Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stone Roses - Fools Gold

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
Stone Roses - The Stone Roses - One of the best albums ever IMHO, is amazing, pure quality throughout - However, what pissed me off was that Fools Gold, the following single was, to me, absolute self indulgent, band being lazy as they can sell anything after that quality debut, pile of wank. Not a patch anythign on the album or other top tracks like Sally Cinnemon & Mersey Paradise

Was debating this again yesterday after a good few years & it appears that I am still by far in the minority here, most people love it - am I being blinkered & just missing it completely, or am I right & did people buy into the hype simply because it was the Stone Roses?? I appreciatre differences in musical tastes etc, but just never got it with this one.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I opened this thinking it was going to be a thread about how GOOD fool's gold is.....:eek:

very surprised to hear your opinion on it.

the only thing I will say is it doesn't fit with the album.....but seeing as it wasn't originally on it, that's irrelevant.

that bassline!! That beat!! It is BRILLIANT

I'm going to listen to it RIGHT NOW!:)

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Don't wish to be rude and disagree, but Fool's Gold must be one of the most unbelievably great songs ever written, and anybody who thinks otherwise.....................................................

.......................is wholly entitled to disagree!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I love it.

I think that because of its popularity and its mainstream appeal, some Stone Roses fans tend to turn their noses up at it. It often happens that a bands most popular song can also be their least popular. That track must be the most played Roses song so therefore people who are really into them get pissed off when other people only know that song.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i find it hard to think of a song with a more infectious beat. incredible.

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
think you may be right Mr Partridge - still not sure why I have never liked it, when it seems to have everything in it that I should like. But yet again most people seem to love it....all very strange.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
BBH said:
think you may be right Mr Partridge - still not sure why I have never liked it, when it seems to have everything in it that I should like. But yet again most people seem to love it....all very strange.

strange indeed mr BBH....I suggest you prepare yourself a nice hot bath, perhaps with a bit of Radox....put on some whale song music, light some incense.....by that time you'll be so f***ed off you can whack on Fool's gold and marvel at it's beauty:)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i have the japanese copy of the album which includes fools gold and elephant stone, and it does fit on the end of the album perfectly. it isnt my favorate by a long way. (waterfall is). but the great thing about fools gold is it came out amongst the rave scene and it is an awesome record to dance to. indie music with a differant edge. which is what made it a major early 90's classic.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I think all Stone Roses tracks start OK and then fade away into crappness. Every one of their tracks I've heard does the same

Foolds Gold - good intro, then becomes total pap near the end.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
BBH, the reasons you hate it "absolute self indulgent, band being lazy" are exactly the reasons why the song is so good.

The sheer arrogance of that song gives it the power and as said earlier, the groove is infectious.

Albion, England & Stone Roses forever.

Thimble Keegan
Madrid BHA

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
MYOB said:
I think all Stone Roses tracks start OK and then fade away into crappness. Every one of their tracks I've heard does the same

Foolds Gold - good intro, then becomes total pap near the end.

as Alan Partridge said

'You're wrong' ;)

I have that Japanese copy too but I generally listen to Fools Gold seperately

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Probably so popular because its the only song I think they ever made a proper video for so it will always get played on music channels etc. I think it is the worst song on the album but then the album is f**king awesome so that still makes it a great track!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here