Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland thinking of pinching one of our songs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm up for that chant BEFORE the game to get everyone going, but for some reason I'm not a fan during the game, because it distracts from watching the play and hardly motivates the players, does it? I thought that was the point of chants, to support your team (or abuse the opposition/ref), not tell people your geographical location.

What's next? "It's threeeeee o'clock, it's threeeeee o'clock, it's three o'clock-in-the-afternoon!"

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
None of them came to the amex this season to heard it then.

Apart from the one who says there was "more noise there than he's heard in a long time" when we were singing it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm up for that chant BEFORE the game to get everyone going, but for some reason I'm not a fan during the game, because it distracts from watching the play and hardly motivates the players, does it? I thought that was the point of chants, to support your team (or abuse the opposition/ref), not tell people your geographical location.

What's next? "It's threeeeee o'clock, it's threeeeee o'clock, it's three o'clock-in-the-afternoon!"
I must admit that's my view as well: fantastic beforehand for building the atmosphere, but during the match it's the verbal equivalent of a Mexican Wave as people aren't watching the game or supporting the team, they're looking at one of the other stands.

I will admit that some can accuse me of being a bit of a hypocrite as I'm usually the first to complain when the Song Nazis say "We can't sing such-and-such because Accrington Stanley use it" . Consequently I'm not opposed to it, I'd just prefer it if it weren't used during the game - unless it's shit of course and we need something to amuse ourselves.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I must admit that's my view as well: fantastic beforehand for building the atmosphere, but during the match it's the verbal equivalent of a Mexican Wave as people aren't watching the game or supporting the team, they're looking at one of the other stands.

I will admit that some can accuse me of being a bit of a hypocrite as I'm usually the first to complain when the Song Nazis say "We can't sing such-and-such because Accrington Stanley use it" . Consequently I'm not opposed to it, I'd just prefer it if it weren't used during the game - unless it's shit of course and we need something to amuse ourselves.

We don't need to do it pre-match, we have Richard Reynolds to gee us up and build the atmosphere by playing annoying songs and shouting over them!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Totally agreed. I'm all for pretty much 99% of chants, for some reason that one just annoys me because it feels like no one's giving a shit about the game.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
on one hand i dont like the fact that it implies no1 is watching the game when this chant goes on.

on the other hand its pretty much the only one that we manage to get everyone singing and in time so its when we make the most noise.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Why doesnt it motivate the players?

As far as I'm concerned its probably the biggest noise of the game, it certainly the one time the west sounds like that "wall of noise" we were promised back in July

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why doesnt it motivate the players?

As far as I'm concerned its probably the biggest noise of the game, it certainly the one time the west sounds like that "wall of noise" we were promised back in July

Because it's a chant that has NOTHING to do with them, and suggests that fans aren't giving a f**k about the game (and thus the team) at that point in time. It suggests that the fans have stopped watching and are just chanting amongst themselves.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Because it's a chant that has NOTHING to do with them, and suggests that fans aren't giving a f**k about the game (and thus the team) at that point in time. It suggests that the fans have stopped watching and are just chanting amongst themselves.

If the players are focused on the game, which they should be whilst the ball is in play, I bet none of them really listen to what is being sung

Yeah, let's ditch Richard Reynolds so we can get the magiko going, rather than well known Brighton songs that sound quite loud :facepalm:

What is it with you and that Magiko song? I know no-one else that really gives a stuff but you take it very personally. Was it the special song that you and an ex-girlfriend had once and now just brings back bad memories?

Seriously, it's clear you have an agenda. What gives?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If the players are focused on the game, which they should be whilst the ball is in play, I bet none of them really listen to what is being sung

Ballbags they hear it. Murray's reaction to the "ditch the wife" chants. Noone loving the "Nooney" chants when he first arrived. Chants can clearly affect them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Yeah, I bet John Barnes never really took much notice of the old OOH OOH OOH OOH when the ball was in play.

It does effect them, definitely.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ballbags they hear it. Murray's reaction to the "ditch the wife" chants. Noone loving the "Nooney" chants when he first arrived. Chants can clearly affect them.

But those are player specific which are usually sung just after the said player has done something on the ptich. When the ball is in play I bet they don't hear what the fans are singing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here