Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker dilemma

If it comes down to a choice between having to let one go and keeping the other should the situation arise to make way for a new signing, Gus has made it clear that he intends to bring in a new forward, who would you chose? Hoskins seems to be firing as is number 9 Ashley Barnes, Toby has been told to claim his place but poor CMS is injured and has so far not proved himself after two seasons in the championship. Danny Wilson might come in for Hoskins as he indicated if he proves his fitness. On the other hand, Gus might decided not to sign another for the time being. A nice situation to be in.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I was thinking we need a proven striker, who would cost a fair few quid, in the transfer fee and wages, but then recall we had Sam Vokes and Billy Paynter here last season, who didn't exactly set the world alight, despite their reputations, so would say now that it might be time to go with what we've got, in terms of CMS, Barnes, Angestein and Hoskins ??? But we DEFFO still need a ball playing, attacking CM as cover/competition for Vicente...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I think with better fullbacks we could afford to play with two upfront and would personally like to see Barnes and Hoskins partnered together, using CMS and Toby from the bench as impact subs. If I was Gus I'd be more concerned about signing a midfield general than a striker unless I was able to unearth a real 'gem'.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
would personally like to see Barnes and Hoskins partnered together, using CMS and Toby from the bench as impact subs. If I was Gus I'd be more concerned about signing a midfield general than a striker unless I was able to unearth a real 'gem'.

All over this.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
No. We need a ball winning, strong, attacking CM to play WITH Vicente.

You could be right. GK, back four, Bridcutt in front of these, Vicente/New CM in the middle, one floating winger, Barnes in behind CMS/Toby/Will H ???

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Hoskins seems to playing an awful lot of the pre season, maybe Gus is feeling the love again?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hoskins will be the one for the chop if we have to ship one out.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
It's time for people to face the facts CMS Is behind Hoskins and Barnes if Gus plays the people who have done best in pre season, so if any of the 4 big names were to go it would have to be CMS as Barnes and Hoskins have been on fire and Toby is a good young talent & TBH I still think hes been better than CMS so far.

Also people have got to accept A) We paid to much for him or B) He is worth the amount he cost us but he's just in the wrong team.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It may well be a mistake, but he'd be the most likely to go I'd have thought. I like Hoskins btw.

To be honest, I think CMS has the highest possibility of being sold off.
I personally don't think any strikers will go this window however we'd only sell one (CMS) if it was a part-ex deal.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
CMS is quality. You could put Michael Owen up there, but with no service, he wouldn't get more than 11 goals. Nor would and other striker.

I wish people would stop saying this he got plent of service from Buckley, Barnes, LuaLua, Noone >>>> Vicente<<<< but couldn't do nothing with the ball, Barnes didnt have trouble banging in the goals nor did Buckley and they both played as wingers mainly !

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I wish people would stop saying this he got plent of service from Buckley, Barnes, LuaLua, Noone >>>> Vicente<<<< but couldn't do nothing with the ball, Barnes didnt have trouble banging in the goals nor did Buckley and they both played as wingers mainly !

Buckley and Barnes are supposed to provide the service, they didn't. Buckley won us a few matches but I dont remember him putting anything decent in the box for CMS. Vicente put one on a plate and CMS put it in against Leeds. I remember CMS fighting his way down the wing and putting in a cross for Buckley to put away against Forest! It should have been the other way around. Plus he plays up front on his own with only 1 winger! I wish people would stop saying CMS isn't up to it, he clearly is, but we don't play to his strengths and he definetly doesn't get enough service.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton

I wouldn't say he got plenty of service, what makes CMS good is how early he sees his run, the players fail to see it, so he has to find space to make another run by which time barnes has floated into a decent posistion and gets played in. I don't know where you sit but surely you have seen CMS make endless of runs to no avail? Personally I would keep all the current 4 but if we had to make room loan out toby so he gets more game time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here