I have been privileged to learn much about the very best in human nature, and a fair amount, too, about its frailties, including my own
Gordon Brown

In the event the Queen accepts, I shall advise her to invite the leader of the opposition to seek to form a government.

I wish the next prime minister well, as he makes the important choices for the future.

Only those who have held the office of prime minister can understand the full weight of its responsibilities and its great capacity for good.
I have been privileged to learn much about the very best in human nature, and a fair amount, too, about its frailties, including my own.

Above all, it was a privilege to serve and, yes, I love the job, not for its prestige, its titles and ceremony, which I do not love at all, no, I loved the job for its potential to make this country I love fairer, more tolerant, more green, more democratic, more prosperous and more just - truly a greater Britain.

In the face of many years, challenges up to and including the global financial meltdown, I have always tried to serve, to do my best in the interests of Britain, its values and its people.

And let me add one thing also, I will always admire the courage I have seen in our armed forces.

Now the political season is over, let me stress that having shaken their hands and looked into their eyes, our troops represent all that is best in our country, and I will never forget all those who have died in honour and whose families today live in grief.

My resignation as leader of the Labour Party will take effect immediately, and in this hour I want to thank all my colleagues, ministers, members of Parliament, and I want to thank above all my staff who have been friends as well as brilliant servants of the country.

Above all I want to thank Sarah for her unwavering support as well as her love and for her own service to our country.

I thank my sons John and Frazier for the love and joy they bring to our lives and as I leave the second most-important job I could ever hold, I cherish, even more, the first as a husband and father.

Thank you and good-bye.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What a dignified farewell. And what a smashing family. Wishing them nothing but good things. He's done his bit. Time to let go. Total respect for the man.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Didnt agree with his politics but can only respect the man for his dignified way he left office.

Does anyone know which sweaty team he supports?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here