Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
No Way!, thats just madness. What a bloody jobsworth

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Is the ref a jobsworth or has he actually got the rules wrong? I thought celebrating a goal by removing your shirt was a bookable offence, but I didn't think the rules said anything about removing your shirt at any other point of the game.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
At the end of the day, it is down to the referee to make judgements about a player’s actions and the punishment they deserve. However, below are the offences that officially warrant a yellow card:
• Wasting time in order to delay the match restarting.
• Offensive behaviour through words or action, e.g. swearing or aggressive play.
• Unsporting behaviour, e.g. extravagant celebrations or removing shirt after goal scoring.
• Failure to maintain the 10 yard distance required when a corner kick or throw-in is being taken.
• Entering or leaving the field of play without the referees permission.
• Persistent infringement of the laws of the game e.g. repeated fouls

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree with the referee on this one. For one it makes it more difficult for the 4th official to check the correct player has left the field of play.

He can take his shirt off later.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is the ref a jobsworth or has he actually got the rules wrong? I thought celebrating a goal by removing your shirt was a bookable offence, but I didn't think the rules said anything about removing your shirt at any other point of the game.

Probably called it "unsporting behaviour", which is a handy catch-all.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Agree with the referee on this one. For one it makes it more difficult for the 4th official to check the correct player has left the field of play.

Are you for real? he's got the shirt in his hands, he can show the 4th official the number.

Its not like he's thrown it away and he clearly hasn't swapped shirts.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Are you for real? he's got the shirt in his hands, he can show the 4th official the number.

Its not like he's thrown it away and he clearly hasn't swapped shirts.

Yes I was, the last time I looked. Don't recall rugby or cricket players deciding it's okay to undress as they leave the field. The time footballers start showing the officials a bit of respect, the better the game will be.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
had the substituion taken place, did the oncoming player still play, or did the red card occur at such a time that they were down to 10 men?

either way, a really stupid interpretation of the rules, if even valid (is link to celebration explicitly in the rules, i thought it was any time). player swap shirts at the end of the game before leaving the field, shirely thats more or less the same thing?

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
love it
this made my evening
many thanks
he obviously didnt realise he had already been booked before provoking the referee

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

HIs number is on his shorts as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here