Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland & Connor Wickham

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
An interesting club to keep an eye on in terms of bringing in strikers at the moment (and perhaps letting one or two go out on loan).

Saha has signed and a bid has been accepted for Fletcher. O'Neill is a big fan of Ji and also Sessegnon who plays an advanced role.

Therefore the likes of Frazier Campbell and Connor Wickham might be deemed surplus to requirements. The latter, as we know, has banged them in at this level and went short of games last season. I know we want a permanent deal, but could a season-long loan be welcomed whilst we continue to look for a solution?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Wickham would be a great signing. Good age also.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If we're going to get involved for a Sunderland striker, Fraizer Campbell fired a rubbish Hull team into the Premier League. Imagine what he'd do in a brilliant Brighton team.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Did Wickham "bang them in" at this level? I must have missed that.
Big lump with lots of potential still - pace and a decent shot on him but hasn't really progressed from being the wunderkind into being a successful pro-footballer - he hasn't really been first choice striker anywhere yet.

Not saying no but the reality is that he isn't actually proven or even close to being the finished article and would represent a fair risk if we were to pin our hopes on him. Skill-wise, a step up from Chris Wood but remarkably similar in many respects.

Campbell is a very very good player but is he really "different" or complementary to what we have?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
but hasn't really progressed from being the wunderkind into being a successful pro-footballer - he hasn't really been first choice striker anywhere yet.

Are we really likely to sign someone who has been a first choice striker at a EPL team unless they are on their way down? It would be much better to sign someone of his ability but with a point to prove because he has a career ahead of him.

there are some very delusional people on here if you don't think Connor wickham is not what we needor wouldnt be a good signing for us.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Did Wickham "bang them in" at this level? I must have missed that.
Big lump with lots of potential still - pace and a decent shot on him but hasn't really progressed from being the wunderkind into being a successful pro-footballer - he hasn't really been first choice striker anywhere yet.

Not saying no but the reality is that he isn't actually proven or even close to being the finished article and would represent a fair risk if we were to pin our hopes on him. Skill-wise, a step up from Chris Wood but remarkably similar in many respects.

Campbell is a very very good player but is he really "different" or complementary to what we have?

I think Wickham would compliment what we already have - pace and natural wingers (when played in the right position...). He's also a bit of a bully and we need a bit more of that in our squad. Although Croftsy was putting it about last night.

I just feel we are going to get to the point where it's "beggars can't be choosers" and we end up signing someone for the sake of it.

Campbell, yes, similar to CMS but more of a natural fox in the box, in my opinion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think Wickham would compliment what we already have - pace and natural wingers (when played in the right position...). He's also a bit of a bully and we need a bit more of that in our squad. Although Croftsy was putting it about last night.

I just feel we are going to get to the point where it's "beggars can't be choosers" and we end up signing someone for the sake of it.

Campbell, yes, similar to CMS but more of a natural fox in the box, in my opinion.

Noted re Croft (excellent work) Cardiff were whinging over some of his tackles

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are we really likely to sign someone who has been a first choice striker at a EPL team unless they are on their way down? It would be much better to sign someone of his ability but with a point to prove because he has a career ahead of him.

there are some very delusional people on here if you don't think Connor wickham is not what we needor wouldnt be a good signing for us.

Is it delusional to express concern that a potentially talented but largely unproven young player might not be the solution we need?

Wickham may or may not prove to be a goal machine. The simple fact remains that he hasn't actually shown it yet. A young striker with similar (if arguably lesser) skills helped us to gain promotion from League 1 to the Championship. Whether that is what is needed to make the next step is questionable.

History suggests that it is experienced professionals who have made the most significant impact on clubs seeking promotion rather than ingenues. To suggest that a senior player automatically has nothing to prove and will make a lesser impact is certainly a viewpoint but I can't think of any reason to share it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here