Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke City away support @ Newcastle.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Contrary to popular belief Stoke City aren't a 'big' football club. Their crowds before their elevation to the top flight used to hover around the 13k mark and lower in the second tier unless I'm much mistaken.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, it will be. Maybe not at first but the novelty of being in the Prem will wear off VERY quickly and fans' attitudes will soon change from "Woo hoo we're in the PREMIER LEAGUE!" to "We should be beating teams like Villa." Even in the first season if we're struggling people will say "I'm not going all the way to Newcastle to watch us lose, not after last week against Wigan and not at those prices." You can see the beginnings of this now, I can't believe how many posts I see saying "We should be in the play-offs with the squad we've got" as if mere fact the squad is better than last year's means it's automatically play-off quality. The fact we don't exist in isolation and that other teams have also invested (and invested a lot more) in their squads doesn't even register. Football fans are very very stupid and very very fickle and Brighton fans are no different. We won't maintain our current away numbers in the Prem unless we're pressing for a Champions' League spot.

Excellent post.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yes, it will be. Maybe not at first but the novelty of being in the Prem will wear off VERY quickly and fans' attitudes will soon change from "Woo hoo we're in the PREMIER LEAGUE!" to "We should be beating teams like Villa." Even in the first season if we're struggling people will say "I'm not going all the way to Newcastle to watch us lose, not after last week against Wigan and not at those prices." You can see the beginnings of this now, I can't believe how many posts I see saying "We should be in the play-offs with the squad we've got" as if mere fact the squad is better than last year's means it's automatically play-off quality. The fact we don't exist in isolation and that other teams have also invested (and invested a lot more) in their squads doesn't even register. Football fans are very very stupid and very very fickle and Brighton fans are no different. We won't maintain our current away numbers in the Prem unless we're pressing for a Champions' League spot.

100% solid sense in this post

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That picture just about sums up the away supporters lot......shoved up in an isolated corner of the stadium, stewarded up to the eyeballs, basically unwanted but paying top dollar for the privilege. The away supporters are bloody HEROIC, every last one of them, and should be treated respectfully. Like we do at the Amex.

For all of its money, football has a lot to learn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here