Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strauss gone

D

Deleted member 18477

Your thread title is stupid and mis-leading at the mo. no one knows anything until midday!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Certainly very selfish. In a team game that doesn't really work. Love to watch him when he's playing well, but hope he doesn't play for England again.

163 yesterday of 168 balls i believe quality player grade A prat

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Hope thats not the scenario but fear its true. Not the ideal circumstances in which Strauss should stand down. OK his own form has tailed off but after a hundred tests and leading England through their most succesful period (in my lifetime anyway) I guess he might say its time for a new Captain to lead England as they seek to regain the no.1 Test ranking. But it all has a whiff of being pissed off at Pietersen, can't blame him.

Its bad enough not having the talents of Pietersen as a cricketer in our team (but not his personal baggage) but to lose Strauss is a shame. I guess its a chance for youngsters to step up. Now is as good a time so they can use the forthcoming winter tours to prepare for the Ashes next summer.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
163 yesterday of 168 balls i believe quality player grade A prat

There are plenty of journeymen cricketers who score hundreds every week in the Championship. It means nothing.

Yet again KPs ego has taken down a good man. For Strauss read Moores.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Your thread title is stupid and mis-leading at the mo. no one knows anything until midday!

It's one of the NSC rules isn't it? Things must be stated as FACTS even if they are just opinions or rumours.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't image KP would walk back in.
If it did it would show a complete lack of loyalty from the 9 other players.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I heard Darren Gough last night saying overlook KP's personality just get him back in the team. You won't chnage him just let him play. I guess its looks so simple from the beyond the boundary rope but if you are in the England team and have to put up with KP's crap influence (we probably don't know the half of it). Given the statements about needing mutual trust and his record of toy throwing in the media a recall for KP would just be another car crash in waiting. Should they put up with that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I heard Darren Gough last night saying overlook KP's personality just get him back in the team. You won't chnage him just let him play. I guess its looks so simple from the beyond the boundary rope but if you are in the England team and have to put up with KP's crap influence (we probably don't know the half of it). Given the statements about needing mutual trust and his record of toy throwing in the media a recall for KP would just be another car crash in waiting. Should they put up with that?
That's what you get for listening to Talk Spite.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
There are plenty of journeymen cricketers who score hundreds every week in the Championship. It means nothing.

Yet again KPs ego has taken down a good man. For Strauss read Moores.

Reports suggest (though potentially over-egged to make it more of a story) were that it was a rather imperious century. 163 out of a total of 317, next highest score 34 would suggest that it's not the same as the journeyman cricketers scoring hundreds every week...
I am not in the least bit surprised as he is an amazing talent - he has shown time and again that when he's in the mood (usually selfish reasons - personal point to prove) he is on another level.

I'm gutted that he has (seemingly) been a factor in Strauss going (if reports are true) and would not have him anywhere near the team again. As I've said on a previous thread on the matter, I really think it should be made clear that he is never coming back so all the inevitable rumours of a return everytime he scores runs are at least minimized. That way, the team can move on and whoever takes his place has less pressure from the ghost of KP looming in the background...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You have to respect Gough as an exTest player, but his sentiment seems so wrong on many levels.

KP can play well. He doesn't always - far from it. I'm more impressed with Trott or Prior with the bat. Daddy Hundreds are all well and good, but where is he to hold an innings together, to bat for the team, to support the tail etc?

Secondly, what effect does his behaviour have on the team? Is he disruptive? Divisive? Or is he really misunderstood and plays and mixes with the team?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That's what you get for listening to Talk Spite.

Very true. TalkSport has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, Goughie was a great cricketer but now he's a media pundit he likes to pull the pin out a few grenades just to wind up the listeners. I didn't hear the rest of the show and whether any callers put him straight. But suspect his underlying view is the same - you wont change KP, just put up with it and get him back in the team. Of course this quietly overlooks that its a team game and you need to be a team when you walk on the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here