Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday Times Magazine - Cover story on Lewes

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any road, here's someone who is more angry about this than anyone on here is likely to get (which is saying something), in a rant stratosphere all of their own...amazing the blogs you can stumble across.

http://idlepenpusher.blogspot.com/

It`s not 'mixed race' now but 'dual heritage' children ?
At least we `ve moved away from piccaninny I`d tell him.

Dandyman

In London village.
Not sure if anyone's posted this but the cover story of yesterday's S.T. magazine is about a white bloke describing the 'uncomfortable' time he had living in Lewes with his black wife and mixed-race children. Basically he reckons the only decent people he met were fellow Londoners like himself; the locals he dismisses as bonfire-obssessed bigots.

Think he got it pretty spot-on myself! We all know it's a 'local place for local people'.

Always nice to see people from a small fishing village colonised by Londoners commenting on the County Town.

Lewes like many small towns can feel insular to outsiders but to portray it as some hotbed of redneck racists is idiotic. I grew up in the town between the mid 1960s and early 1980s when casual racism was far more common and while there were comments made and probably some real or attempted bullying of the small number of non-white (usually mixed race) and Jewish kids at school it was a long way from hard core racism.

The author of the article (who I note is from Fulham rather than Brixton or Tottenham) is also woefully ignorant about Bonfire and what it signifies but then cultural stereotyping is not confined to any one background it appears.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Always nice to see people from a small fishing village colonised by Londoners commenting on the County Town.

Lewes like many small towns can feel insular to outsiders but to portray it as some hotbed of redneck racists is idiotic. I grew up in the town between the mid 1960s and early 1980s when casual racism was far more common and while there were comments made and probably some real or attempted bullying of the small number of non-white (usually mixed race) and Jewish kids at school it was a long way from hard core racism.

The author of the article (who I note is from Fulham rather than Brixton or Tottenham) is also woefully ignorant about Bonfire and what it signifies but then cultural stereotyping is not confined to any one background it appears.

Without wishing to join in a private argument (I am a West Sussex man myself), Lewes might be the county town but Brighton is defiantly the most important city.

I know a lot of people from Lewes supported Falmer, but I will never quite feel the same towards the place after the resistance they put up.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having read the article I concluded the main problem the family had was not living in Lewes but the fact that their Father was a bit of a sad tosser who could 'find' racism everywhere he looked....

I think he needs to reconnect with his London roots myself :wave:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It`s not 'mixed race' now but 'dual heritage' children ?

oh ffs. i was wondering what the term du jour is, since mixed race is shunned and half cast apparently inherently racist. but i bloody well refuse to use "dual heritage". surely im bloody dual heritage having welsh family, im sure many are from more than one "heritage".

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Can't argue with that, I am indeed a Londoner who has moved down here! No, I do take your point about the author who at times does come over as a bit of a sanctimonious 1980s PC twat only too ready to take offence. But a bit like e77 I can't hear the word 'Lewes' without thinking 'anti-stadium scum'. Consequently anything that blackens* the name of the town and causes it embarrassment amuses and pleases me.

*No doubt the author would object to my choice of words and would suggest I had a really good look at myself and thought harder in future before using such racist language.

Dandyman

In London village.
Without wishing to join in a private argument (I am a West Sussex man myself), Lewes might be the county town but Brighton is defiantly the most important city.

I know a lot of people from Lewes supported Falmer, but I will never quite feel the same towards the place after the resistance they put up.

It's probably been said before but many of the anti-Falmer lobby seemed to come from the small bit of the coast* that is bunged into LDC land rather than Lewes itself

* not Newhaven btw.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's probably been said before but many of the anti-Falmer lobby seemed to come from the small bit of the coast* that is bunged into LDC land rather than Lewes itself

* not Newhaven btw.

My problem is more with the 'elite' who just seemed hell bent on the stadium never happening, for reasons I never fully understood.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes

By 'they' I think you mean the District Council. LDC did not ask, in any worthwhile way, its residents (which includes me) for our views on the stadium.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I read that article it was a bit wierd, he was critical of people who brought up race in a "nice" way but then seemed sure everything that ever happened with his kids was because they were mixed race.

But to be fair Lewes does seem to be where arrogant people with no manners go to die

Norman Baker take note!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here