Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop the boats

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree last they took over a thriving economy and brought it to its knees were will we end up this time round.
Are you reading from the Tory book of mantras? That old chestnut that a global financial crash was entirely Gordon Brown's fault.

I'm guessing you're also blaming Johnson for allowing a pandemic (although the inquiry seems to be revealing how inadequate the tories were at dealing with a crisis. Had they been around in 2008 I'm guessing we wouldn't now have any banks!).

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It absolutely boils my piss that the right wing politicians say:

The silent majority
The vocal minority

And reporters let them get away with it - what in gods f*** makes them believe this nonsense. If it was a majority they wouldn’t be silent, if they were a minority they wouldn’t be so vocal.
This seriously pisses me off as well and they never get asked to provide any evidence to support the claim. Essentially what they are saying is that the sick and twisted views of Tory party members are representative of the wider country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It absolutely boils my piss that the right wing politicians say:

The silent majority
The vocal minority

And reporters let them get away with it - what in gods f*** makes them believe this nonsense. If it was a majority they wouldn’t be silent, if they were a minority they wouldn’t be so vocal.
Charlie Stayt had a go, this morning. You can see Clerverly squirming.

Then, on Sky, the deterrent is working so well, that they actually arrive here to be interviewed!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Charlie Stayt had a go, this morning. You can see Clerverly squirming.

Then, on Sky, the deterrent is working so well, that they actually arrive here to be interviewed!

He's got potential.

'Good morning, from a lonely beach in Kent. I've interviewed the passengers who have just arrived on a small boat, and they all confirmed to me that the Rwanda scheme is working as a deterrent' - Home Secretary James Cleverley.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Having a Home Secretary supposedly describing the Rwanda policy 'batshit' gives me at least a grain of hope someone with some semblance of normality might now be in office. (Admittedly I'm in an outrageously optimistic mood today).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This seriously pisses me off as well and they never get asked to provide any evidence to support the claim. Essentially what they are saying is that the sick and twisted views of Tory party members are representative of the wider country.
But there have been surveys that showed that stopping the boats is the population's main worry. I suppose by implication you will now claim that the arrival of thousands of illegal and unchecked immigrants every year is something that the majority of the British people relish.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But there have been surveys that showed that stopping the boats is the population's main worry. I suppose by implication you will now claim that the arrival of thousands of illegal and unchecked immigrants every year is something that the majority of the British people relish.
Rubbish. Here is the result of an actual survey taken this month. With a proven link.

In November 2023, 55 percent of British people thought that the economy was one of the top three issues facing the country, compared with 44 percent who thought that health was one of the top three issues. The ongoing Cost of Living Crisis afflicting the UK, driven by rampant inflation is clearly one of the main concerns of Britons in 2023. Health is also a major issue for people in the UK. The share of people seeing health as a top three issue in January 2023 was the highest it has been since the Omicron wave of COVID-19 the previous winter. Staffing problems, along with increased demand for services have plunged the National Health Service (NHS) into a deep crisis, possibly the worst since its creation in the 1940s. Due to these ongoing problems, it is likely that the economy and health will remain the main issues for Britons throughout early 2023.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Utter rubbish. Priorities at the moment are cost of living, reducing inflation, NHS waiting times and increasingly backing a Gaza ceasefire.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Utter rubbish. Priorities at the moment are cost of living, reducing inflation, NHS waiting times and increasingly backing a Gaza ceasefire.
I don't dispute that this is currently the case, but that does not mean that what I wrote was untrue. And certainly does not mean that the silent majority relish uncontrolled immigration. I appreciate that good people like yourself do so much for the immigrants and feel that it is something to be encouraged.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't dispute that this is currently the case, but that does not mean that what I wrote was untrue. And certainly does not mean that the silent majority relish uncontrolled immigration. I appreciate that good people like yourself do so much for the immigrants and feel that it is something to be encouraged.
Ah, the silent majority again. I've literally just posted an official survey saying differently.

It reminds me of when my teenaged kids wanted something, their mantra was always 'All my friends have got one', but when asking said friends parents, they hadn't at all.

Asylum seekers are not uncontrolled immigration. They either get their asylum granted and can work, or they get deported.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's untrue. You said it's people's "main worry". It isn't. So it's untrue.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

'I suppose by implication you will now claim that the arrival of thousands of illegal and unchecked immigrants every year is something that the majority of the British people relish.'

You made a prediction. Like, in the future. Like, it hasn't happened yet. So that isn't true either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here