Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker Struggle

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Just listened to Slade's interview on BBC radio and it seems that we are struggling to get a striker(s) he talks abouts everyone being after one striker (Simpson and Robinson!)and how expensive strikers are. A lot of posters talked about the ease of replacing Owusu and the fact we should let Murray go but it does not seem that simple to me.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I Think pre season training to start with is going to be quite sparsely attended as opposed to last season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
McGhee got slaughtered on here because he couldn't get a striker, in a higher division when we had less money, I hope Slade is not gonna come in for the same treatment two months down the line. This is also proof to all those who think replacing Murray is an easy job that you haven't got a clue..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Murray is class, hopefully we can keep him. Think Slades got his work cut out finding a replacement..

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
McGhee got slaughtered on here because he couldn't get a striker, in a higher division when we had less money, I hope Slade is not gonna come in for the same treatment two months down the line. This is also proof to all those who think replacing Murray is an easy job that you haven't got a clue..

McGhee was SPOILED for strikers.

He had:

LAZY Kazim-Richards
McPhee
Robinson
-and-
TROLLEY McCammon

We should have won the league with those options up front.

(or maybe not!)

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I had resigned myself to losing him, but I now think there is a chance he will stay. In light of the fact that Slade thought we would have a couple of new faces in by tomorrow morning the lack of movement is slightly disappointing. Still with regard to Murray I suppose no news is good news!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah really hope Murray stays.

People saying 500k for Murray is a good deal - completely deluded.

There are very few quality proven goalscorers just lying around at under 500k. Probably none. We NEED Murray.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
We have to be strict and either persuade him to stay even if it is only till January or have a replacement in place before he leaves

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I had resigned myself to losing him, but I now think there is a chance he will stay. In light of the fact that Slade thought we would have a couple of new faces in by tomorrow morning the lack of movement is slightly disappointing. Still with regard to Murray I suppose no news is good news!

I am still hoping there will be a few signings this week (maybe even tomorrow). Keeping Whing was good news but it would be great to have the full squad pretty much in place within the next week or two so they have most of pre season together. Having said that I would rather wait and get the right players in and trust Slade to do that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is this news?

Simple supply and demand mathematics would tell you that good strikers are hard to get hold of. Why would we be surprised by this?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why is this news?

Simple supply and demand mathematics would tell you that good strikers are hard to get hold of. Why would we be surprised by this?

Because apparently a limited number of the very best strikers were born and released into the market without a date stamped on their birth certificate and are thus worth so much more than the going rate.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
You are very wise Edna and know that top strikers do not grow on trees that cannot be said for everyone

there are a few interesting ones available

Steve Kabba, Nathan Ellington, Danny Webber, Leroy Lita all released or out of contract

or we take a risk on an unknown like Robbie Simpson or premiership/championship reserve

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You are very wise Edna and know that top strikers do not grow on trees that cannot be said for everyone

there are a few interesting ones available

Steve Kabba, Nathan Ellington, Danny Webber, Leroy Lita all released or out of contract

or we take a risk on an unknown like Robbie Simpson or premiership/championship reserve

Any of the above would be tidy, but they are all strikers with recent Championship or even Premier League experience, and as such, would be in demand by clubs holding considerably more status and/or money than ourselves.

All four that you mentioned will be fancying their chances of getting a Championship club- and if they are faced with dropping down a level, the likes of Charlton, Norwich, Leeds and Huddersfield (I'd include Saints but they don't appear to have any money :) ) will be ahead of us in the queue. We like to think we're a big club, but face it: to a neutral, we're just another average third division team.

For now :thumbsup:

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I agree with most points but I think there is a certain amount of clever tactics from RS. Playing it all down to get a good deal and not allow clubs we might negotiate with to take the piss. He will either get Murray to stay or get very very good replacement mark my words.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Because apparently a limited number of the very best strikers were born and released into the market without a date stamped on their birth certificate and are thus worth so much more than the going rate.

Nah - they were only the ones that were worth 20p anyway :)

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Any of the above would be tidy, but they are all strikers with recent Championship or even Premier League experience, and as such, would be in demand by clubs holding considerably more status and/or money than ourselves.

All four that you mentioned will be fancying their chances of getting a Championship club- and if they are faced with dropping down a level, the likes of Charlton, Norwich, Leeds and Huddersfield (I'd include Saints but they don't appear to have any money :) ) will be ahead of us in the queue. We like to think we're a big club, but face it: to a neutral, we're just another average third division team.

For now :thumbsup:

Kabba was on loan at Oldham last season and Ellington was ignored by Nigel Clough at Derby and is not wanted back by Watford. I wouldn't think it was beyond the realms for either to play for Brighton - wages would be the a major issue obviously but if they are clubless, something is better then nothing

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
well apparently we are planning to replace owusus gap with joe garner the former carlilse striker from forest in a swap deal for lynch

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
well apparently we are planning to replace owusus gap with joe garner the former carlilse striker from forest in a swap deal for lynch

That's according to 'Mark62' from The Argus comments bit and he is the most unreliable rumour starter you will EVER see.:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here