Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland shares go for knock-down price

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
So what lessons do we learn from this?

Nobody in their right mind invests in football club shares to obtain an income from dividends.

Anybody who buys shares in a football club in the hope of eventually making money by selling them on at a profit is going to be disappointed.

It might be kind of nice to have a stake in a football club, but you can wave goodbye to any money you put in.

Money given to the Alive and Kicking fund is a gift (but at least you know its a gift).

Money "invested" in a share issue is also a gift (but it's dressed up as something that it isn't).

I think that was always accepted to be the case. It was accountability and how the money would be spent that was the case for a supporters trust and why some, me included, will not contribute to A&K.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
munster monch said:
I think that was always accepted to be the case. It was accountability and how the money would be spent that was the case for a supporters trust and why some, me included, will not contribute to A&K.

I just naturally assumed that DK would spend all the A&K money on hookers and gin, what other use could he have for it?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lord Bracknell said:
So what lessons do we learn from this?

Nobody in their right mind invests in football club shares to obtain an income from dividends.

Anybody who buys shares in a football club in the hope of eventually making money by selling them on at a profit is going to be disappointed.

It might be kind of nice to have a stake in a football club, but you can wave goodbye to any money you put in.

Money given to the Alive and Kicking fund is a gift (but at least you know its a gift).

Money "invested" in a share issue is also a gift (but it's dressed up as something that it isn't).

thats about right
nice to see LB on the TV last night

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dougdeep said:
Why sell at that price? That's madness!

Capital Gains Tax relief - the loss can be offset against profits, so it actually makes a bit of sence.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:

I agree on first point but not the second.

As I said alot of people have made significant profits on MUFC shares especially when there was the proposed tie-up with SKY.

Therefore it is a question of timing.

munster monch said:

I don't quite understand your point about "accountability". But on how the money would be spent, even if there was a supporters trust in existence, it would not be able to dictate to the executive officers of the club how the club's money is spent - that must be left appropriately, as it is in any company, to the role of the executive officers within a broad strategy laid down by the board.

I contributed money to the A&K fund knowing that the club had made a promise to convert that money into a shareholding stake for the supporters trust that is currently in the very early stages of planning to be set up.

So we A&K donators have already done our bit for the supporters trust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here