Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Subbed players just walking off

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
here are the FA official rules for making subs:

Substitution procedure

In all matches, the names of the substitutes must be given to the referee prior to the start of the match. Any substitute whose name is not given to the referee at this time may not take part in the match.

To replace a player with a substitute, the following conditions must be observed:

the referee must be informed before any proposed substitution is made
the substitute only enters the field of play after the player being replaced has left and after receiving a signal from the referee
the substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a stoppage in the match
the substitution is completed when a substitute enters the field of play
from that moment, the substitute becomes a player and the player he has replaced becomes a substituted player
the substituted player takes no further part in the match, except where return substitutions are permitted
all substitutes are subject to the authority and jurisdiction of the referee, whether called upon to play or not

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...3---the-number-of-players#3FBziWwXOpBrPyS2.99

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
More to the point, I'd be concerned about Zaha's ability to walk that extra distance without falling over.

Nicely done.

As a general rule it makes sense for a team chasing the game to do this but I am surpised there is no rule on this because it does seem open to problems, the main being the offside thing.

Although us and Huddersfield also have away kits which clash with our stewards and I thought on Saturday this could have been a problem with stewards in front of the East Stand (from my view in the West) looking marginally like a player at a quick glance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Saw it in a junior game some years ago where the player subbed off was walking round the pitch and couldn't resist putting a toe in to tackle the opposing winger as he ran past. Cue apoplexy on one side and laughter everywhere else and a hotly contested red card from the ref!
Don't think there was any problem with what they did to save time on Saturday although I wouldn't have been surprised if the ref had made them take the shortest route to the technical area. Bet Hudds wouldn't do it if they were a goal up and wanting to see out the game!

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
here are the FA official rules for making subs:

Substitution procedure

In all matches, the names of the substitutes must be given to the referee prior to the start of the match. Any substitute whose name is not given to the referee at this time may not take part in the match.

To replace a player with a substitute, the following conditions must be observed:

the referee must be informed before any proposed substitution is made
the substitute only enters the field of play after the player being replaced has left and after receiving a signal from the referee
the substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a stoppage in the match
the substitution is completed when a substitute enters the field of play
from that moment, the substitute becomes a player and the player he has replaced becomes a substituted player
the substituted player takes no further part in the match, except where return substitutions are permitted
all substitutes are subject to the authority and jurisdiction of the referee, whether called upon to play or not

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...3---the-number-of-players#3FBziWwXOpBrPyS2.99
But as I posted yesterday, the substituted player is NOT obliged to leave the pitch at the halfway line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here