Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Such a tight tie - the ref

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It shows you how bad referees are generally when everyone' so positive about a ref who on Friday missed three clear elbows and booked Calderon for such a soft foul. He also gave a joke of penalty yesterday

Calderons yellow was no doubt at all. He certainly could have booked for elbows, but he could also have given pens for our shirt pulling. I think he got it about right overall.

Dec 29, 2011
No chance. It's on the SW highlights and there is no way on earth they were penalties. Correct call from the ref. The commentator was talking about it being a good case and I watched it three times and still couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Definitely chance, been given in other instances, I think Clattenburg would have seen that when analysing the game and will be looking out for it tonight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Definitely chance, been given in other instances, I think Clattenburg would have seen that when analysing the game and will be looking out for it tonight.

Nope. No chance, unless he had been incompetent. I'd say the Leicester penalty yesterday was MUCH more of a penalty that the "shirt pulling" I assume you are referring to (Upson, second half, on the right side of our penalty box) which looked like nothing to me.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think how we handle our discipline in tonight will decide the outcome of the match. If we keep our heads, we will win IMHO. If not we will get undone by a set-piece of some sort. Calderon v Zaha worries me

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not applying the rules of the game, no matter how long the match has been played for, is not sensible.

Agree with this, although I thought he dealt with incidents like Buckley/Jedinak well.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I didn't think there was much in the shirt pulling or the elbows tbh. He did catch barnes and could maybe have got a yellow, but it was leverage in jumping against kuszczak, much ado about nothing. The shirt pulling was a joke, if you give a pen for that you give 10 penalties a game, I guarantee that was happening in their area too. Six of one half a dozen of the other, imo. I worry about clattenburg though. Prem ref or not, he loves being centre of attention.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Clattenberg loves to be centre of attention. There will be a penalty and a red card tonight. Just hope it's in our favour...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It seemed that Oliver decided to keep his cards in his pocket for the first half of the game, which was sensible.

You say that, but Buckley was rugby tackled in the first few minutes after he had skinned their left back. If their player had been booked - as he should have been - then the whole game could have been different. Similar to Calde trying to keep Zaha under wraps whilst carrying a card - their player would have had the same issue.

I understand why Oliver didn't book him so early in the game - but that was so blatant and might have been highly influential. And as it happens, Buckers got kicked three or four more time s by other Palace players in the following 10 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here