Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Style Of Play

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I think many people read too much into style of play. A lot if fans apparently do not want Cotterill to take over (assuming the bald one goes to Reading) because of the long-ball game.

Has Steve Cotterill come out and actually said he plays long-ball tactics or are people basing their views on what we saw of Cheltenham Town? Put it this way, through the years I have seen 2 interviews with 2 different managers about the long-ball game which have stood out for me. The first was Harry Bassett who said he is a long-ball manager and will always employ those tactics. The second was Ian Atkins when he was in charge at Northampton Town and he stated that he played long-ball tactics because it was the most effective method of playing with the quality of players he had. He added that he would love to play attractive football but just did not have the players to do it.

It could be the reason that Cheltenham Town played like they did under Cotterill was because it really was his only option.

Playing long-ball at the Albion would be a waste of time because we have a 5ft 4 striker and it would seriously lay waste to the talent of Rehman in midfield.

Anyway, I seem to remember the bald one playing the long-ball game at Palace and we seem to keep the ball on the ground most of time when we play.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Palace are, were and always will be a bunch of donkey bastards. Don't know whether that supports you're argument or not, I just felt that it needed to be said.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
What is obvious is that we have dominated the last two games because we have a confident link man in midfield, who looks for the ball, and gives options. Noone has given us that this season and this guy from Fulham has changed out style of play beyond all recognition

The Cat in the Hat

Sep 10, 2003
Thimble Keegan said:

Playing long-ball at the Albion would be a waste of time because we have a 5ft 4 striker and it would seriously lay waste to the talent of Rehman in midfield.

So why the hell have we been doing just that for most of this Season?

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Thimble Keegan said:
I think many people read too much into style of play. A lot if fans apparently do not want Cotterill to take over (assuming the bald one goes to Reading) because of the long-ball game.

Has Steve Cotterill come out and actually said he plays long-ball tactics or are people basing their views on what we saw of Cheltenham Town? Put it this way, through the years I have seen 2 interviews with 2 different managers about the long-ball game which have stood out for me. The first was Harry Bassett who said he is a long-ball manager and will always employ those tactics. The second was Ian Atkins when he was in charge at Northampton Town and he stated that he played long-ball tactics because it was the most effective method of playing with the quality of players he had. He added that he would love to play attractive football but just did not have the players to do it.

It could be the reason that Cheltenham Town played like they did under Cotterill was because it really was his only option.

Anyway, I seem to remember the bald one playing the long-ball game at Palace and we seem to keep the ball on the ground most of time when we play.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

I had a similar conversation in the boozer yesterday... our conclusion was that he was playing the football needed to get Chelts. out of the Conference and Third Div.

More of a concern to us was the fact that he went to Sunderland as number two to Howard Wilkinson......

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'll take any style of play that involves lots of blue and white striped shirts at the right end of the pitch, and the ball in the opposition's net on a regular basis.

Jul 21, 2003
style of play is vital and important to any team thats why must get DEANO in coz he is the midfield meastro take Souncess soon as he moves in as manager he sorts out the midfield then the rest will follow Cotteriol is hopeless yes long ball stuff makes me sck like Adams has us play sumtiems and coppell has too its not entertaining and its not effective

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
No you're right FG. It only got us promotion to the 1st, and will get us up again this season.
How do you know what style of football Deano will play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here