Strangeways on itv

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
yeah got it on, there are some sick (unts out there

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The French guy is a dangerous man! The murderer who killed is girlfriend is huge and the nurse said he has no empathy, i thought that was a clear sign of a psychopath? (the empathy not his size!)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I watched the last series and found it really interesting. I missed it last night but, being that I have the day off whilst my oven is being fixed, I might watch it later.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I watched the last series and found it really interesting. I missed it last night but, being that I have the day off whilst my oven is being fixed, I might watch it later.

I only watched the 1st episode and yesterdays. It was interesting, it proves prison is full of the 'sad, the mad and the bad' with the vast majority being the sad and the mad. Prob less than 10% are truly bad. The rest should be in secure mental institutions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That bloke who keeps shitting himself is seriously deranged

I felt a bit sorry for that bloke, he clearly has mental health issues and nobody to help him. He's locked in a cycle of homelessness and prison which everyone seems to ignore, they just chuck him out on the streets and wait for him to come back. He should put put in a mental home and rehabilitated by psycologists.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I felt a bit sorry for that bloke, he clearly has mental health issues and nobody to help him. He's locked in a cycle of homelessness and prison which everyone seems to ignore, they just chuck him out on the streets and wait for him to come back. He should put put in a mental home and rehabilitated by psycologists.

He is working the system. The problem is that he has no home so prison is better for him and he knows that. Mind you if every homeless person decided that going to prison was a better option (and in fact for many it is) then we would need double the number of such institutions. You need to remember that whatever the mental state of some prisoners they are inside to protect society against them. Anybody who thinks that prison rehabilitates defenders is very naive. Some do actually make a new life for themselves, John McVicar is a classic case in point. Jimmy Boyle is another. Sadly they are the exception rather than the rule. MAny drug addicts prefer prison as they are less likely to be able to get drugs to feed their habit (although it's not impossible), there are a number of reasons why many prisoners end up incarcerated but there are plenty of people in the same circumstances who don't.

sammy g

He is working the system. The problem is that he has no home so prison is better for him and he knows that. Mind you if every homeless person decided that going to prison was a better option (and in fact for many it is) then we would need double the number of such institutions. You need to remember that whatever the mental state of some prisoners they are inside to protect society against them. Anybody who thinks that prison rehabilitates defenders is very naive. Some do actually make a new life for themselves, John McVicar is a classic case in point. Jimmy Boyle is another. Sadly they are the exception rather than the rule. MAny drug addicts prefer prison as they are less likely to be able to get drugs to feed their habit (although it's not impossible), there are a number of reasons why many prisoners end up incarcerated but there are plenty of people in the same circumstances who don't.

I don't think he was working the system,I think he is unable to live in any system/society and as result is bounced from institution to institution with no one able to support him or help him make sustained changes because his needs are so high and his level of chaotic behaviour is unmanageable in the institutions he inhabits. As mentioned, many people in Prison are not bad they just do not or cannot function in society and Prison is just a short-term dumping ground for them.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
If you REALLY want to cut crime and of course prison numbers (which are at an all time high) then you give these people homes and jobs. These are two of the biggest factors in re-offending, however we'll just keep passing the buck and the cycle will continue. And it's debatable how much they want to cut crime after all prisons provide jobs for people and now Ken Clarke is talking about making prisons places of 'hard work and industry', now there's a great way to labour for dirt cheap and make big profits!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I was more concerned with the hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, it costs us all to keep these people locked up. By all means rehabilitate those who want to be and those who have done wrong and must pay for there crimes (and I do have personal freinds, who have served serious time and who are now back in society leading normal lifes having paid their dues). But what are we doing keeping people like that french animal, that was on there. Send him back to f***ing France. As for mass murderers and the like, hang the lot of them, save us all a fortune. Might even get a few percent off of our taxes. If you dont want help, like that guy who kept shitting himself and swinging the lead, then f*** him. Society is far to soft imho.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Strangeways is now part of the Maximum Security Estate. This is odd for me, as it's a city centre prison, and most Max Sec prisons are in the middle of nowhere, such as Whitemoor and Frankland. Funnily enough, when I used to work in the juvenile sector (policy work, I wasn't an officer or anything), the staff used to tell us that the long-termers (Section 90 - murder, Section 91 - serious offences) were far easier to deal with, as they knew they were in for some time, whereas the short-termers were an absolute pain.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't think he was working the system,I think he is unable to live in any system/society and as result is bounced from institution to institution with no one able to support him or help him make sustained changes because his needs are so high and his level of chaotic behaviour is unmanageable in the institutions he inhabits. As mentioned, many people in Prison are not bad they just do not or cannot function in society and Prison is just a short-term dumping ground for them.

