Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoooooooooorerrrrrrrrrr

DJhinckley

...and it's Stooooreeer
Jan 14, 2006
independent
Thought you might like to know how Stuart Storer is getting on at Hinckley United. I am pleased to announce that after 5 years and 237 games at Hinckley, Stuart finally scored his first goal for the club last saturday.

This taken from the local rag:

Hinckley United's Stuart Storer could not have picked a more fitting way to give his father the perfect send-off.

Every week during the 38-year-old defender's 237-game goal drought for the Knitters, his dad would phone after the match and ask: "Did you score?"

The answer was always: "No".

Storer sadly suffered the loss of his father during the new year period and the popular defender promptly went and broke his goal duck just over a week later.

And, far from being a tap-in, he ran the length of the pitch before lobbing the keeper from outside the box in Hinckley's 2-2 draw at Lancaster last Saturday.

"It was from about 25 yards," Storer said. "But I've been adding about five yards every time I've told the story!

"Dad would be laughing his head off - the game was on Saturday and the funeral was on Monday - it was so apt."

Storer joined Hinckley in March 2001 from Chesham United after 373 Football League appearances for the likes of Bolton, Brighton and Birmingham.

In his time at the club, he has become an inspiration for those around him - his incredible fitness levels belying his age.

And his popularity was fully evident by the amount of team- mates who jumped on top of him after his shot hit the back of the net.

"I ran on to a move involving Marc McGregor and Jamie Lenton. I was galloping towards the box and knew that if I tried to control the ball, I would probably mess it up, so I thought I might try and lob the keeper.

"He came off his line and was probably thinking 'it's only Storer, I'll give him a chance' - so I lobbed it and knew it was in as soon as I hit it. I was going to sprint off celebrating but I didn't have the energy."

As a winger during his professional career, Storer scored 31 goals, which included the last ever goal at Brighton's Goldstone Ground.

Despite admitting to a few near misses during what amounts to around 20,000 minutes in Hinckley colours, Storer is not expecting to double his tally for a while.

"The manager (Dean Thomas) doesn't allow me over the half way line during the game - even for corners - in case they break away," he said.

The good news for Hinckley fans is that while Storer remains as fit as he has been during his time at the club, he is no mood to hang up his boots.

"I'm thinking that if I can get through this season and remain injury-free, I might carry on for another year," he said.

"I've only missed about 12 games in five years and all of my friends and the people I play with tell me that you should carry on playing for as long as you can."

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Thanks for that.Nice to hear that the legend is still playing and enjoying his football.He will always hold a special place in the hearts of Albion fans:bowdown:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Definitely an Albion LEGEND and he'll always be one of my favourite ever Brighton players.

It's sad to hear about his father, but it's also a great story about the goal and it's good to see he can see the funny side of another of life's great jokes.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Great to read this. Its good to hear about someone who loves the game so much he carrys on playing whatever; and doesn't care about the fact that age will mean dropping down the leagues.

Good luck to him and Hinckley.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good to hear about the great man stilll doing well, he's an absolute cast-iron Albion legend in my book. Hope he keeps going on and on.

steve-c

:drink: cheer's stuart, i can still and will always will remember watching that ball hit the back of the net in the south end, as i watched from the NORTH STAND, memoriers are worth a thousand word's
one word say's it all SSSTTTTTTTOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THANKS MATE :drink: :drink:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We've got stu stu stu stu storer on our wing, on our wing
We've got stu stu stu stu storer on our wing, on our wing
stuart, stuart storer, stuart storer on our wing

That goal was of equil importance to the reinelt goal, what a feeling when the north stand erupted

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Saw him out on the lash in Brighton after our first promotion, he loved the Albion; top man!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Never forget the Klinnsman slide after the Doncaster game, right in front of me!
His Mrs used to work on the door at Corals fitness club, a very nice lady!

DJhinckley

...and it's Stooooreeer
Jan 14, 2006
independent
chez said:
Has he gone into defence now then? It says on that thread that "the popular defender" scored his first goal. If he has I assume that it is because he has lost his legendary pace.

Yeah, he has played sweeper for us ever since he's been here. he occasionally fills in at right back or right midfield if injuries dictate, but definatley has made the 'Kaiser Beckenbauer' role his, and his alone.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hiney said:
You can NEVER get tired of seeing the goal either

storrrrrrrrrrrrrerrrrrrrrr!!

:thumbsup:

Brings back memories. I never thought the bloody ball would go in.
Surely it would be fitting to invite Stoooorrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr along to the opening game of Falmer (godwilling) to score the first goal before kick off...

DJhinckley

...and it's Stooooreeer
Jan 14, 2006
independent
yeah I know it's a bit close to Palace, but the colours are our history - here's Stuart in this season team photo and at the end of last season picking up a Leicestershire FA competition Trophy that Hinckley won.

storer3gv.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here