Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Stub Hub explanation please?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You were happy with the “ground rules” then, but seemingly not now? Has anything therefore changed?

Whilst it’s difficult to say if Stubhub are directly in-on-it they certainly profit from this activity; consequently they have zero interest in stopping it. This has been going on in the music world for some time and it’s only the artists who seem bothered to try and stop it. If AJ wanted to do something about this he could.

The ground rules that I was buying off a tout, Stub Hub is an official ticket source, therefore why are they selling above face value?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They're owned by eBay and are an official ticket reseller. So depends on the event terms and conditions. For those resell tickets stubhub is just hosting a transaction between you and a ticket owner. Unless the T&Cs state you can't sell on or transfer your ticket, it's not touting unfortunately.

A fiction. A loophole

It could be stopped easily if there was the will to do so from artists, promoters and government.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Yes, I'm old, yes I much prefer box offices you can queue outside or phone on a landline number but can anyone explain to me how stub hub works? And how its legal?

I'm planning to take a group of Gentlemen of a certain age to the AJ fight on 25th September, but the tickets allegedly sold out within 'minutes' via stub hub, but now I can see I can buy numerous tickets off stub hub but at a much higher price than the face value.

I thought ticket touting, which this is, is illegal, so how can it be done in such plain sight?

It's a risk but turning up outside the ground as late as possible without actually missing the fight and you can often get tickets around cost price if scalpers haven't been able to shift all their tickets. Not just scalpers, often people get ill or can't go and people are trying to shift tickets, although usually only single tickets.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's a risk but turning up outside the ground as late as possible without actually missing the fight and you can often get tickets around cost price if scalpers haven't been able to shift all their tickets. Not just scalpers, often people get ill or can't go and people are trying to shift tickets, although usually only single tickets.

People assume touts just sell tickets for vastly inflated prices. When there is no market for them i.e non sold out events you can often buy tickets from them at a fair bit under face.

Likewise as you point out often get much cheaper tickets if you are prepared to wait until nearer the start. I paid £25 to get into the stone roses at Wembley a few years back, think face was £60. Saw Metallica at the o2 for £20.

Touts serve a purpose in my eyes but think Covid and technology will be the end for them eventually. Got tickets for Gerry Cinnamon in a couple of weeks and the tickets have names and it says IDs will be checked and additional ticket holders need to enter with the person named on the ticket. Will be interesting to see if that is the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry but that's BS, Eddie Hearn was crowing on DAZN that the fight sold out within minutes.

Fair enough but Boxing News said different. They said within 24 hours. I guess Hearn would know though.

PS can you please remove my name from this post please [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The ground rules that I was buying off a tout, Stub Hub is an official ticket source, therefore why are they selling above face value?

I presume Stubhub have the contract to sell the original tickets; i.e. the official ticket source.

But it just so happens they also have an arm of the business which deals with the secondary market in all manner of events like gigs, sport and is separate from the original ticket source. It’s just owned and named the same; I imagine AJ tickets are also turning up on other secondary market websites as well? The secondary market is not much different to touting…..less shady I guess.

I don’t agree with this, just explaining it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A fiction. A loophole

It could be stopped easily if there was the will to do so from artists, promoters and government.

Quite a few bands, promoters and managers are introducing various measures to try and stop this.

Personally I am not entirely convinced by legislation as it may negatively impact small bands. I think it is best left to the individual artists and management.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its all profiteering by :tosser: I would love to see the owners strung up and business shut down, scum of the earth these re-sell sites.

If the event organisers or boxers/musicians had any balls they could do something about it IMO but they don't give a monkeys as they are getting paid whatever happens.

Only way to stop if is for mugs not to buy from them TBH

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Stub Hub is basically a legal tout…..they sell secondary market tickets. I’ve sold tickets a couple of times through them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here