I can assure you he is working the system, basically because it is there to be worked. The reasons that the situation is thus is a much wider subject though. There's a lot of homeless people but. for example, in London there are more than 6000 empty council properties, about a third are in need of repairs but the rest are just empty. What are the choices for homeless people ? Not good. There's not enough hostels so living in a cardboard box is a reality. Contrary to what a lot of people think there are not lots of jobs out there, being in and out of prison doesn't look good on a CV. Without a huge overhaul of the welfare system this is not going to change. In between time successive administrations will be happy to spend millions of pounds of tax payers money on consultants who will then proceed to do nothing of any consequence.

As far as this individual is concerned what would you do ? Put him in a mental home and keep him drugged 24/7 ?

The fact that some people have trouble coping with society is no more the responsibility of the prison service than it is the for the tradition call of a spell in the forces, the military don't want them either.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Strangeways is now part of the Maximum Security Estate. This is odd for me, as it's a city centre prison, and most Max Sec prisons are in the middle of nowhere, such as Whitemoor and Frankland. Funnily enough, when I used to work in the juvenile sector (policy work, I wasn't an officer or anything), the staff used to tell us that the long-termers (Section 90 - murder, Section 91 - serious offences) were far easier to deal with, as they knew they were in for some time, whereas the short-termers were an absolute pain.

Belmarsh is also maximum security, that's hardly a rural area. The reason people with long term sentences are easy to deal with is that they are treated differently as they have little to lose so the system allows them a lot more latitude as regards the prison rules.

D

Deleted User X18H

Bloke in the first episode drove a van 'for 1500 quid' to get some cash for Christmas. He just drove this van from A to B. He insisted he knew nothing of the massive consignment of drugs held within it. £1500 must be a massive temptation for a family man at that time of year. He spoke about how much he missed his son, and that got to me and how he worried how his wife was coping alone. Appeared to be a normal middle class type guy just, trying his best for his family in difficult times. But driving a van for an average months salary? Come on. I wanted to feel sorry for him and he hoped by pleading guilty he's cut a deal. But pleading guilty to what drug trafficking? He got 15 years. He kept saying over and over 15 years for driving a van.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Belmarsh is also maximum security, that's hardly a rural area. The reason people with long term sentences are easy to deal with is that they are treated differently as they have little to lose so the system allows them a lot more latitude as regards the prison rules.

My surprise is that with Strangeways being a city centre prison, I would have thought it would be heavily loaded with the sentence caseload from the Manchester courts. And it's an old Victorian hulk, not normally suitable for high security prisoners. Guess they must have redesignated it after the riots and beefed up the level of watch, etc. The system is clearly under pressure, in that Huntercombe, which used to hold juveniles, is now an adult prison. To add to the debate, we did actually manage to get the number of young people being sent to the secure estate down considerably (not always with the support of the public, and some certainly should have been sent down - Peter Williams, involved in the Nottingham jewellery robbery, had been given ISSP, an alternative to custody, for a previous offence and removed his tag), but we were still being sniped at constantly by one of the prison reform groups.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Bloke in the first episode drove a van 'for 1500 quid' to get some cash for Christmas. He just drove this van from A to B. He insisted he knew nothing of the massive consignment of drugs held within it. £1500 must be a massive temptation for a family man at that time of year. He spoke about how much he missed his son, and that got to me and how he worried how his wife was coping alone. Appeared to be a normal middle class type guy just, trying his best for his family in difficult times. But driving a van for an average months salary? Come on. I wanted to feel sorry for him and he hoped by pleading guilty he's cut a deal. But pleading guilty to what drug trafficking? He got 15 years. He kept saying over and over 15 years for driving a van.

I think they said he's suicidal, not surprised that's a hell of a long sentence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here