Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

student loans etc help

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Trying to find out how students get a loan for accommodation eg Hall fees. I see they get 2 loans one for maintenance and one for Tuition but no mention of an accommodation loan so how is that funded? anyone know?

Oct 25, 2003
you have to pay for your own accommodation.........you'd use the maintenance loan for it

if that doesn't cover it then i'm afraid you're relying on the banco del parento or part time work!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yeah, if you break down ALL your uni costs into 3 parts: accommodation, living and tuition fees - the last two are covered by your student loans. As for residence costs, you have to rely on your parents or your own savings.

You could use maintenance loans for accommodation, but that would probably leave you less than £800-900 to spend on food and booze and books and booze and condoms and booze over the whole year.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
you have to pay for your own accommodation.........you'd use the maintenance loan for it

if that doesn't cover it then i'm afraid you're relying on the banco del parento or part time work!

this. if you don't have a banco del parento you maintenance loan will only just about cover your accom unless you get extra grants etc

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The maintenance loan should be enough to cover your accomadation with some change (unless you're in London). If your parents aren't giving you a hand to do uni you'll have to do a year before saving or part time work - which will be enough to cover your living cost whilst you study, unless of course the reason you're going is more to do with getting pissed every night for a year!

Oct 25, 2003
however, living in uni halls will be pretty much the cheapest accommodation you'll ever have apart from living with your parents/a grimy bedsit

mainly because (i'm pretty sure always) bills are included, as well as (in some cases) food

Check your uni's website for details of other bursaries/grants available.... I was eligible to qualify for two at Sussex, I forget what they were called now... The Chancellor's Bursary and the other one was just called the Sussex Grant or something. You might have to fill in forms and details of household income/special circumstances etc but it's always worth trying cos everyone I know who asked for them got them.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Maintenance loan does mention its use is to finance accommodation in the student finance website :thumbsup:

Currently going through the procedure myself...bloody time consuming even with UCAS!!!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was pretty unlucky when I applied for my accommodation, because of the ridiculous system York use, it is first come, first serve, however this means all of the gap year and international students can pick and choose the best/cheapest digs. I was stuck with the worst AND most expensive block on campus :facepalm:. It will actually be cheaper for me to live in private accommodation next year :nono:.

In answer to the question, maintenance loan is for living and accomodation, if no other help is being given, get a job.

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
:cheers::rock:
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4826903 said:
Saying that, at Sussex unless you live in the pits the maintenance loan won't even cover the cost of each term's rent

Its all about east slope at sussex uni, a year I will never forget!! :guitar::smokin::cheers::drink::drunk::whisky::safeway:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
My rent at University was £3,000 for the year.

My student loan came in at a whopping £3,100 a year.

Beans on toast baby!:banana::banana::banana:

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
Trying to find out how students get a loan for accommodation eg Hall fees. I see they get 2 loans one for maintenance and one for Tuition but no mention of an accommodation loan so how is that funded? anyone know?

is there a deadline to apply for this year? what/where you studying out of interest

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
So what is the run down on the different Halls at Sussex Uni, on a budget?

East slope starts of the cheapest then places like norwich house/york house in the middle and lewes court/swanborough the most expensive. Bar far the best for social life is east slope ( I was 47!!) even if it was a bit of a shit hole, the intermediate hall are also quite good also however got the impression that all the rich international students stayed in the most expensive and therefore was dull at best. In my opinion east slope is the best and cheapest, however being a season ticket at the withdean may have prepared me for it.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
My rent at University was £3,000 for the year.

My student loan came in at a whopping £3,100 a year.

Beans on toast baby!:banana::banana::banana:

MY student loan this year (I'm currently in halls at Sheffield) comes in at £3600.
My halls this year cost me a grand total of £4600. So yes, thanks to the parents I covered it, and can pay them the grand back after the 3 years, but this is why people have problems. My tuition loan is £3600, exactly what my fee's cost, but add in living costs and books (already 300 quid ish i reckon after 6months) and it's clear why you'd need some savings before you go.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was pretty unlucky when I applied for my accommodation, because of the ridiculous system York use, it is first come, first serve, however this means all of the gap year and international students can pick and choose the best/cheapest digs. I was stuck with the worst AND most expensive block on campus :facepalm:. It will actually be cheaper for me to live in private accommodation next year :nono:.

I found the best way to pick your college at York was to have a brother that had already been there and go for the family tradition angle :thumbsup:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't first come, first served though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here