Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stocks and Shares

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Question for someone in the know. Do you pay tax on your profits? Apart from stamp duty.

Really depends if you complete an annual tax return or not as that is the only place you can declare the profit.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yes if profits are over the threshold but Not if they are in an ISa

If you take any/ all the money out of the ISA wrapper it's tax free but you can't put it back but whilst it's in there you can rack up any profits (and losses) to your hearts content.

Be aware you can't put some shares in an ISA a lot of aim stuff is not allowed in - But some are

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you dont pay stamp duty on profits. any profits will attract Capital Gains tax if you make more than the CGT allowance (£10,100) in the financial year.

unless you do as above and trade within an ISA.

you can also sell loss making shares to reduce total capital gains and keep under the CGT allowance. this btw is how companies large and small will avoid big tax bills, by carrying forward losses or writing down the value of assets when convenient for tax reasons.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I've got recovery shares in rbs, lloyds and taylor wimpey and am happy to wait as long as it takes. Barratt developments is another good recovery share. Just bought into afren, an african oil company making decent inroads into african oil.

Had £500 on Barratt Developments for about 6 months. Unfortunately bought at the wrong time and dipped 30/40%. Almost back up to what I paid for them.
However, they are trading at less than 10% of what they were before the recession. Will try and hold on to these for a few more years.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
As others have said investing can be a very risky business but fu if treated that way.

I publish my portfolio (http://www.myportfolio.goodornot.co.uk/) for the fun of it I have about £10,000 invested so nothing big.

I use Halifax (which also runs many other online brokers) because I am lazy abnd I don't invest very often. They also infrequently run free trading sessions which are helpful if buying small amounts or cheap shares.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes you would normally pay capital gains.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here