Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange decision by Gus

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Taking off Buckley and Navs for Kasim and Rodgers? Bit strange just after Wrexham scored, would have thought he would have thrown on CMS to try and win it. Although most around me were going "shit performance" and "we are a championship team" it was mainly our reserves and I for one thought we played some very nice stuff in the 2nd half but once again lacked a bit of penetration, encouraging stuff shown especially from Adgestein and JFC again...

D

Deleted member 22389

Thing is if Buckley had stayed on and he got injured also that would have been curtains. People would be complaining about Gus not trying the development squad. His hands are tied at the moment unfortunately. I'm honestly not bothered if he plays the dev squad against Wrexham and we lose. If they win it will be bloody amazing. Most importantly, I would rather we stay in the Championship and keep our 1st team players fit.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thing is if Buckley had stayed on and he got injured also that would have been curtains. People would be complaining about Gus not trying the development squad. His hands are tied at the moment unfortunately. I'm honestly not bothered if he plays the dev squad against Wrexham and we lose. I would rather we stay in the Championship and keep our 1st team players fit.
I agree with you but I thought he might throw CMS on to try and nick a goal and avoid a replay

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps Gus didn't want CMS cup tied ???

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
They were coming on before they scored and we played better as a unit with them on. Why the f*** are people moaning?

I'm not moaning, read my post before making judgements. I just thought they were strange subs

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I guess Gus felt the dev squad boys deserved to have a chance and enjoy the experience, can't fault him for that they all looked relatively comfortable on the ball and slotted in fairly well. we lacked anything up front though, Barnesy looked understandably a bit rusty and there was no real support for him.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If we'd have won, we'd all be saying that it was a pure genius decision.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thing is none of the DS lads did themselves ANY harm by playing today, in fact I suggest JFC has now given him a big selection problem for the next few league games. Sampayo once he got going looked good and only got booked thanks to Buckley selling him short. Hall was composed, didn't look quite as strong in the air as other CB's but will get there. Toby has a great game when he came on, although a bit indecisive, and very impressed with the maturity of Anton Rodgers play.

I think Gus has been very clever, as it is giving the boys a taste of first team football, and after their impressive performances in reserve games, why should they not?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Navarro had been booked and wasn't playing well, good call to take him off. Buckley was doing well but why risk injury?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
...yeah but we didn't.
Sounds like he confirmed the substitution before the goal was scored anyway. Don't care anyway, this isn't the year to be having a cup run imo.

Why is that??....Last year wasn't because we wanted the league,,I presume this year Isn't because we want to focus on staying up,,next year won't be because we want to push for the play off's....Ffs this is the FA Cup, every year is a good year for a cup run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....It's views like that, that is destroying the greatest domestic cup competition in world football...SAKE!!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Taking off Buckley and Navs for Kasim and Rodgers? Bit strange just after Wrexham scored, would have thought he would have thrown on CMS to try and win it. Although most around me were going "shit performance" and "we are a championship team" it was mainly our reserves and I for one thought we played some very nice stuff in the 2nd half but once again lacked a bit of penetration, encouraging stuff shown especially from Adgestein and JFC again...
I agree with all your comments. I really enjoyed seeing the youngsters play. Hall was excellent too.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
They were about to make the substitutions before they scored, Buckley was having a poor game anyway, so probably best to take him off.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thing is none of the DS lads did themselves ANY harm by playing today, in fact I suggest JFC has now given him a big selection problem for the next few league games. Sampayo once he got going looked good and only got booked thanks to Buckley selling him short. Hall was composed, didn't look quite as strong in the air as other CB's but will get there. Toby has a great game when he came on, although a bit indecisive, and very impressed with the maturity of Anton Rodgers play.

I think Gus has been very clever, as it is giving the boys a taste of first team football, and after their impressive performances in reserve games, why should they not?

I agree with you. They had the opportunity to show what they could do and not one of them let themselves or the club down. With the restricted number of subs allowed for league games this was perfect for Gus to see which of the youngsters he can call up when needed-he now has a lot more options than he did before the start of today's game.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
It's the FA Cup in which the underdog often steps up their game. Couple that with good performances from the likes of Hall, Adgestein, JFC, Sampayo and I don't think we have anything to moan about. Whoever booed can do one for being an ignorant fukwit.
Look at the bigger picture. Well done to the DS lads.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here